Free advice for the younger crowd

Options
The older you get the harder it is. You've probably heard that, but it's REALLY harder to lose weight once you get to be 50, especially if you're a woman past menopause. When I was in my 20's and 30's, even my 40's losing weight wasn't that hard as long as I kept to my calorie count and worked out a couple times a week. Now even when I do that I don't lose. So..I have to work out more often and cut the calories back even further. My advice is get the weight off now before you are middle aged because it's a b*tch.

Replies

• AriesGal329
    AriesGal329 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    And middle age comes faster than you can imagine. The years slip by, and before you can turn around, you're wondering where the time went.

Amen to that!
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    thank you for the advice. I am 44 and trying to get this weight off for the last time and keep it off. I tend to find, the older I get the harder it is to loose it.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I haven't found age to be a problem.

I lost a LOT of weight when I was 25. That was incredibly hard. I lost about half that much a year ago (when I was 52) and found it to be much easier. I think the differences are that my appetite is less now and that I have more time to focus on myself than I did then, and in general my life is less stressful now. Experience and increased patience also helped.
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I am 30...and wish I would of done this younger
  • AriesGal329
    AriesGal329 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I'm 49, peri-menopausal, and have lost 80 lbs since April 2015 and hit goal.

Unless 50 is some sort of magic number, CICO works at any age.

Congrats on your great success! A point-I did not say it doesn't work...I said it's harder. I was encouraging younger people to get the weight off now and try to keep it off.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    I can't eat as much volume like I used to, but it's still CICO. As mentioned, many people as they age become less active too. I've kept up activity, so I've not had to drastically reduce. If I didn't want to reduce, then I'd have to exercise more to help offset it.
    Age shouldn't be much of a deterrence though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Good thing I'm 23 then I guess...Lol
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    The older you get the harder it is. You've probably heard that, but it's REALLY harder to lose weight once you get to be 50, especially if you're a woman past menopause. When I was in my 20's and 30's, even my 40's losing weight wasn't that hard as long as I kept to my calorie count and worked out a couple times a week. Now even when I do that I don't lose. So..I have to work out more often and cut the calories back even further. My advice is get the weight off now before you are middle aged because it's a b*tch.

What do you feel stopped you from maintaining your weight in your 20's, 30's and 40's? What are you doing differently this time besides working out more and cutting more? Is the amount you have to lose about the same as in the past? Do you feel that you will be more likely to sustain your weight loss this time?

I'm 42 and have been losing and regaining since my mid 20's. It has actually seemed much easier to lose now that I am older. I think I am more balance, patient and have healthier goals.
    When I was younger I didn't know how many calories I needed. I wasn't counting calories or doing sustainable things at all. I exercised to punish myself. I lost faster maybe because I did more extreme things but couldn't sustain them. I was impatient and frustrated a lot.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    There is a slowdown and I agree with your advice. I wish I had kept up my fitness through grad school and the first 8 years of my career. That said, we all can still lose weight and get very fit in our 40s, 50s, and beyond.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is harder, but mainly because of the tendency to become more sedentary and lose muscle, as @Sued0nim stated. I started my program post-menopausal in February of this year. I found that the biggest thing that was holding me back was my lack of strength. I was pretty sedentary and constantly injuring myself when I tried to start exercising. I did PT-type exercises for about 5 weeks and THEN I was able to work the program as I should. I lost exactly one pound per week like clockwork. So I would say to the whippersnappers out there, don't stop moving when you get older!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    cosmonew wrote: »
    thank you for the advice. I am 44 and trying to get this weight off for the last time and keep it off. I tend to find, the older I get the harder it is to loose it.

I'm 47, and have now lost just under/over 80 lbs (I fluctuate a pound or two every couple days)....it's hard work, and it takes patience and commitment, but it's very doable....I find the hardest part is just making my brain convince my *kitten* to move some days! That part is harder now than it was in my 20's and 30's!!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Pawsforme wrote: »
    I haven't found age to be a problem.

I lost a LOT of weight when I was 25. That was incredibly hard. I lost about half that much a year ago (when I was 52) and found it to be much easier. I think the differences are that my appetite is less now and that I have more time to focus on myself than I did then, and in general my life is less stressful now. Experience and increased patience also helped.

This, exactly...kids are all moved out, us mama's got more time to focus on ourselves, finally!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I agree that it is harder, but mainly because of the tendency to become more sedentary and lose muscle, as @Sued0nim stated. I started my program post-menopausal in February of this year. I found that the biggest thing that was holding me back was my lack of strength. I was pretty sedentary and constantly injuring myself when I tried to start exercising. I did PT-type exercises for about 5 weeks and THEN I was able to work the program as I should. I lost exactly one pound per week like clockwork. So I would say to the whippersnappers out there, don't stop moving when you get older!

Thanks for having an open diary. I see you're doing some IF, and you're lower carb. Do you think either of those help?
    I ask, because I am lower (not low) carb, and as menopause hit, I incorporated IF to help me maintain. (I've been in maintenance for 14 years, and hanging on to it by a thread with menopause lol). Does the lower carb, IF approach assist you, do you think? I think it does for me.

And YES! I love this comment! "Don't stop moving". I think the key is finding a way to move that you LIKE. And when/if you get bored, find another one. if you're lifting and get bored, find another weight bearing exercise.