Callous in palms starting to hurt

Options
Gimsteinn
Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
Ok since I've started lifting my palms have been collecting lots of callouses. And to me that's not a problem..
I do however have a big problem with how much that thick patch of skin is starting to hurt when I open and close my palms or just use my hands for basically everything but lifting.

Is there anyway to reduce the callouses without taking a break or using hand lotion? And is feeling pain from them just something I'm gonna have to get used to?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if your grip is off and causing more calluses than usual.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    It's not ideal but i find the only way I can get round it, is by using a nail file to remove the excess skin. You'll be surprised at how much it reduces the pain, I wasn't for taking a break either..
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Callus shaver.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    Callus shaver.

This, or a pumice stone, or an equivalent sort of thing (there are various types of tools/products that are a bit abrasive that you can use to groom your calluses down a bit periodically). Look in a big drugstore in the section for foot care for tools people use to abrade coarse skin on their heels, for example.

I don't get calluses from lifting, but it's pretty routine among frequent rowers like me to get calluses from the oar handles. If we don't reduce them periodically, the whole thing tends to come off, then we have thin fresh skin at that spot and have to start over again, sometimes from the blister stage. Not good. I'm not sure whether the weight-lifting ones behave the same way.

It helps to soak them for a while before abrading - like maybe do it right after hand-washing a sink of dishes, after a full bath or jacuzzi/hot-tub soak, or at least after a good shower.
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Corn Huskers Lotion helps.
  • lenoresdream
    lenoresdream Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Can you wear lifting gloves to lift? Some people don't like to so I ask. It will help prevent them from getting worse.

I used to work in a warehouse so I had really bad callouses on my hands. I think I just moisturised a lot to help. I also tried those aloe gloves at night, put on lotion and wore those. It helped.

Good luck op!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I was also thinking lifting gloves. I got mine at Target.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Lifting gloves weaken your grip a little and they certainly don't protect me from callouses

Watch this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9OK-S3ZJZxQ
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    What I do: before changing razor blades on my razor, I shave my callouses down. They get flat and even with my palm again and they don't "snag" on any clothing. Just do it under a faucet. You'll be amazed at how fast and easy it is and the results last for a little while.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I wear lifting gloves - they improve my grip ( @Sued0nim !) and I prefer to wear out gloves rather than my hands!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I wear lifting gloves - they improve my grip ( @Sued0nim !) and I prefer to wear out gloves rather than my hands!

That's good to hear @sijomial ...My trainer says it makes my grip less and it's better to just chalk ...I still wear my gloves...cos I'm like that
  • Gimsteinn
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

That's good to hear @sijomial ...My trainer says it makes my grip less and it's better to just chalk ...I still wear my gloves...cos I'm like that

I can't wear gloves all the time. Some of my training requires my hands to be able to rotate around the iron and gloves don't allow that. Hands are way more slippery. But I've seen people with gloves and always thought that it looks so badass.
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    What I do: before changing razor blades on my razor, I shave my callouses down. They get flat and even with my palm again and they don't "snag" on any clothing. Just do it under a faucet. You'll be amazed at how fast and easy it is and the results last for a little while.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I'm not sure I'm willing to shave off my skin, it's sounds scary. But I'll give it a go if the nail file idea @JoshuaMcAllister mentioned doesn't work.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

@Sued0nim
    Personal preference really.
    I don't like chalk and the ladies in my life don't like callouses!

One interesting thing I've noticed with gloves is that despite making conscious efforts to keep things even I still wear out the glove on my dominant hand first. Weird huh?
  • Gimsteinn
    Options
    @sijomial Not weird at all. Video tape yourself during pull ups and when you get tired, you can see that you're dominant hand pulls more. At least I can see it in my videos and I'm trying hard to correct it.
  • dreaming13000
    dreaming13000 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    Callus shaver.

This, or a pumice stone, or an equivalent sort of thing (there are various types of tools/products that are a bit abrasive that you can use to groom your calluses down a bit periodically). Look in a big drugstore in the section for foot care for tools people use to abrade coarse skin on their heels, for example.

I don't get calluses from lifting, but it's pretty routine among frequent rowers like me to get calluses from the oar handles. If we don't reduce them periodically, the whole thing tends to come off, then we have thin fresh skin at that spot and have to start over again, sometimes from the blister stage. Not good. I'm not sure whether the weight-lifting ones behave the same way.

It helps to soak them for a while before abrading - like maybe do it right after hand-washing a sink of dishes, after a full bath or jacuzzi/hot-tub soak, or at least after a good shower.

THIS! work on them a couple days a week in the shower. Otherwise you will eventually rip them off, and ain't nobody got time for that lol!!! Seriously it hurts! I don't use gloves, they never prevented the callous formation and just get in the way . For kipping or bar muscle ups I wear gymnastics leather grippers now. Mainly protects from ripping them off.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Pumice stone
    A minutes worth of time in the shower a few days a week & that's it