FitBit

Replies

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    I started with the Zip and I now have the Alta. Both are great and give me the info I want. I bought my Alta a few months ago at Target and it came with a $20 gift card. I'm not sure if they are still doing that but it would be worth looking into.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited August 2016
    I find they drop to bits within 6 months.

Meaning they break? Mine haven't. My original band did, but fitbit replaced that for free.
    You said yours hadn't then said it had and it was replaced?

Both mine and my husbands charge HR broke within 6 months. They were replaced free but they shouldn't break so easy in the first place.
    The amount of people on the fit bit forums that it has happened to is ridiculous. Very badly made. My button completely fell off. I would never recommend them.
    THE BAND broke. Not the fitbit.
    Not a surprise, given that you have to remove the fitbit from the band over and over.

Fwiw: amazon has replacement bands for just a few dollars.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    I would advise against buying the HR version...they are no more accurate for step counting and 24 hour HR monitoring is relatively pointless unless you have a heart condition (in which case you would need a medical HR monitor and not a fitness band)

Get yourself a basic clip on like the zip or one ...they can attach to a waistband, pocket or bra and are unobtrusive and more cost effective. Or if you prefer the wristband version a flex or alta

Yeah I agree. I stay away from the hr monitors because without a chest band, it's not really that accurate. I love my Alta.
  • kingswaychi
    kingswaychi Posts: 36 Member
    I started off with the fitbit one and loved that, I then wanted one for my wrist I had a couple of flex's they were great. Tried the charge hr but found the hr part not very effective for some reason, maybe a faulty one? So exchanged that for the alta and love it.
  • songbird13291
    songbird13291 Posts: 120 Member
    Rumor has it there will be two new models in the fall. One will be an upgrade to the Charge, th other will be a Flex that's "swim proof". If a waterproof model is what you're looking for, I'd wait to buy the new flex.
  • Caroline393
    Caroline393 Posts: 71 Member
    Not really part of the discussion, but since you all seem to know about fitbits and have synced them to MFP, maybe one of you could help me? I've had the charge hr for a couple of days and it works fine with my phone and all, but I can't get MFP to sync with the Fitbit app. Every time I hit connect, it takes me to a login page. I try to log in, but then it tells me I have to do it through Facebook, even though I didn't use Facebook to set it up. But I tried it just in case, and it started creating me a new account. Has anyone else had this issue? Am I doing something wrong?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member

What does? I've had my One since Christmas 2012 and it's in perfect condition... except for the tooth mark where my then-puppy decided it might be a treat when I left it on the coffee table.
  • Colorscheme
    SueInAz wrote: »

What does? I've had my One since Christmas 2012 and it's in perfect condition... except for the tooth mark where my then-puppy decided it might be a treat when I left it on the coffee table.

My Charge fell apart within 3-4 months. The glue and stuff separated where the screen was, but apparently that's a known flaw in that model.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member

Meaning they break? Mine haven't. My original band did, but fitbit replaced that for free.

Both mine and my husbands charge HR broke within 6 months. They were replaced free but they shouldn't break so easy in the first place.
    The amount of people on the fit bit forums that it has happened to is ridiculous. Very badly made. My button completely fell off. I would never recommend them.
    Not a surprise, given that you have to remove the fitbit from the band over and over.

You can't remove the charge hr from the band.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    SueInAz wrote: »

I was talking about the charge hr
  • fowlerly
    fowlerly Posts: 40 Member
    I loved my charge hr until this week! Had it less than 2 years and the clip along with the button broke off from the display. So it won't display anything but still syncs with my phone except now the charger doesn't stay in without that clip. Emailed Fitbit and they said they would give me a 25% discount towards a new one! You've got to be kidding me this is not something that should happen and I certainly did not mishandle my tracker in any way! So so very disappointed!
  • Colorscheme
    edited August 2016
    fowlerly wrote: »
    I loved my charge hr until this week! Had it less than 2 years and the clip along with the button broke off from the display. So it won't display anything but still syncs with my phone except now the charger doesn't stay in without that clip. Emailed Fitbit and they said they would give me a 25% discount towards a new one! You've got to be kidding me this is not something that should happen and I certainly did not mishandle my tracker in any way! So so very disappointed!

