Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Anyone fail on a bio hacking diet?

Options

Replies

• hamilton8560
    hamilton8560 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Um ok content. I had 5000 calories in cicis pizza and donuts the other day. Ive maintained weight for 2 and a half months now, . My maintenence started at 1900 a day and now its 3k on high fat days 5 days a week and 5k on my 2 carb nites, where im eating junk food with a high glycemic index. My calorie intake has had to keep going up for me to maintain weight. The "broscience" whats causing that around what we know. Obviously my insulin goes sky high twice a week at night. What jon keifer claims is that spiking your insulin causes anabolic hormones to spike for multiple days. Mentioning HGH, testesterone, and allowing glucagon and cortisol to target fat in the mornings by skipping breakfast. I know cortisol is known as a stress hormone and for creating belly fat and breaking down muscle. The idea is however without insulin present does cortisol still breakdown muscle? Glucagon itself cannot target stored amino acids only the ones in ur blood stream already which is why consuming protein pre workout is pointless. But anyways whenever u have low blood sugar whether fasted in the morning or 30 minutes into a workout, it mobilizes fatty acids and and stored glycogen. Going off that i also find it beneficial to extend my post workout meal for at least an hour. Protein also has the ability to idle in your small intestine and put itself on standby for whenever its needed giving you much closer to a 24 hour window for protein and that youre not limited on an amount per meal. I average 2 meals a day. If you find youre getting more sore than ussual, up the intake but theres no reason to ever consume more than 0.82 grams per pound of bodyweight, and less on days you dont workout. Ok lets see it "300 grams of protein 7 meals a day with sweet potatoes" guys
  • hamilton8560
    Options
    As far as appetite goes the fat is what is keeping me satiated. Calcium intake is included at a minimum standard over or under its inconsequential really. Obviously it helps regulate atp for contracting my muscles but because dairy products like all the cheese i eat are high in fats, its not taking into account the saturated fats which are what mainly cause appetite supression, unlike carbs. Rat poison would be a good example or also what do u get when u give your body a vaccine? You train your body to adapt to illness by introducing it. Carbohydrates can be looked at as a toxin but if you were to go full keto you can expect a lower metabolism and degrading of anabolic hormones, and eventually weaker immune system.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Can someone translate into English so I can understand what OP is talking about?

Sounds like carb cycling or some such.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Can someone translate into English so I can understand what OP is talking about?

Sounds like carb cycling or some such.

That's what I gather from this. Plus some reverse dieting to find his TDEE is higher than he thought. Which, according to OPs numbers of 5 days at 3k, 2 days at 5k, is an average of 3500-3600. Not an unusual number for a training male.

Not seeing anything groundbreaking here, other than OP discovering what level of fuel his body really needs and finding that carbs are awesome for bodybuilding.
  • hamilton8560
    Options
    Lol looked up gu packs. The problem for me and fructose is it goes primarily to the liver instead of the muscles. Other forms lf glucose like sugars, rice, potatos, will primarily get stored in your muscles as glycogen. Hoping to deplete the liver glycogen stores and promote glucogensis of stored fat as quickly as possible following a carb up. Williams the key is a nearly doubled metabolic rate. What do u think my energy levels are at burning calories at that rate? Something i cant express through this text is how amazing it feels.
  • hamilton8560
    Options
    Taking it back to the calcium comment thats only one micronutrient, try to understand how much is going into play every meal as far as timing, and hormetic response
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Lol looked up gu packs. The problem for me and fructose is it goes primarily to the liver instead of the muscles. Other forms lf glucose like sugars, rice, potatos, will primarily get stored in your muscles as glycogen. Hoping to deplete the liver glycogen stores and promote glucogensis of stored fat as quickly as possible following a carb up. Williams the key is a nearly doubled metabolic rate. What do u think my energy levels are at burning calories at that rate? Something i cant express through this text is how amazing it feels.

I'm confused. Gu packs go only to your liver but other sugars go to your muscles. How do you know this? Is it a feeling?
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    I really don't know what's going on in here because the rambling and lack of paragraphs make all of this way too hard to process, but:
    Everyone is right to say show me the science but that is a whole lot to type at once. Going off of girth measurements, and 7 site calipers and pictures of me being aggressively fat 4 months ago. Lets say if i get on stage in 2 months continuing to progressively smash more and more donuts can you guys agree to allow my personal success to be held above the standard of broscience?

Pics or it didn't happen
    Um ok content. I had 5000 calories in cicis pizza and donuts the other day. Ive maintained weight for 2 and a half months now, . My maintenence started at 1900 a day and now its 3k on high fat days 5 days a week and 5k on my 2 carb nites, where im eating junk food with a high glycemic index.

