No Fasting???

Options
I had kinda been planning to almost starve myself for a few days or a week as a start to my renewed interest/attempt at fitness and weight loss. The app says there will be no weight loss projection and cautions that I must be at the minimum 1000 calories per day.
I really rely on the apps to track and keep me motivated, just got a new battery for my Misfit and reinstalled that app, too.
Any advise on little to no food for a few days and keeping it safe and effective while still using the app??
Thanks!

Replies

• kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I really would advise to eat at least the minimum calories set for u, u dont need to starve....I lost 7lbs my first week eating 1700 calories. The app wont work for u if u log under the very minimum.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Seems pointless to me, you'll probably just binge after 36 hours...
  • edean331
    edean331 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    7 pounds in one week?? Did you just eat less overall or make some major changes??
    One reason I want to maybe fast is to kind of break myself from bad habits, with low self discipline I figured a shock to the system is called for
  • edean331
    Options
    Aside from the concern of binging, there really are no other concerns with a short fast are there?? Anyone with experience on this??
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    edean331 wrote: »
    7 pounds in one week?? Did you just eat less overall or make some major changes??
    One reason I want to maybe fast is to kind of break myself from bad habits, with low self discipline I figured a shock to the system is called for
    No major changes just stuck to the calories, I had 60lbs to lose though, iv lost 41 so far but it comes of at 1.5 a week now.
    Honestly just try it for a week eating all the calories mfp sets u, if you have low self discipline the worst thing to do is starve, youll end up bingeing.

• edean331
    Options
    Oh sure, Paula, I get that. But what got me this 30 pound weight gain WAS a lifestyle change, first office job. After 4 years sitting 9-10 hours 5 days a week, lunches at the office and lots of alcohol, I came home to work just over 2 months ago. Now need a whole new overhaul!!
  • edean331
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I fasted for the three days and nearly crashed my car. Do what you want :/

Wow!! Dizziness? Were you exercising too? Just fasting for weight loss? Were there any other factors (meds, booze)??

• edean331
    Options
    Makes sense Kermax, I'm just sooo impatient! I'm the heaviest I've ever been even through 4 pregnancies!! ☹️ The past 4 years have been a haze of exhaustion, stress and alcohol, now I am just so eager to get going! I started out very slim and fit and became so depressed and isolated!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I fasted for the three days and nearly crashed my car. Do what you want :/

Wow!! Dizziness? Were you exercising too? Just fasting for weight loss? Were there any other factors (meds, booze)??

It was mostly confusion, I guess. I was not on any medication and I was fasting so I was not drinking alcohol. Water and black coffee is the only thing I ingested for three days.
  • edean331
    Options
    Paula, you're brilliant!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I hope someone else is watching your children while you're trying to go days without eating. This sounds freaky reckless and dangerous.
  • edean331
    Options
    I hope someone else is watching your children while you're trying to go days without eating. This sounds freaky reckless and dangerous.
    Well, I have fasted from 2-7 days a few times in the past, and rest assured I could likely lay on the couch unconscious for 3 days and as long as the Internet was going strong and there were hot pockets in the freezer and chips and cereal in the cupboards, the children would be just fine and not even notice
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    You only need to lose 30 pounds?

Don't fast. If you're very overweight, have been overeating for a long time (think years), and don't have much to do, fasting for a few days won't have too much of an effect on you. But if you're anywhere near a healthy weight, have to do anything beyond lay in bed, and don't already have tons of extra vitamins/nutrients stored up, you're going to be nauseous, tired, dizzy, and generally feel terrible, and you won't lose significantly more weight than you would've by eating the minimum calories per day.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Paula, you're brilliant!

Much appreciated. "Been there, done that" is all I can say.

82173306.png

• edean331
    Options
    Mentali wrote: »
    You only need to lose 30 pounds?

Don't fast. If you're very overweight, have been overeating for a long time (think years), and don't have much to do, fasting for a few days won't have too much of an effect on you. But if you're anywhere near a healthy weight, have to do anything beyond lay in bed, and don't already have tons of extra vitamins/nutrients stored up, you're going to be nauseous, tired, dizzy, and generally feel terrible, and you won't lose significantly more weight than you would've by eating the minimum calories per day.
    I think you're right! Now that I read you're post, I recall the last time I didn't eat, I drank one "health shake" per day and nothing else for a week, and saw basically no difference.
    I really needed this reality check! :)