No Fasting???

Options

Replies

• maneater390
    maneater390 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    fasting isn't healthy. if you want to attempt quick weight loss look into fat burning where you decrease carbs to about 80 and force your body to burn fat for energy instead of the carbs you are consuming. It is better to eat healthy and in moderation than to starve yourself which shuts down your metabolism.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Honestly? No need to 'fast'. You're not giving your body any nutrition during that time, you'll be hangry, dizzy, exhausted , down and think about food all the time. It can lead to binges when you start eating again. At the beginning of my journey, I had 130lbs to lose and have lost 90lbs of that without any fasts. You'll definitely be happier is you are your calorie goal and NOT lose any more than 2lbs per week. The 2lb per week is really recommended for those who have over 60lbs to lose.
    Mentali wrote: »
    You only need to lose 30 pounds?

Don't fast. If you're very overweight, have been overeating for a long time (think years), and don't have much to do, fasting for a few days won't have too much of an effect on you. But if you're anywhere near a healthy weight, have to do anything beyond lay in bed, and don't already have tons of extra vitamins/nutrients stored up, you're going to be nauseous, tired, dizzy, and generally feel terrible, and you won't lose significantly more weight than you would've by eating the minimum calories per day.
    This
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    edean331 wrote: »
    Makes sense Kermax, I'm just sooo impatient! I'm the heaviest I've ever been even through 4 pregnancies!! ☹️ The past 4 years have been a haze of exhaustion, stress and alcohol, now I am just so eager to get going! I started out very slim and fit and became so depressed and isolated!

You didn't gain the weight overnight, so please take a step back and understand that you need to do this in a healthy, sustainable way.
    This
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I fasted for the three days and nearly crashed my car. Do what you want :/

:( That sucks.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Rather than starving, how about cooking up a bunch of vegetables and some fish or lean meat? Why not view it as treating your body with respect from now on, instead of viewing it as punishing yourself by starving.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    While fasting has its benefits, it sounds like you are not doing it really planned out. People who do Intermittent Fasting are very successful, but obviously it is only one of many options.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    fasting isn't healthy. if you want to attempt quick weight loss look into fat burning where you decrease carbs to about 80 and force your body to burn fat for energy instead of the carbs you are consuming. It is better to eat healthy and in moderation than to starve yourself which shuts down your metabolism.
    There is evidence that fasting can be beneficial, it is not unhealthy.
  • emmadonaldson95
    emmadonaldson95 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I had kinda been planning to almost starve myself for a few days or a week as a start to my renewed interest/attempt at fitness and weight loss. The app says there will be no weight loss projection and cautions that I must be at the minimum 1000 calories per day.
    I really rely on the apps to track and keep me motivated, just got a new battery for my Misfit and reinstalled that app, too.
    Any advise on little to no food for a few days and keeping it safe and effective while still using the app??
    Thanks!

Perhaps you could try the 5.2 diet if you're inclined to this kinda thing? You eat 500 calories 2 days per week (not back to back) but fairly normally the other 5. I've read lots of research to suggest that the body copes well with 5.2 and may actually have health benefits. But to starve for multiple days consecutively is probably not too good for you
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling that you are kind of trying to punish yourself for gaining the weight with this fasting thing. You really don't have to. It happens. What is important is that one day we have decided to change our lifestyle a bit and lose it all. And then sustain it. I don't feel one bit guilty for being overweight in the past now. I feel only proud of myself for sticking to a sustainable 'diet' for 170+ days. Some people here have done it for years. :) You can be one of them too. Easily. Just start slowly, with a reasonable deficit (thinking 1lbs/week), don't do anything which feels like a punishment. It will become easier and easier as you go. Just weigh all your food (I mean all), log it and stick to the weekly deficit. Good luck.
  • emmadonaldson95
    emmadonaldson95 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Aside from the concern of binging, there really are no other concerns with a short fast are there?? Anyone with experience on this??