So you were aggressively fat 4 months ago, but you've been maintaining (and recomping, I guess) for 2 1/2 months, so you more or less went from aggressively fat to lean enough to recomp in 1.5 months. And you more than doubled your average maintenance calories on a recomp. I don't think what you think happened is what actually happened.

Also,
    Appetite surpression occurs under fatigue in general. Its not natural to immediately follow a workout with a couple cheeseburgers.

God, I wish that working out suppressed my appetite. I don't have the calories to spend on downing a couple of cheeseburgers right after squatting, but that would be the dream.
  • hamilton8560
    Options
    Using L-carnitine to get polyunsaturated omega 3s stored rather than burned sounds good to me. Are u using monohydrate? Yea hard to speculate how much water i gained on it since its intracellular, but its never noticeable. I avoid seated calf raises because they disengage the gastroc and for abs i still go heavy everyones genetic ratio for fast twitch to slow twitch can vary. Fast twitch hypertrophy vs slow twitch hypertrophy even at a lower capacity will still be more of a cosmetic improvement. Slow twitch fibers dont get unused at higher intensity like fast twitch doesnt at lower intensity as well.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    For me, I like burrito bowls from chipotle with double chicken. However, fructose is processed in the liver so it's good to take fish oil because you need the omega 3 fatty acids. We also know that creatine causes water retention in the muscle fibers so I do a five day workout split, squatting and hitting quads on Monday and then deadlifting and hitting hams on Thursday. And of course, L-carnitine facilitates the transport of fatty acids into the mitochondria. I try to eat Oreos on most days or else a big spoonful of peanut butter with a glass of milk. So you can see that I'm getting about 60-70 grams of fat per day. That's aside from the glucosamine/chondroitin I take daily for my shoulder and knee. Lastly, it's important to note that caffeine is an appetite suppressant which I get through my coffee. People also don't always realize that while the abs are primarily comprised of slow twitch fibers, there are fast twitch fibers which are highly beneficial to work with low rep/high intensity exercises to build size in the six pack. That doesn't take into account that you should hit calves both seated and standing or that insulin is an anabolic hormone.

Chipotle bowls, Oreos, peanut butter and coffee - now THAT'S my kind of bio-hacking!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am thinking you are significantly over buying into this hype but it's hard to follow. I will see if I can translate some of this.

First, there are many hormones that will induce lipogenesis (anabolism), but unfortunately, only insulin is discussed by those who follow low carb. It is true that insulin is anabolic. After you eat carbs, the body will break them down into glucose, which causes your body to release insulin and increase the enzyme Lipoprotein Lipase. This in turn, suppresses Hormone Sensitive Lipase (HSL) which inhibits the breakdown of fat. Also, protein is insulinogenic, which would provide a similar feedback.

When a person eats large amounts of fat, it increases the presence of the enzyme Acylation Stimulating Protein (ASP). Ironically, this suppresses HSL, thence preventing lipolysis.

When you either both carbs and fat, and a lesser extent protein and fiber, your body will produce the enzyme Glucose-dependent Insulinothropic Peptide (GIP), which will also suppress HSL.

Overall, your body will cycle between lipolysis and lipogenesis. Below is a great pictorial of that.

Lipolysis-Lipogenesis1.png

If you are fasting (using the chat above), you would have no increase in breakfast, but you would have two much larger increases for lunch and dinner. Overall, if calories are equal, fast loss is exactly the same thing.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    For me, I like burrito bowls from chipotle with double chicken. However, fructose is processed in the liver so it's good to take fish oil because you need the omega 3 fatty acids. We also know that creatine causes water retention in the muscle fibers so I do a five day workout split, squatting and hitting quads on Monday and then deadlifting and hitting hams on Thursday. And of course, L-carnitine facilitates the transport of fatty acids into the mitochondria. I try to eat Oreos on most days or else a big spoonful of peanut butter with a glass of milk. So you can see that I'm getting about 60-70 grams of fat per day. That's aside from the glucosamine/chondroitin I take daily for my shoulder and knee. Lastly, it's important to note that caffeine is an appetite suppressant which I get through my coffee. People also don't always realize that while the abs are primarily comprised of slow twitch fibers, there are fast twitch fibers which are highly beneficial to work with low rep/high intensity exercises to build size in the six pack. That doesn't take into account that you should hit calves both seated and standing or that insulin is an anabolic hormone.

Chipotle bowls, Oreos and peanut butter - now THAT'S my kind of bio-hacking!

It's a lot less complicated.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Why did you think your maintenance was 1900? As a guy in your 20s who works out, that makes no sense. My maintenance is like 2200, and I'm a 5'3/125 woman in my 40s.