I think they are warrantied for a certain amount of time. I've had two fitbit issues, mine were replaced because it was within a 3-4 month period since I bought them, but then I decided to switch from a Charge to an Alta and have had zero issues since. At two years, I can see why they wouldn't replace your FB completely but they should have offered a bigger discount.
  • Ricksh1000
    Ricksh1000 Posts: 88 Member
    Is a fitbit worth it for me? My cardio is 99% cycling (when my health improves). I have thought about getting one but don't want to if walking is it's main function.
    For cycling i have always used Map My Ride which also shows calories burned against distance/time/elevation.
  • Colorscheme
    Ricksh1000 wrote: »
    Is a fitbit worth it for me? My cardio is 99% cycling (when my health improves). I have thought about getting one but don't want to if walking is it's main function.
    For cycling i have always used Map My Ride which also shows calories burned against distance/time/elevation.

Actually, the newer models have an auto track feature. it can distinguish walking, running, biking, etc. I will admit it is no good for strength training but that seems like common sense.
  • Ricksh1000
    Ricksh1000 Posts: 88 Member
    Actually, the newer models have an auto track feature. it can distinguish walking, running, biking, etc. I will admit it is no good for strength training but that seems like common sense.

Thanks for that. I think I'll do a bit more research and then make a decision. If I can use it for cycling I'll definitely get one :)
  • mom2wessarah
    mom2wessarah Posts: 72 Member
    edited August 2016
    I started with the Charge HR and I love it! I got it on sale at Bed Bath and Beyond, plus the 20% off coupon.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited August 2016

You can't remove the charge hr from the band.

Indeed. My post was about my flex.

I had it from launch day until November 2015 with no problems, other than the first band tearing. Which, as I said, they replaced. I've had the Charge since november. No bits yet.
  • andream1976
    andream1976 Posts: 77 Member
    I have had my Fitbit One for about 3 weeks now and I love it. I love that I can clip to my bra and it's not visible or in the way. It seems to be pretty accurate in terms of calories and steps and that's all I really wanted. It has all the basic features for a decent price. I got mine off Amazon for $80 and it included the clip. The only thing I have noticed is that mine does not keep a charge for 2 full weeks like they claim it does. I get about a week. Now, I do wear mine all the time and until today I had the syncing set up as "Continuous." After a little investigating I found out that your battery MAY loose charge faster if you have your device set to continuously sync. So I turned that feature off and we'll see if that helps.
  • daworley
    daworley Posts: 238 Member
    I have an Alta, had a Charge for a while prior, but had trouble with it holding a charge. I love my Alta, I have worn it every day for the three months I have had it. It is slender and you can buy all sorts of different bands for it, if desired. I like that it tracks my sleep, lets me know when I have a text on my iphone, reminds me to take 250 steps an hour during the day (you can set it for however many steps you want per hour) syncs with MFP, etc. I think you will be happy with any of them!
  • WeAreTheMassacre
    WeAreTheMassacre Posts: 49 Member
    Fitbit fan since 2012. I still have the Fitbit Ultra, which I don't think Is sold anymore. Basically a Fitbit One(just tracks steps )Still works 4 years later.

I wear my Fitbit Blaze watch while not at work. The steps are not quite as accurate as the ones you just clip on to your pocket , but the resting heart rate is spot on (I've compared it go heart rate monitor you strap to your chest )
    The exercise heart rate is way too low. Usually off 15 to 20mpm during intense work outs.

As for why you might need 24 hour heart rate info? People like me that have anxiety. I can observe what sets off my stress so I know to avoid those things and take a minute to calm down. Best purchase ive made because of that alone. If you email them and ask for a 25 percent off coupon they'll usually give you one.

My ex gf even had a fitbit one break on her and they sent her a new one even though it was out of warranty by years. They didn't ask questions, no proof of receipt, no nothing. Their customer service is pretty too notch.