Failing at maintenance

Options
2»

Replies

• tjthegreatone
    Options
    Also a good tool I use is keeping my hands busy. This prevents my getting up and getting munchy foods. When I am watching videos or t.v., I equate that with eating, which is a very bad habit I am trying to break. Believe it or not, crocheting, needlepoint or knitting if you are at all interested, keeps your hands and mind busy. You also end up with some awesome gifts to give.

If it's music, start a bit easier than piano, and try guitar lessons. You will learn to read music, at an easier pace and can move on to piano later!!

Congratulations on getting to your goal!! You rock!!

Just a bone to pick with the music bit-- guitar is definitely fun, lends itself to learning popular songs and singing. But I think it's better to start with piano (my instrument, so I'm prejudiced) since all the notes are laid out in front of you, it makes it easier to understand theoretical concepts, which makes learning other instruments much easier. ... Just saying. But sound advice, overall.

I really hope piano might be taught differently now than it was mumble years ago, or, maybe with a different approach for adults. Because yes, it's good to support theory etc, but starting with scales is not so fun, always... takes a while to learn a thing you could enjoy playing. (Especially if a nun is rapping your knuckles with a ruler, but hopefully all that's done)

:laugh: Oh dear...sorry to hear that happened to you! I never had any music lessons growing up and it's one of my big regrets.

I'm a bit biased because I love piano music (Chopin, Rachmaninoff; that sort of thing). Of course it'll be light years before I ever get to play anything that sounds that good. My sister plays both piano and guitar - I'll ask her opinion and start looking into lessons. Thanks for all the advice.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    It's tough, it took me a couple of weeks mentally to tell myself that it was ok to reintroduce certain food as I was paranoid I'd pile it back on. I set myself a range of 6lbs. I entered maintenance on christmas eve 2012 and have gone from 150lbs to 156lbs, but it yoyo's. As people have stated it's all about getting that balance right and finding what works for you.

I felt I was slipping so I upped the exercise a bit and boosh back under control again, keep a track of measurements and body fat %. It's great to know your weight but there's so much more to it than just what the scales say.

Remain positive and you'll get through this.
  • carolyn0613
    carolyn0613 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I find that my weight loss here *kind of* comes second to the monitoring and tracking that I do. i think that when I am at maintenance I will keep logging everything each day and log my exercise too - I will just adjust the MFP setting to maintenance calories. I feel that I need that discipline and daily goal and probably always will.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Also a good tool I use is keeping my hands busy. This prevents my getting up and getting munchy foods. When I am watching videos or t.v., I equate that with eating, which is a very bad habit I am trying to break. Believe it or not, crocheting, needlepoint or knitting if you are at all interested, keeps your hands and mind busy. You also end up with some awesome gifts to give.

If it's music, start a bit easier than piano, and try guitar lessons. You will learn to read music, at an easier pace and can move on to piano later!!

Congratulations on getting to your goal!! You rock!!

Just a bone to pick with the music bit-- guitar is definitely fun, lends itself to learning popular songs and singing. But I think it's better to start with piano (my instrument, so I'm prejudiced) since all the notes are laid out in front of you, it makes it easier to understand theoretical concepts, which makes learning other instruments much easier. ... Just saying. But sound advice, overall.

I really hope piano might be taught differently now than it was mumble years ago, or, maybe with a different approach for adults. Because yes, it's good to support theory etc, but starting with scales is not so fun, always... takes a while to learn a thing you could enjoy playing. (Especially if a nun is rapping your knuckles with a ruler, but hopefully all that's done)

:laugh: Oh dear...sorry to hear that happened to you! I never had any music lessons growing up and it's one of my big regrets.

I'm a bit biased because I love piano music (Chopin, Rachmaninoff; that sort of thing). Of course it'll be light years before I ever get to play anything that sounds that good. My sister plays both piano and guitar - I'll ask her opinion and start looking into lessons. Thanks for all the advice.

That's great! I think there are probably some Chopin pieces you could get to sooner rather than later, maybe Satie too? idk it's been awhile. Do it! :)
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    What if you found something to do in the evenings? Meditate? Get a hobby? Hang out with friends? This sounds emotional. What is your identity outside of weight loss? Does that make sense? Work on that.

This is great advise and something I was going to suggest. The hobby should be something that engages your mind and your hands (and not eating related). I, am a quilter and when I am in my room sewing I can't eat so this is a good thing; plus I am being productive and creative. I also do other hand work like embroidery.

Perhaps pull out some older pictures at your heaviest and look where you were, then look in the mirror and see where you are at today ... visuals always help to motivate as well.

I am sorry that you are going through a rough patch. I pray things will brighten up in your life and you find yourself back on track.
  • KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON
    KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Wow this is me too, thought I had written this. Thanks for posting because I decided last week to go ahead and post my weight gain (which was hard and sad to me) but had to be honest with myself and get that weight back off and try to maintain better. Not glad we are going through the same thing but makes you feel better when you see you are not alone.
  • bjkinkade
    bjkinkade Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I go through the same thing with the night time HABIT eating as I feel like I do not eat something is wrong. I do workout everyday for several hours and on hypothyroid meds and weight keeps going up and up almost everyday. I also am hooked o peanut butter but even not eating it for several days no difference and that is the only thing I can eat to fill me up!
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    Wow this is me too, thought I had written this. Thanks for posting because I decided last week to go ahead and post my weight gain (which was hard and sad to me) but had to be honest with myself and get that weight back off and try to maintain better. Not glad we are going through the same thing but makes you feel better when you see you are not alone.

You are all so right! I feel so much better knowing that I'm not the only one fighting this demon. Thank you all for the kind words of encouragement. I am still too frightened to weigh myself and see my inevitable weight gain, so massive kudos to you.

I will tell you all a little secret...I can't sew to save my life :laugh: I was hopeless at embroidery at school and and knitting is like sorcery...how can you make those needles do strange things?

Time to hop back on the wagon for good :smile: