Smoking Weed

Options

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    kevinf2380 wrote: »
    I've never done drugs and always tried to distance myself from people that do. I recently made a friend I like a lot who just admitted he smokes now and then. I get that marijuana is becoming more acceptable in our society. I've always felt is kind of a crutch for a lack happiness elsewhere. Would you stop being friends with someone over this?

Alcohol is a drug. Would you stop being friends with somebody because they enjoy a beer? Shouldn't people who drink get their happiness elsewhere, like from pumping iron?

I actually do stop being friends with people who think doing anything fun requires alcohol. I hate the alcohol comparison. It's not even close to the same thing. You get a surprise drug test at work after a night of drinking and you still have a job.

You come across as quite judge-y...That's unfortunate, as everyone is different, and that shouldn't be the cause of you ending a friendship. If you were my friend, and suddenly decided you didn't want to know me because I smoked a joint, I'd think I dodged a bullet. No offense!
  • kevinf2380
    kevinf2380 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    @JustMissTracy no offense taken. You're entitled to your opinion.
  • kevinf2380
    kevinf2380 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Bbg340340 wrote: »
    Is this person a nice kind caring person? Cool dude? Then whatever

That's basically where I'm at with it.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I've never done drugs and always tried to distance myself from people that do. I recently made a friend I like a lot who just admitted he smokes now and then. I get that marijuana is becoming more acceptable in our society. I've always felt is kind of a crutch for a lack happiness elsewhere. Would you stop being friends with someone over this?

Alcohol is a drug. Would you stop being friends with somebody because they enjoy a beer? Shouldn't people who drink get their happiness elsewhere, like from pumping iron?

I actually do stop being friends with people who think doing anything fun requires alcohol. I hate the alcohol comparison. It's not even close to the same thing. You get a surprise drug test at work after a night of drinking and you still have a job.

You come across as quite judge-y...That's unfortunate, as everyone is different, and that shouldn't be the cause of you ending a friendship. If you were my friend, and suddenly decided you didn't want to know me because I smoked a joint, I'd think I dodged a bullet. No offense!

^^^ I was thinking the same thing.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    As are you; I'm sure you're a fabulous guy, who obviously takes good care of his wife...As I said earlier on tho, times are changing.....it is 2016, not 1980...thinking has evolved.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    I used to smoke... before it was medicinal... Not long ago I had the opportunity to be friends with a fella that smoked for medicinal reasons... I just could not get used to the stench of his house. I used to smoke cigarettes too... now.. I don't mind the smell of second hand smoke... BUT the small of someone who just had a cigarette? is totally off putting...and for the record... I haven't quit either I am just putting together a streak between the last one and the next one... cigarettes is going on 8 years...pot... probably closer to 12... that being said... as soon as it is legal I'll be inline to get mine :P
  • Gently54321
    Gently54321 Posts: 513 Member
    Options

That depends on how much you had to drink and what you do for a living. I know a surgeon who became sick during a morning surgery after drinking too much wine the night before. She was suspended.
  • Gently54321
    Gently54321 Posts: 513 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I agree that alcohol and pot are not close to the same thing. For many, many people, alcohol is MUCH more harmful, even fatal. I mean, alcohol is ethanol. Grape flavored gasoline. How can anyone argue that alcohol is a neutral substance?

I do not smoke pot. But I will never stop defending others' right to do so.
  • TestNamePleaseIgnore
    TestNamePleaseIgnore Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I actually lost some friends over it in the past. My wife was pregnant at the time and we were over at their house for a party. I could smell people smoking it up stairs. I confronted them later about smoking where someone was pregnant. Instead of apologizing they just said no one is going to tell them what to do in their own home.

You wanted someone to apologize for doing something in their own house that they pay/paid for and they didn't? Those monsters.

• denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    He might not want to be friends with you now, based on the fact that you even question his worth because of his honest confession that he has a completely normal social habit.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Not for weed personally, but to each their own. I have family and friends that do it and, for me, I don't hang around when that is going on.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Personally, I'd rather avoid those who do because I despise the smell and the tee shirt fashions. Plus the impaired memories of smokers don't make for very riveting conversations.

110157-Carl-Sagan-quote-we-are-made-o-9Abf.jpeg

quote-15.jpg

f2QXQie.jpg

carl_sagan_quotes_19.jpg

CarlSaganQuoteForMarczyk.jpg

• ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options

Depends on the job!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Polar opposites, I think.