What do you put in your oatmeal?

Options
124»

Replies

• Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon and whatever fruit I brought with me typically apples or bananas
    I tried Maple Syrup for a while but it just wasn't worth the calories to flavor ratio
  • LilRiver
    LilRiver Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite sweet oatmeal is to cook the oatmeal with a pinch of cinnamon & nutmeg* and then dump it over a cut up peach and top with just a bit of cookie butter (it's good without the cookie butter, but the cookie butter takes it to a whole other level). Occasionally, I'll add some chopped pecans. When peaches aren't in season, I do the same with blueberries.

Another favorite is to cook the oatmeal with a pinch of cinnamon & nutmeg and add just a touch of vanilla. Mash up a banana, chop some walnuts. When the oatmeal is almost done, add the mashed bananas to heat them up and get just a bit mushier. I slice off a few bits of banana before mashing and then add those on top with the walnuts for a textural & presentation thing, but it's another step that's all-together unnecessary.

Another go to is to warm up some chopped apple until they get all warm and just a touch mushy (it takes just about the same time as the oatmeal - butter & brown sugar help but aren't entirely necessary. If I know I'll have the cals to spare, I'll do it. Otherwise, eh.) and mix those into the oatmeal with some chopped walnuts.

I also keep some dried berries on hand and if I don't have any fruit, I'll sprinkle them on top of my oatmeal. Sometimes I add them to the oatmeal while it's cooking which seems to make the oatmeal taste altogether sweeter (though you may need to add a touch more water, not much! just a touch! as the dried berries will soak up some).

My favorite savory oatmeal is mushrooms & spinach. Cook the oatmeal with a pinch of nutmeg. Saute up some spinach & mushrooms while the oatmeal is cooking. Dump the oatmeal in the skillet with the mushrooms & spinach. If I need the energy boost, I'll add some diced canadian bacon.

Hmmm. Now I really want some oatmeal.

* If I'm going with sweet oatmeal, I almost always use cinnamon & nutmeg and occasionally also add ginger. If I'm going with savory oatmeal, I use nutmeg unless I'm adding bacon or canadian bacon. Occasionally, I'll add sage which gives the illusion of sausage without having sausage (sage is often used to season sausage).
  • 9thChakra
    9thChakra Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Because I need to monitor my iron I use a dallop of blackstrap molasses - http://www.wholesomesweeteners.com/brands/Wholesome_Sweeteners/Fair_Trade_Certified_Organic_Blackstrap_Molasses.html

I also LOVE cinnamon.

When I cook oatmeal if it calls for 1/2 c. oats and 1 c. water I typically fill the liquid measuring cup with no more than 1/4 c. organic 2% milk and then fill to 1 c. with water. I find it just adds a texture and taste that I prefer. I've not tried subbing out the milk but if I did I'd likely choose unsweeted hemp milk as I've used it in smoothies and prefer it's taste and nutrition to soy.

Occasionally I'll throw in slivered almonds or raisins or walnuts too. And if I'm feeling the need for sweet I choose real maple syrup.

Happy eating!
  • 9thChakra
    9thChakra Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah...sometimes I just cut up some apples and saute them in a touch of just water and cinnamon. This brings out more natural sweetness without adding sugar. Super yum!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I soak my oats overnight with 3-4 prunes. In the morning, cook in the microwave for 90 seconds, add 30g vanilla protein powder and stir well, cook another 90 seconds. Eat.

Delicious!!
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    2Tablespoons of nutella, ohhh oatmeal bliss
  • ingredsmith
    Options
    I eat oatmeal every single day! I ALWAYS whisk in egg whites for protein, use water and/or unsweetened almond milk for a liquid, and stevia as a sweetener. anywhere from 1-3 depending on the day. My own recipes-and for around 350 calories:

Zucchini Bread- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini, raisins, vanilla extract, cinnamon

Mexican Chocolate- unsweetened coco powder, dash of curry powder, dash of powdered ginger

Pumpkin Pie- 1/2cup pumpkin puree, powdered ginger, salt, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, raisins, and a tsp. of molasses

***also i love to make it plain and swirl in a flavorful peanut butter
    08161986 Posts: 2
    Options
    WALDEN FARMS CHOCOLATE SYRUP mmmmmm no caloriessss
  • kathyt08069
    kathyt08069 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I cook mine with milk in the microwave instead of water. I do not add sugar but will add fresh or dried fruit. I have really stopped adding sugar to cereal and tea and find I like the taste better.
  • professorhuggins
    professorhuggins Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    chopped medjool dates and toasted almonds with cinnamon. yum!
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    This morning I mixed in hot chocolate powder and some sliced banana.
    Although I have to say I'm more addicted to the oats-and-chai-latte-sachet combo :bigsmile:

Though man, some of the ideas already posted look amazing!
  • Lentil_Face
    Options
    I put 2 dates in it and no milk :] makes it extremely sweet and yummy.
  • traynorj82
    traynorj82 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    this morning I used 1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup chocolate almond milk, and 1/2 cup blueberries. It was delish.