I went seriously low calorie and i felt great however when i relaxed to more like 1600 i found i was able to do far more in the gym etc. So i depends on your priorities.
  • edean331
    edean331 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Great idea, Emma!
    And yes to the comments noting a punishment element to this particular fasting plan, reading your comments I realize it's true!
    This advice is very helpful, thank you!!
  • edean331
    Options
    Interesting!
    Does it help with rapid weight loss as well?
    Aside from weight gain, I had developed swelling! Another goal with fasting was a reintroduction of various foods noting any related body effects.
    Swelling in my face hands wrists and legs and ankles varying from one day to the next.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Aside from the concern of binging, there really are no other concerns with a short fast are there?? Anyone with experience on this??

General numbers are
    * 3 minutes without air
    * 3 days without water
    * 3 weeks without food

Why would you voluntarily deprive your body of nutrition for a week and get yourself a third of the way to starvation?

Blood sugar dropping, blood pressure dropping, erratic heart rate ... What's not to love?

People do intermittent fasting, but you're talking about days or a week of voluntary starvation. Two completely different things and the fact you're using the words interchangeably says you don't have enough information to proceed safely. I think your weight loss might best be "jump started" by seeing a licensed counselor.
  • msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Most diets have rapid weight loss at the beginning because of water weight. The key is, finding something that makes you lose weight that you can do consistently until you reach the desired goal. You want to find something that makes you lose from .5lbs to a max of 2lbs a week. It doesn't sound like it, but 2 lbs a week is a lot. Fasting just makes it easier to have a deficit in calories, allowing for more wiggle room on the feast days. So it doesn't feel like you're dieting 7 days a week, just the 2,3, or 4 days you chose to fast on. All the diets come down to a calorie deficit at the end of the week basically. How you want to go about that deficit is your choice.

For me, I choose fasting because I get to feel like a normal person 3-4 days a week, I get a break from thinking and eating food all day 3-4 days a week, and my body gains the health benefits from the fasting recovery period. There's also the benefit of it shrinking your appetite, so for these reason, I chose this method for my calorie deficit.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Most diets have rapid weight loss at the beginning because of water weight. The key is, finding something that makes you lose weight that you can do consistently until you reach the desired goal. You want to find something that makes you lose from .5lbs to a max of 2lbs a week. It doesn't sound like it, but 2 lbs a week is a lot. Fasting just makes it easier to have a deficit in calories, allowing for more wiggle room on the feast days. So it doesn't feel like you're dieting 7 days a week, just the 2,3, or 4 days you chose to fast on. All the diets come down to a calorie deficit at the end of the week basically. How you want to go about that deficit is your choice.

For me, I choose fasting because I get to feel like a normal person 3-4 days a week, I get a break from thinking and eating food all day 3-4 days a week, and my body gains the health benefits from the fasting recovery period. There's also the benefit of it shrinking your appetite, so for these reason, I chose this method for my calorie deficit.

This sounds exactly like a binge-restrict cycle and the rational that people try to use that make it "ok".

• msalicia116
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

This sounds exactly like a binge-restrict cycle and the rational that people try to use that make it "ok".

You obviously don't know anything about fasting.
  • edean331
    Options
    Yes, water weight is a concern. I think it is related to salt but it also makes me think of kidneys and body processes.
    I'm thinking a fast may be beneficial here too, if some process is overworked, it can rest.
  • msalicia116
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Yes, water weight is a concern. I think it is related to salt but it also makes me think of kidneys and body processes.
    I'm thinking a fast may be beneficial here too, if some process is overworked, it can rest.

Obviously I have nothing against fasting, especially considering I do it, but I would never do it or recommend anyone do it without them first being fully educated on it. Please research what it is and how to do it before just choosing on a whim that you're just "not going to eat" for awhile. Because that is not how one fasts. That's something completely different.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

No, your kidneys (or other organs) don't "rest" if you become dehydrated. It makes them work harder.

Please take care of yourself.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    @msalicia116, when you say "fasting", what do you mean by it? Even for different kinds of intermittent fasting they have different fasting definitions, so people that are criticizing might not even realize what you're doing and think it's something else.
  • edean331
    Options
    I'm not overthinking it or going crazy! :D
    I've eaten very little to nothing at various times on my life, I have studied medicine in an academic setting and have common sense. I am just a regular person of average intelligence like everyone else :)
    To me the definition of fasting is consuming water only, though I do typically drink other beverages. I refer to my liquids only as fasting but view true fasting as strictly water.
    I haven't been online in a minute, thanks for the reminder, Mentali!