Is no protein for 72 hours safe?

Options
Since I have a history of chronic constipation/inflammation, my colonoscopy and endoscopy prep has been extended from 1 day to 3 days. I'm only allowed certain clear liquids and I don't consume chicken/beef broth. I have to drink over a gallon of water a day with each bottle of prep, throughout the day and can't do any intense exercises or cardio, with the exception of running, light yoga, and stretching. Will I be alright? I've build up muscle mass while losing fat over a span of 2 years through recomp. I also recently hit a personal weight lifting and leg press record of mine. Am worried about losing mass and strength. Also, I'm horrible with liquid diets, let alone clear liquid. I can maybe reach 500 calories if lucky but I'm just not used to it. So I'll probably automatically be consuming only 500 calories of liquids for the next 3 days. Will this hurt me as well? Opinions?

Replies

• DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    If I'm understanding, due to history of constipation, your doctor has put you on a 3 day prep. If that's correct, follow the doctor's orders. You will probably face a setback at the gym, but no worse than being out from a cold. 3 days won't be bad, but will probably force you to take a couple easy days getting back. You can't do anything about it, just follow the doctor's orders.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Not eating protein for a few days is not going to do any real harm, especially if you aren't doing any kind of intense exercise that will break down muscle fibers. You won't likely see any change in your exercise routine, or very little. It generally takes a week or two to see substantial strength loss, but it all depends on how "fit" you were before your break. Cardio will likely start to suffer after about a week but you should be good until then as long as you're not suffering with an illness that your body has to focus on fighting.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine...three days isn't even a blip on the radar in the grand scheme of things.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    You can also get more than 500 calories in a day on a clear liquid diet by consuming things like Gatorade, popsicles, hard candies and non-pulp fruit juices. You don't want to be on that high of a deficit, or you will start to consume your bodies protein supply (i.e. your muscle fibers).
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Eat jello too
  • VividVegan
    VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    You can also get more than 500 calories in a day on a clear liquid diet by consuming things like Gatorade, popsicles, hard candies and non-pulp fruit juices. You don't want to be on that high of a deficit, or you will start to consume your bodies protein supply (i.e. your muscle fibers).

That's another thing I was worried about. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Believe me you won't be doing any exercising during prep except running to the bathroom
  • VividVegan
    Options
    Eat jello too

I'll have to search for a vegan type as some jellos aren't vegan. I haven't had jello in ages lol.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Sorry didn't notice the vegan thing! I'm a colonoscopy prep queen as I get them yearly for Crohn's but not vegan
  • VividVegan
    Options
    Sorry didn't notice the vegan thing! I'm a colonoscopy prep queen as I get them yearly for Crohn's but not vegan

It's ok. And that's what I'm getting tested for actually... Crohn's requires a yearly colonoscopy?
  • mnbcxtghh
    mnbcxtghh Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have done a 3 day fast before. Only consuming fruit juice and water. After three days I felt awesome... The first day was rough but after that it was cool.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    VividVegan wrote: »

It's ok. And that's what I'm getting tested for actually... Crohn's requires a yearly colonoscopy?

Not usually but I have a severe form with complications so yes.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Yes in a 72 hour span your body will consume several pounds of muscle. No you'll be fine, If you're that worried try supplementing with BCAAs for the prep days