Muscle Recovery (Soreness)

Options
2»

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Consider a post recovery supplement. They're chalk full of BCAAs which will help with muscle recovery and repair. Every time you work out, you're likely causing muscle tears which in turn cause the soreness. The recovery periods take longer, but with a healthy dose of BCAAs (10grams or less) a day, you should have substantially less soreness.

I've done a lot of research on supplements. Try reading up on nutrabio. They fully disclose all ingredients in their post recovery. I highly recommend and currently use the post recovery. I've used it for over 6 months and have had great results in my personal opinion.

BCAA's have been proven to be ineffective by many studies. The only real benefit of them is when training in a fasted state.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Consider a post recovery supplement. They're chalk full of BCAAs which will help with muscle recovery and repair. Every time you work out, you're likely causing muscle tears which in turn cause the soreness. The recovery periods take longer, but with a healthy dose of BCAAs (10grams or less) a day, you should have substantially less soreness.

I've done a lot of research on supplements. Try reading up on nutrabio. They fully disclose all ingredients in their post recovery. I highly recommend and currently use the post recovery. I've used it for over 6 months and have had great results in my personal opinion.

BCAA's have been proven to be ineffective by many studies. The only real benefit of them is when training in a fasted state.

Also, eggs are a lot cheaper.
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Whey powder has bcaa's. Two birds, one stone.
  • theajensvold
    theajensvold Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Off on a side tangent - if I am hoping to get the most out of my Doms should I be resorting to "powder" assistance? (Protein, caffeine, and other supplements). Almost everyone I know who weight trains take protein powder, but they are mostly male and have heavier workouts than I do. I don't know if I would burn the calories off and gain more muscle rather than fat. Any suggestions? What do you all take?
  • chrismwpcs
    chrismwpcs Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I use whey shakes before my workout only because I train at 0400 in the morning and it is convenient and it is a quick and easy fuel source. I am in a constant state of soreness as I train every day for between 7 and 8 days in a row and have one day off. As I am training muscle groups I get the required downtime before I train a specific muscle group again so I tend to go for longer without taking a day off. Once a month I take 2 days off due to how my shift work falls. If you are eating well and eating whole foods and your age is on your side you will recover fairly fast. I know it takes me longer to recover now I am 50 but I have structured my routine to be able to do recovery adequately. If you are training hard you should convert to muscle and keep fat to a minimum. I have been on a slow bulk for 9 months and have a BF of around 10% and am getting closer to my 90kg goal (currently at 82). Experiment with your food intake and modify as need. Your body is an interesting beast and when you get to understand it you can manipulate it quite well. Good luck on your fitness journey. :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Off on a side tangent - if I am hoping to get the most out of my Doms should I be resorting to "powder" assistance? (Protein, caffeine, and other supplements). Almost everyone I know who weight trains take protein powder, but they are mostly male and have heavier workouts than I do. I don't know if I would burn the calories off and gain more muscle rather than fat. Any suggestions? What do you all take?

Protein powder is just like any other supplement, it just fills in a gap when you lack protein. It wont improve muscle to fat ratio. If anything training and genetics will have a much bigger influence. You dont need to take a protein shake unless you struggle to get protein or want something convenient.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Also, DOMS is delay onset muscle soreness. Its a reaction based on training stimulus. It doesnt have anything to do with muscle growth and some people dont even get it (i dont in my upper body). So i am not sure what you mean get the most out of your doms.
  • theajensvold
    theajensvold Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Oh okay didn't know that. :/