Free advice for the younger crowd

Options
2»

Replies

• CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is harder, but mainly because of the tendency to become more sedentary and lose muscle, as @Sued0nim stated. I started my program post-menopausal in February of this year. I found that the biggest thing that was holding me back was my lack of strength. I was pretty sedentary and constantly injuring myself when I tried to start exercising. I did PT-type exercises for about 5 weeks and THEN I was able to work the program as I should. I lost exactly one pound per week like clockwork. So I would say to the whippersnappers out there, don't stop moving when you get older!

Thanks for having an open diary. I see you're doing some IF, and you're lower carb. Do you think either of those help?
    I ask, because I am lower (not low) carb, and as menopause hit, I incorporated IF to help me maintain. (I've been in maintenance for 14 years, and hanging on to it by a thread with menopause lol). Does the lower carb, IF approach assist you, do you think? I think it does for me.

And YES! I love this comment! "Don't stop moving". I think the key is finding a way to move that you LIKE. And when/if you get bored, find another one. if you're lifting and get bored, find another weight bearing exercise.

Congratulations on 14 years of successful maintenance! I think that both lower carb and IF have helped me hugely.

Lowering carbs helps me to fast without being hungry or weak and shaky. I can easily exercise in a fasted state (whereas I used to get weak and shaky if I even did it a few hours after breakfast). Lower carb (with adequate protein, fiber, and fat) helps me to get through my whole day without cravings.

Fasting helps me to maintain a deficit super easy. I am not fasting this morning, but on a typical day, I can eat two very nice ~700 calorie meals (as long as I get a little exercise in). For about a month, I was barely even logging anything, just fasting and watching my portions, and found that I could maintain my weight just by doing that (even with the occasional pig out). I could go on about fasting. How good and alert I feel... but one huge thing is that I believe I have recently experienced one of the touted health benefits. My blood pressure fell into the normal range, where it has never been for all of my adult life. It happened a couple of weeks after I started IF (and was just maintaining weight). I can't wait until I get my next lipid test to see if and by how much it has improved.

Regarding the open diary, why do so many people hide it, anyway? I have used the "pig out" entry in the database more than once :lol:
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'm "only" 34 but I honestly find it so much easier now. I've accepted the basic science, I've accepted it's a lifetime thing. And i like myself a lot more than when I was 20 which is hugely helpful I think to long term success.

It's also easier because we have tools and technology that take all of the effort out of it. Trackers so we know how active we are, MFP so we can calculate calories without books, or packaging, or calculators. Online calculators to give us an idea of TDEE. Forums to help us when we hit a bump, find support, discover what we never knew about fitness.

I think the only thing that makes it harder is true if you're 20 or 80 and that's the psychology.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,007 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I'm 49, peri-menopausal, and have lost 80 lbs since April 2015 and hit goal.

Unless 50 is some sort of magic number, CICO works at any age.

I agree. I'm 48 and lost 60 and recently moved to maintenance. It seemed easier for me this time because I didn't restrict anything but calories.
  • kgirlhart
    Options
    I also think that having my kids out of the house has made it easier. I can focus more on what I need and actually take time for my activities.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is harder, but mainly because of the tendency to become more sedentary and lose muscle, as @Sued0nim stated. I started my program post-menopausal in February of this year. I found that the biggest thing that was holding me back was my lack of strength. I was pretty sedentary and constantly injuring myself when I tried to start exercising. I did PT-type exercises for about 5 weeks and THEN I was able to work the program as I should. I lost exactly one pound per week like clockwork. So I would say to the whippersnappers out there, don't stop moving when you get older!

Thanks for having an open diary. I see you're doing some IF, and you're lower carb. Do you think either of those help?
    I ask, because I am lower (not low) carb, and as menopause hit, I incorporated IF to help me maintain. (I've been in maintenance for 14 years, and hanging on to it by a thread with menopause lol). Does the lower carb, IF approach assist you, do you think? I think it does for me.

And YES! I love this comment! "Don't stop moving". I think the key is finding a way to move that you LIKE. And when/if you get bored, find another one. if you're lifting and get bored, find another weight bearing exercise.

Congratulations on 14 years of successful maintenance! I think that both lower carb and IF have helped me hugely.

Lowering carbs helps me to fast without being hungry or weak and shaky. I can easily exercise in a fasted state (whereas I used to get weak and shaky if I even did it a few hours after breakfast). Lower carb (with adequate protein, fiber, and fat) helps me to get through my whole day without cravings.

Fasting helps me to maintain a deficit super easy. I am not fasting this morning, but on a typical day, I can eat two very nice ~700 calorie meals (as long as I get a little exercise in). For about a month, I was barely even logging anything, just fasting and watching my portions, and found that I could maintain my weight just by doing that (even with the occasional pig out). I could go on about fasting. How good and alert I feel... but one huge thing is that I believe I have recently experienced one of the touted health benefits. My blood pressure fell into the normal range, where it has never been for all of my adult life. It happened a couple of weeks after I started IF (and was just maintaining weight). I can't wait until I get my next lipid test to see if and by how much it has improved.

Regarding the open diary, why do so many people hide it, anyway? I have used the "pig out" entry in the database more than once :lol:

I keep mine closed. Because I don't really use it. I got a lot of "what do you know, you don't even log" comments. :smile:
    Thanks for the reply. I agree on both fronts!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,064 Member
    Options
    A bit about my story ...

I was slender and fit and very active most of my life. Then in my mid-40s my activity level dropped off for various reasons and I gained weight. For a little while, I figured that because I was in perimenopause, that was it. I would be "dumpy" for the rest of my life.

But I really missed doing the long distance cycling events I used to do.

And I didn't want to be old and dumpy.

So mid-Feb 2015 (47 going on 48) I joined MFP and put in a solid effort ... lost the weight ... dropped to what I used to be back in 2004 (and also my high school weight) by about mid-Nov 2015.

At the same time, increased my activity level and started cycling longer and longer distances. So far this year (my 48-49 year), I have cycled two 200K randonnees, a 300K randonnee, and a 400K randonnee. It feels SO good to be back again. :)

So it probably helped to be fit and active when I was a young adult and to maintain that up till my early 40s. But all is not lost, we can regain that again! :) The only difference between then and now that I'm noticing is that recovery after the events takes a little bit longer.

• Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and I haven't found the losing part to be any more difficult, but the end result is not what it was when I was younger. I mean, I only lost 30 pounds and I have loose skin?!? Not cool, body! Not cool!

Also, I spend way more time trying to avoid people's kids than actively seeking them out. I don't like to touch strangers. I don't like strangers to touch me. But I also know Americans have a slightly larger circle of "personal space" than a lot of other cultures, so I try not to follow my first instincts when someone gets too close.
  • BananaBite
    BananaBite Posts: 135 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm only 18 and after a few years of feeling terrible about myself, I realized what changes needed to be made. I actually started learning about calorie counting, water weight, and cardio/strength training around 14. Although I learned early on, I never made it a conscious day to day task until recently. Hopefully learning early will give me a leg up.

I even told my mom about how I wanted to lose weight, even though she doesn't push anything. My main reason besides self confidence is one day when I do have children and when I do turn 40 and the weight comes from nowhere, I can learn to maintain my weight from a healthy lifestyle.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Get the weight off and improve your fitness when you are young, so you can enjoy the rest of your life and help prevent all the diseases, conditions, aches, and pain that obesity can bring. That is the reason to do it, not just because it might be harder to lose weight as you get older.

Yup. Good post.
  • kgirlhart
    Options
    I'm only 18 and after a few years of feeling terrible about myself, I realized what changes needed to be made. I actually started learning about calorie counting, water weight, and cardio/strength training around 14. Although I learned early on, I never made it a conscious day to day task until recently. Hopefully learning early will give me a leg up.

I even told my mom about how I wanted to lose weight, even though she doesn't push anything. My main reason besides self confidence is one day when I do have children and when I do turn 40 and the weight comes from nowhere, I can learn to maintain my weight from a healthy lifestyle.

It is good to learn healthy habits now. But the weight doesn't come from nowhere when you hit 40. It comes from not being as active as when you were on your 20's and eating the same, or from just eating more. If you stay active and don't overeat you will not automatically gain weight as you get older.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Get the weight off and improve your fitness when you are young, so you can enjoy the rest of your life and help prevent all the diseases, conditions, aches, and pain that obesity can bring. That is the reason to do it, not just because it might be harder to lose weight as you get older.

You are so right. My only regret is that I wasted over 20+ years figuring this out. Once I committed to losing weight this go around, it was extremely easy. I finally figured out at 62, my days of liking my body and my body liking me are numbered. I'm working on maintenance now, which scares the hell out me, worried I'll blow it, but determined to never be that fat lady again. I accept that complacency won't be acceptable any more. I have all the successful people on MFP to thank, there are many inspirational stories here.
  • Marycycles
    Marycycles Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am 49 and 5 years ago I lost 105lbs in 8 months, but gained 60lbs back. Now with menopause it IS harder to lose. I've had to cut calories more this time. And even with the extra 60lbs I have kept my activity level the same. So it is purely hormone imbalance.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I can't eat as much volume like I used to, but it's still CICO. As mentioned, many people as they age become less active too. I've kept up activity, so I've not had to drastically reduce. If I didn't want to reduce, then I'd have to exercise more to help offset it.
    Age shouldn't be much of a deterrence though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

You are right that age shouldn't be a deterrent. There are things that make it difficult for older people like myself to lose weight that were preventable, like sedentariness and loss of LBM. (And, by the way, thank you for putting this nicely and not being accusatory.) And yes CICO rules.

However, we accumulate damage over the years both physical and psychological that make getting exercise and adhering to a calorie limit more difficult. Old injuries, arthritis, depression, insomnia...I could go on. It is entirely possible to lose weight in spite of all these things, but the level of difficulty for many goes up as we age. Which I believe was the point the OP was making.