Carbs...are still carbs?

Options

Replies

• jackfox68
    jackfox68 Posts: 27 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Eating a high carb low fat diet. My body processes the fuel I eat differently. I am insulin resistant. The best results I have had so far is LCHF. It is not as simple as energy in energy out. There is a lot of great emerging research that supports this.
  • jackfox68
    Options
    Could you be more condescending?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    jackfox68 wrote: »
    Eating a high carb low fat diet. My body processes the fuel I eat differently.

This doesn't explain how you could be burning more than you consumed and yet gaining weight.
    I am insulin sensitive.

Healthy people are insulin sensitive. The condition that some have that leads to T2D if not checked is insulin resistance. IR actually makes it harder to gain fat -- the cells are resistant to the insulin telling them to do so -- but the body compensates, so long as it can, by increasing the production of insulin. For some this seems to increase appetite. It doesn't provide any means to put on fat when burning more than consumed, but instead explains why many IR people struggle with reducing their calories unless they reduce carbs or combine them with protein and fat.
    The best results I have had so far is LCHF. It is not as simple as energy in energy out. There is a lot of great emerging research that supports this.

Nothing credible that I have seen.

If you mean to make people able to keep a deficit, especially if they have already become IR, sure.
  • jackfox68
    Options
    I meant to say insulin resistant, not sensitive.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    Create energy out of nothing? Not following.
    You said that you created a 500 calories deficit and went up a few pounds. How did that energy get created if you were at a deficit of energy.

It is pretty simple - the fat cells in, having been insulin resistant, are inflamed and increase their metabolic activity. This makes them store even more of the body's incoming energy.

wrong again
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    but the nutritionist disagrees saying veggies are still carbs and you can't lose weight eating carbs.

I would never ever take nutritional advice from this person. Seriously! And if you were referred to them by a medical entity I'd file a complaint.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    You said that you created a 500 calories deficit and went up a few pounds. How did that energy get created if you were at a deficit of energy.

It is pretty simple - the fat cells in, having been insulin resistant, are inflamed and increase their metabolic activity. This makes them store even more of the body's incoming energy.

No, insulin resistance causes cells to be progressively more unable to absorb glucose from the bloodstream.
  • jackfox68
    Options

No, insulin resistance causes cells to be progressively more unable to absorb glucose from the bloodstream.

And the pancreas produces more insulin to overcome the resistance, then the excess glucose gets stored as fat.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Where are the references in the article you linked? What is "fat storage mode"? In years of teaching Health, Nutrition, Genetics, and Chemistry, I have never heard of this term. A lot of opinion and very little science in that link.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I eat veg on LCHF. Not a lot, because the fibre irritates my gut. Generally the ones recommended on LCHF are the ones growing above ground, green veg mostly, that doesn't have a lot of carbs. (Leafy greens, zucchini, brocolli and so on)

Low carb is not no carb. Even at ketogenic level you still can eat up to 20-50g a day, coming from veg. Which is about my limit currently. Like some low carbers, I count net carbs. You subtract fibre. That can give you even more flexibility.

Sounds like your nutritionist has some misconceptions. Maybe confusing low carb with carnivore or something.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    I've started eating a ton of vegetables over the last week. I found a farmers market and got a lot of celery, cucumbers, zucchini, carrots, and apples.

Instead of chips and a sandwich, I have a sandwich with carrots and cucumbers.

I was under the impression that eating low calorie fresh foods would surely be a path to weight loss but the nutritionist disagrees saying veggies are still carbs and you can't lose weight eating carbs.

This sort of made my head spin... Any input to this?
    Don't talk to a nutritionist. Especially one who states that one can't lose weight eating carbs. Speak to a Registered Dietician.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png