I keep failing.

Options
2»

Replies

• mababauta
    mababauta Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Everyone pretty much covered it, but find what works best for you. Try a few approaches until you find something that sticks. Weight loss is not a one size fits all thing. For me it was taking out all the temptations out of my kitchen until I could get into a good routine. If it's not there, I can't eat it.

If I get invited to eat out, I plan ahead of time what I'm going to eat. I google the restaurant and look at their menu. This way I know going in what I'm going to eat.

Also, I think you have to have a reason that you want to be healthy. Mine was looking at old pics and seeing how out of shape I got. I decided I had to set a good example for my kids. I had to practice what I preach.
  • halsteadg196
    halsteadg196 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Pre-logging helps ... if you really want a big, fat cheeseburger for dinner, log it in the morning and adjust what you eat the rest of the day. Then you can truly enjoy that cheeseburger and not feel deprived. Personally, I found that eating a big breakfast makes me hungry all day. I have learned that, for me, it is better to limit my calories before lunch.
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Nightmare_Queen88 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Start by slowly taking things out of your diet and adding things in its place. Like instead of soda have fruit infused water. Instead of a fast food burger make your own using healthier ingredients. As far as exercise try for 10 mins every other day and then gradually work your way up. Start with walking and then add in other things later on. Don't sweat it when you mess up, just promise yourself you'll do better tomorrow and keep that promise. And log all of your meals even when you cheat. Good luck to you on the rest of your journey. Don't give up. You've got this! :)
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what everyone else said, take it slow! For me, I needed to start with little things. Taking healthy snacks to work that I would like, instead of raiding the vending machine. Accepting that in order to break my soda habit, I needed to make a plan for myself. What we decided was that I could have ONE can of soda a day, if I really wanted it. I started out planning to walk at least 15 mins every day, no matter how I could squeeze it in, and oftentimes the walks ended up being longer because I was enjoying myself. And guess what? I still have big cheeseburgers on occasion, I just have a side of fruit or a salad instead of fries. Don't put things off limits for yourself, just portion it instead. If you HAVE to have something less healthy, try sharing half of it with someone else. Or ordering a smaller version. I've never been perfect on my plan to eat better; i've had days where I ate waaaaay more than I should have. But i've still lost 19.2lbs in the last 2 and a half months, just by living my life and making little changes wherever I could.
  • zombiemusicgirl
    zombiemusicgirl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Everyone has given a lot of great advice - but I have little to offer. I've gotten better than in the past, but I find myself doing the same things. I do great for a few weeks then bam! Right back to old habits. Maybe the changes are too drastic.
    Rather than being upset and feeling like giving up, keep,trying. I know that it's frustrating - for me too.

You're not alone, and it can be done.
  • katwills994
    katwills994 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    oolou wrote: »
    How do you succeed in staying on the path of eating healthy and exercising regularly?

One of the more motivational actions I've taken this month is to take some photos so I can begin to follow my progress visually. I'm one of those who will look in the mirror and think, 'not so bad', but when I see a photo of myself in my undies, standing face on and side on, I'm really horrified at how flabby I am. Photos help me see my fat objectively. And looking at them regularly, despite how depressing that can be, is keeping me on track because I don't want to look like that any more.

That is exactly how I feel! I have convinced myself to "think thin and you are thin" until I see a picture of myself. I will try taking pics to see if it helps.
  • katwills994
    katwills994 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great tips! I am committing to start logging everyday (without cheating) everything I eat and working out for at least 60 minutes this week.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!