No Meat for Week

Options

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    okay, I am thinking of trying something for a week, no meat. Do anyone have any pointers? I like trying different things to see how my body will react.Thanks in advance. o:)

Make a plan.
    Think about meatless foods you enjoy already. Eat those.
    Try to eat lots of protein foods.
    Pasta, eggs, oatmeal, lentils, beans, pancakes, potatoes, fresh vegetables and fruits, hummus, nuts, peas, edamame, peanut butter, cheeses, yogurt... it is only a week. Make a big pot of bean based or lentil based soup.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Soy = cancer?

"I did not know that."
    -Walter
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If you get in all you need, and you've already been eating all you need, or if you are deficient, and still will be deficient, your body won't react any differently. You may miss meat though. Or maybe you won't.

I suggest getting in a wide variety and combos of grains and pulses, oils, nuts and seeds, fruit and vegetables, and dairy, fish, seafood, eggs if you are going to eat that.

What plant does fish come from?

To be fair, there are plenty of people who don't consider fish a "meat," even though it is the flesh of an animal. When you go to weddings or catered events, people often ask if you want meat or fish. My "vegetarian" wife gets her protein from dairy, legumes, eggs and fish; by most people's definitions, that's not vegetarian. However, we don't truly sweat it, because most "vegetarians" we meet indulge in the occasional (four times a month) cheeseburger. We could say my wife doesn't eat red meat, but that wouldn't include poultry; we could say she's an ovapescatarian, but we don't truly enjoy being that kind of obnoxious; we could debate this stuff all day long, but at the end of the day, are you helping the OP or picking fights over semantics?

OP, what is your goal here? To find foods that taste or feel meaty, so you won't miss the meat, or to find alternate ways of getting protein without meat?

1. If you want to replace the taste / texture: mushrooms, rice, beans, olives, lentils, things seasoned with salty / savory things like soy sauce or worcestershire. We'll sometimes marinate tofu in equal parts soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil (maybe some sesame seeds and red pepper flakes for good measure).

2. If you want alternate protein: dairy (especially cottage cheese and Greek yogurt, IMO), rice, quinoa, beans, chia seeds, lentils, TONS OF EGGS AND SEAFOOD (unless this violates your definition of meat), nuts

It's not picking fights, it's correcting an mistake. I constantly get asked if I eat fish when I say I'm vegetarian because so many people go around saying they are 'vegetarian' when they aren't. The correct term is pescartian and for people that say they are 'vegetarian' but eat a burger four times a month or still eat chicken sometimes, they aren't vegetarian at all.

Did the OP state she wanted to go vegetarian? She said she wanted to give up "meat". There are plenty of people who don't consider fish a "meat" and usually only refer to meat as mammals.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I'm going to second the don't eat a bunch of meatless substitute sentiment. Tons of those Boca burgers and all the meatless stuff... I don't know... too fake? Too much salt? Too processed? Without opening another big can of worms, I'd agree with the ol' eat what you already eat, but without meat, feelings.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I unintentionally give up meat for a week sometimes. Especially if I just don't feel like making it. The real hardship for me would be to go without bread for a week. I doubt I could do it.

I also agree with those saying eat was you normally eat just without meat.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Grains, beans, vegetables, fruit.

I would not advise going to Whole Foods and buying everything with a "VEGAN" label on it. Start with the basics and then if you want you can sprinkle some of those special vegan products in.

Pay extra attention to getting enough protein and healthy fats though. (a block of tofu and an avocado is enough to do the trick)

A block of tofu is pretty rubbish though so that's when you could splurge for the fancy baked tofu or some honey BBQ tempeh bacon strips lol.

• Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    okay, I am thinking of trying something for a week, no meat. Do anyone have any pointers? I like trying different things to see how my body will react.Thanks in advance. o:)

Everyone is doing this right now, I've had 4-5 people in my office ask me about it. Another person swearing by it... a newly turned vegetarian ... I wonder what is the catalyst for all of this? for you? why the choice to go meat free?
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    To be fair, there are plenty of people who don't consider fish a "meat," even though it is the flesh of an animal. When you go to weddings or catered events, people often ask if you want meat or fish. My "vegetarian" wife gets her protein from dairy, legumes, eggs and fish; by most people's definitions, that's not vegetarian. However, we don't truly sweat it, because most "vegetarians" we meet indulge in the occasional (four times a month) cheeseburger. We could say my wife doesn't eat red meat, but that wouldn't include poultry; we could say she's an ovapescatarian, but we don't truly enjoy being that kind of obnoxious; we could debate this stuff all day long, but at the end of the day, are you helping the OP or picking fights over semantics?

Telling someone it's ok to eat meat and be a vegetarian is not ok. That does not help the OP because that's like saying, go meatless for a week but it's still ok to eat meat that week. Any person that eats cheeseburgers once a week and says they are a vegetarian is at best ignorant or maybe from Texas [joke].

