Waist Trainers...

Options
Do these have real benefits with exercising or lasting waist slimming?
I used to have a flat tummy with abs but always consciously stood up straight and "held it in".
Working an office job alone behind a desk and just slumped and relaxed, we'll definitely not a flat tummy now.
I bought a simple Velcro waist trainer and it certainly helps with the silhouette and and makes me more conscious of my posture. It also helps for a bit after I take it off.
Does anyone have long term experience or suggestions?
Im thinking of trying a corset too.

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    edean331 wrote: »
    I bought a simple Velcro waist trainer and it certainly helps with the silhouette and and makes me more conscious of my posture. It also helps for a bit after I take it off.
    Does anyone have long term experience or suggestions?
    Im thinking of trying a corset too.

Please don't do what you're doing
  • edean331
    edean331 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Umm, ok, but why?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    A waste of money, it doesnt help you at all. When you take it off your waist shape returns.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Umm, ok, but why?

This basically:

queenliz99 wrote: »
    A waste of money, it doesnt help you at all. When you take it off your waist shape returns.

I'd also add that waist training with corsets can be physically dangerous if taken too far.

these "waist trainers" are a bastardized version of a REAL corset and REAL waist training (aka tightlacing).

I've said it time and time again, so i'm going to copy and paste it....

Waist training is something you should only consider going into because you love corsets and WANT to waist train. Beware: waist training does re-arrange your organs and it can over time make it to where you NEED a corset because you atrophy core strength.

maxresdefault.jpg

Now if this is the products you're referring to they are falsely called "waist cinchers". They are in fact NOT a true waist cincher (a type of corset) as they lack laces and boning. They therefore do not offer the level of compression or support an actual corset does to perform waist training. They are simply shapewear.

Waist training with corsets IS real but involves steel boned corsets being worn for many hours a day for months at a time. This rearranges organs and narrows your ribs.

These "waist cinchers" are only closed with a fish and hook lock at the front of the corset and contain no boning. They are made of neoprene (non breathable material) to help you sweat.

So let's get this straight. If you're asking about the above It's a compression garment similar to spanx, made of material to make you sweat, and only intended to be worn for a short duration of time (while exercising).

Any benefit you'll receive from this product will be incredibly minimal and temporary (water weight).

p.s. real corsets look like this:
    L1000169-Timeless-Trends-Burgundy-Hourglass-Corset-Victoria-Dagger-Alyxander-Ryan.jpg

L1000151-Timeless-Trends-Burgundy-Hourglass-Corset-Victoria-Dagger-Alyxander-Ryan.jpg

to perform REAL waist training these corsets must be worn for hours and hours and hours every single day. You cannot/should not exercise in them.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Also, if you're using a waist trainer to improve your posture, you're doing it wrong. If you had weak legs, would you get casts on your leg to help support your upper body weight? All you're doing is REDUCING the strength needed in your core to hold better posture. You want better posture? Work on it.
    You want a flatter stomach? Reduce your body fat %.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

yes, so in other words.... you are not "training" s#!t. You are doing the opposite of "training"
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Also, if you're using a waist trainer to improve your posture, you're doing it wrong. If you had weak legs, would you get casts on your leg to help support your upper body weight? All you're doing is REDUCING the strength needed in your core to hold better posture. You want better posture? Work on it.
    You want a flatter stomach? Reduce your body fat %.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

yes, so in other words.... you are not "training" s#!t. You are doing the opposite of "training"

ie Atrophy
  • edean331
    Options
    Point taken, rainbowbow.
    I am actually referring to a Velcro "waist trainer", as the box noted, next to the yoga mats and Pilates videos.
    The corsets are lovely, but I'm not at that phase and don't really plan on it, so nothing extreme, just wondering about exercise related waist apparatus :) and any trimming effects.
    One thing is certain, it holds in my tummy and really helps me be more aware of my posture, which I need to!!
  • edean331
    Options
    Listen guys, I'm not going to the extreme, I'm just looking for a little support and reminder as I begin adopting better habits which first requires some conscious thoughts and efforts. I tend to be very forgetful, so this Velcro spandex belt is a nice reminder, "don't forget to stand up straight cause we are on a mission of health and strength" and it works! :)
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Wear one if you want. Just go into it knowing it is neither going to help you lose weight or give you any sort of permanent shape/silhouette change.

While I've only ever worn boned corsets, I'd imagine a waist trainer is far more comfortable, and you probably feel far more sexier in it, than Spanx (waist trainers older sibling).

As far as during exercise, if you need lower back/posture support for it, buy an appliance actually designed to be up to the task.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    If you are going for strength then the waist trainer is not a good choice. It does some of the work your muscles normally do and makes them weaker.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,508 Member
    Options
    Point taken, rainbowbow.
    I am actually referring to a Velcro "waist trainer", as the box noted, next to the yoga mats and Pilates videos.
    The corsets are lovely, but I'm not at that phase and don't really plan on it, so nothing extreme, just wondering about exercise related waist apparatus :) and any trimming effects.
    One thing is certain, it holds in my tummy and really helps me be more aware of my posture, which I need to!!
    No trimming effects since fat loss is dependent on a calorie deficit and not compression. If compression worked, then people wearing tight clothes all the time should get thinner in those places and unfortunately that's not happening.
    And again, if it's taking away the use of your own muscle to support posture, then you're not strengthening the muscles needed to keep improving it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• edean331
    Options
    Well I don't need lower back support to exercise, so I guess I'll just use it in the meantime until I become more consistently focused on my posture :)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    OP if you are talking about a velcro waist trimmer to be used to "sweat in" during exercise, this is to be worn only during exercise to loose water weight.. this temporary weight.. and should only be worn during exercise, not all day to remind you to sit up straight (sorry to be so blunt)..

And I am of the opinion anything worn to compress the stomach/abs worn longer than hour and worn day after day is naturally going to weaken your core muscles, compress your organs, possibly cause breathing problems if worn to long or too tight etc..

Why not diet and exercise? .. strengthen your core and you will naturally begin to sit and stand up straighter.. bad posture can be worked on with conscious effort..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,508 Member
    Options
    Listen guys, I'm not going to the extreme, I'm just looking for a little support and reminder as I begin adopting better habits which first requires some conscious thoughts and efforts. I tend to be very forgetful, so this Velcro spandex belt is a nice reminder, "don't forget to stand up straight cause we are on a mission of health and strength" and it works! :)
    So let's say later you take it off. What's going to remind you then? Not trying to be harsh here, but it's like taking diet pills to suppress appetite. Once the pills are gone, did one really learn how to suppress appetite on their own?
    Good habits start with repetition. Start with just sitting up straight for a week and keep going from there.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    1. Just Why?
    2. False advertising

Haha, sorry. Just my pov :)
  • edean331