When should I bulk

Options
cingle87
cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
Just a quick quest I started my healthy eating with thr goal of loosing about 5st, to help this along ive just been doing weight lifting with little to no cardio some weeks. My question is im nearly 2 months in and my my next weigh in should be around 20lb lighter than i started. I know you cant build muscle on a defcit above the "newbie" gains but Im wondering would it be benifical for me to bulk for a while to build some muscl or should I keep cutting to till I get closer to my ideal weight?

My origonal plan was to cut up to 1st/14lb off my goal and then do a cycle of cut and bulk. Is that the way I should go or start my cut bulk cycle earlier.

P.s. when I hit my goal i plan on maintain weight while lower bf increasin LBM.

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what your goal is ... I read your profile and if you are just trying to be healthy and fit, then I wouldn't worry about bulking and cutting at all. Is there a particular reason you have for wanting to incorporate bulking/cutting into your lifestyle? I know it's necessary for people who compete, as well as people, who have been lifting for a long time and want to build muscle.

I did the bulking/cutting thing awhile back and realized it wasn't for me (at least, at this time). In hindsight, it felt like a waste of money and time (and getting fat for no reason). So, I got myself lean(ish) again, and am still realizing gains in strength (as measured by increasing my One-Rep Max on various exercises). So, I think I started a bulk too early, and didn't realize that I had more muscle-building/strength-building potential in me, that didn't require a calorie surplus diet.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what your goal is ... I read your profile and if you are just trying to be healthy and fit, then I wouldn't worry about bulking and cutting at all. Is there a particular reason you have for wanting to incorporate bulking/cutting into your lifestyle? I know it's necessary for people who compete, as well as people, who have been lifting for a long time and want to build muscle.

I did the bulking/cutting thing awhile back and realized it wasn't for me (at least, at this time). In hindsight, it felt like a waste of money and time (and getting fat for no reason). So, I got myself lean(ish) again, and am still realizing gains in strength (as measured by increasing my One-Rep Max on various exercises). So, I think I started a bulk too early, and didn't realize that I had more muscle-building/strength-building potential in me, that didn't require a calorie surplus diet.

Nice reply. :)