Why doesn't your wife say Pescatarian? That would be most accurate. No need for the "ova" part since vegetarians eat dairy. It's not obnoxious either, bringing it up when know one asks about it would be obnoxious.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    why?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    well that sounds horrible, unless youre doing it for ethical or moral reasons.

i like meat.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Again, the op never used the word vegetarian.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    If you get in all you need, and you've already been eating all you need, or if you are deficient, and still will be deficient, your body won't react any differently. You may miss meat though. Or maybe you won't.

I suggest getting in a wide variety and combos of grains and pulses, oils, nuts and seeds, fruit and vegetables, and dairy, fish, seafood, eggs if you are going to eat that.

OP, what is your goal here? To find foods that taste or feel meaty, so you won't miss the meat, or to find alternate ways of getting protein without meat?

1. If you want to replace the taste / texture: mushrooms, rice, beans, olives, lentils, things seasoned with salty / savory things like soy sauce or worcestershire. We'll sometimes marinate tofu in equal parts soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil (maybe some sesame seeds and red pepper flakes for good measure).

2. If you want alternate protein: dairy (especially cottage cheese and Greek yogurt, IMO), rice, quinoa, beans, chia seeds, lentils, TONS OF EGGS AND SEAFOOD (unless this violates your definition of meat), nuts

It's not picking fights, it's correcting an mistake. I constantly get asked if I eat fish when I say I'm vegetarian because so many people go around saying they are 'vegetarian' when they aren't. The correct term is pescartian and for people that say they are 'vegetarian' but eat a burger four times a month or still eat chicken sometimes, they aren't vegetarian at all.

Or they are mostly or usually vegetarian. But yeah, I agree with you.

I don't know any vegetarians who eat meat multiple times a month, though -- I used to know one who ate meat on rare occasional, like Thanksgiving, she called it her "holiday exception" but then she phased that out entirely. I also don't know anyone who finds the term pescetarian obnoxious, however. I do always feel like I have to clarify that I am including fish too when I say meat (which is slightly awkward).

(I suspect the reason some claim (incorrectly) that eating fish is "vegetarian" is because it counts as "meatless" for the Catholic Church and given history that probably defined for some (not just Catholics) what "meatless" is. But in Latin and many Latin-derived languages "meatless" or without meat uses the term "carne" (or the like) which I believe is distinct from the word used for fish. In English that's not the case (meat includes fish), or at least I never understand it as such unless the person is referring to certain religious practices, of course.)

Anyway, I'm assuming OP means to not eat fish/shellfish for the week, but if not, OP, those are great sources of protein!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Once, someone back in High School mentioned to me that they were meatless, but fish is okay because fish is a 'salad'. I am still scratching my head 21 years later.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Once, someone back in High School mentioned to me that they were meatless, but fish is okay because fish is a 'salad'. I am still scratching my head 21 years later.

I've had two separate people insist that bacon bits on a salad don't count as meat, so people are weird. (I know there are fake bacon bits, but these weren't supposed to be, either time.)
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I go without meat throughout the week sometime. I eat lots of fish.

Not sure if fish is considered meat to you though.
    Same here - except I have chicken and beef along with fish. It's actually quite easy!
    It's all about discipline...
    :D

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    OP never said she wanted to be vegetarian. She said she was not eating meat. For religions that celebrate Lent, they eat fish when they are required to not eat meat. I know plenty of people who consider "meat" and "fish" different things. So whether or not she was eating fish is a perfectly logical question.

OP, just make sure you get enough protein, I think you've already gotten plenty of advice on alternative sources.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I've had two separate people insist that bacon bits on a salad don't count as meat, so people are weird. (I know there are fake bacon bits, but these weren't supposed to be, either time.)

Fish not being meat has religious origins. Some people consider any kind of bird to not be meat either.
    Some only consider mammal flesh as meat.

It's weird, but, you know.

• lemurcat12
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Lizarking wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Fish not being meat has religious origins.

Didn't I say this in my own post?

However, for fun: https://www.firstthings.com/blogs/firstthoughts/2013/02/the-ten-most-wonderful-and-strange-foods-for-lent
    Some people consider any kind of bird to not be meat either.

This is just weird.
    Some only consider mammal flesh as meat.

I don't get this, but even so, bacon is from a pig, and pigs are mammals.
    It's weird, but, you know.

Yeah, I know.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Many people do not consider fish to be meat. It has its origin in religion...they can't eat meat, but they can eat fish. Personally, I only consider mammals to be meat...then there's poultry, then there's fish.
  • ktilton70130
    ktilton70130 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

I meant "deficient in any nutrient(s)" - you shouldn't really be able to notice a healthy calorie deficit.

You won't lose more - or less - because of what you eat. A larger calorie deficit will make you lose faster, but you can't sustain a too large calorie deficit for very long, and there is a limit to how much fat you can lose per day. The best approach is something you can stick to, consistently. A healthy weight loss rate is up to 1% of your body weight per week. So the amount you lose per week, will be less and less as you get lighter. I don't know what you started out with, but 40 pounds in that short timeframe is a great achievement.[/quote]

Ok I understand now. I misunderstood makes sense