Carbs...are still carbs?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Well, more so not to eat too many veggies. She says I should be eating or drinking protein and having very few carbs.

I added a banana to my protein shake, for flavor and because I was getting leg cramps, she told me it was wasted calories and not a significant source or potassium... and too much sugar.
    Is she really a nutritionist or a personal trainer giving nutrition advice? If so, don't listen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    jackfox68 wrote: »
    Create energy out of nothing? Not following.
    You said that you created a 500 calories deficit and went up a few pounds. How did that energy get created if you were at a deficit of energy.

It is pretty simple - the fat cells in, having been insulin resistant, are inflamed and increase their metabolic activity. This makes them store even more of the body's incoming energy.

No, insulin resistance causes cells to be progressively more unable to absorb glucose from the bloodstream.

And the pancreas produces more insulin to overcome the resistance, then the excess glucose gets stored as fat.

No, it doesn't.
  • jackfox68
    jackfox68 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Tons of links to studies on that blog. Take the time to read it.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Why do you think that super skinny gamer friend never gains weight, because the way he body processes the food is different from myself.
    Or maybe because they game a lot, they don't eat more than they need to.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• geneticsteacher
    Options
    "In insulin resistance, muscle, fat, and liver cells do not respond properly to insulin and thus cannot easily absorb glucose from the bloodstream. As a result, the body needs higher levels of insulin to help glucose enter cells.

The beta cells in the pancreas try to keep up with this increased demand for insulin by producing more. As long as the beta cells are able to produce enough insulin to overcome the insulin resistance, blood glucose levels stay in the healthy range.

Over time, insulin resistance can lead to type 2 diabetes and prediabetes because the beta cells fail to keep up with the body's increased need for insulin. Without enough insulin, excess glucose builds up in the bloodstream, leading to diabetes, prediabetes, and other serious health disorders."

From https://niddk.nih.gov/health-information/diabetes/types/prediabetes-insulin-resistance

I suggest you read this.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    My diet becomes much more vegetable centric in the late summer and fall when the farmers markets are in full swing. I love meat, but when there is fresh fruits and vegetables to eat it can't be beat.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    You said that you created a 500 calories deficit and went up a few pounds. How did that energy get created if you were at a deficit of energy.

It is pretty simple - the fat cells in, having been insulin resistant, are inflamed and increase their metabolic activity. This makes them store even more of the body's incoming energy.

No, insulin resistance causes cells to be progressively more unable to absorb glucose from the bloodstream.

Yeah, and since they don't have glucose, they become worried about starvation and begin storing more fat to make up the difference in energy.
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I've started eating a ton of vegetables over the last week. I found a farmers market and got a lot of celery, cucumbers, zucchini, carrots, and apples.

Instead of chips and a sandwich, I have a sandwich with carrots and cucumbers.

I was under the impression that eating low calorie fresh foods would surely be a path to weight loss but the nutritionist disagrees saying veggies are still carbs and you can't lose weight eating carbs.

This sort of made my head spin... Any input to this?
    Don't talk to a nutritionist. Especially one who states that one can't lose weight eating carbs. Speak to a Registered Dietician.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

They don't have to be registered. Some people are politically against registering as against their freedoms to dietary advice as they see fit.
    Lol, a Registered Dietician is LICENSED. One who doesn't, isn't. So would rather consult a lawyer who can pass the bar and practice law, or have a lawyer who can't? You have some of the oddest answers to people's questions.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • jackfox68
    Options
    ", blood glucose levels stay in the healthy range.

Once the pancreas produces enough insulin to overcome the resistance what happens to the glucose in your blood stream? Where and how does it get stored?
  • geneticsteacher
    Options

Once the pancreas produces enough insulin to overcome the resistance what happens to the glucose in your blood stream? Where and how does it get stored?

It gets taken into cells and is used for energy. It does not get STORED (other than the small amount stored as glycogen) unless you are eating calories in excess of what is needed for metabolism/exercise/TEF, etc.
  • jackfox68
    Options

It gets taken into cells and is used for energy. It does not get STORED (other than the small amount stored as glycogen) unless you are eating calories in excess of what is needed for metabolism/exercise/TEF, etc.

Your muscles can only store roughly 300 grams of carbs at a time. If you are already at that limit, then the rest would get stored as fat, no?
  • ninerbuff
    edited August 2016
    Options

Yeah, and since they don't have glucose, they become worried about starvation and begin storing more fat to make up the difference in energy.
    I've started eating a ton of vegetables over the last week. I found a farmers market and got a lot of celery, cucumbers, zucchini, carrots, and apples.

Instead of chips and a sandwich, I have a sandwich with carrots and cucumbers.

I was under the impression that eating low calorie fresh foods would surely be a path to weight loss but the nutritionist disagrees saying veggies are still carbs and you can't lose weight eating carbs.

This sort of made my head spin... Any input to this?
    Don't talk to a nutritionist. Especially one who states that one can't lose weight eating carbs. Speak to a Registered Dietician.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

They don't have to be registered. Some people are politically against registering as against their freedoms to dietary advice as they see fit.
    Lol, a Registered Dietician is LICENSED. One who doesn't, isn't. So would rather consult a lawyer who can pass the bar and practice law, or have a lawyer who can't? You have some of the oddest answers to people's questions.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Of course. If I could have a lawyer represent me who hadn't passed the bar, I'd know he could win. He's already overcome the laws about needing to pass the bar to represent someone, so I'd be confident that lawyer could overcome the laws I need overcome.
    Lol, good luck with that then. BTW, you do know that it's illegal for a lawyer who hasn't passed the bar (of any particular state) to represent anyone in a court of law? Even licensed lawyers in one state need to be bar admitted to another state or jurisdiction to practice law. BOOM again.

Now back to the OP's issue.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• geneticsteacher
    Options

Your muscles can only store roughly 300 grams of carbs at a time. If you are already at that limit, then the rest would get stored as fat, no?

No. It would be used for energy unless you were eating more calories from any source (carbs, protein, fat) than you needed.
  • jackfox68
    Options

No. It would be used for energy unless you were eating more calories from any source (carbs, protein, fat) than you needed.

Your body can not store more than 300 grams of carbs (energy) at a given time. Once your muscle cells have reached this limit, any excess energy is going to be stored as fat.