no...
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Depends on what your goals are.

They're a solid compound movement, but unless you're a powerlifter they're not essential. I don't subscribe to the "bro" ethic that you have to squat no matter what.

Would agree when talking about squats as exercise. However, IMO the mobility/flexibility to squat (even bodyweight) pain free is life changing.

This is a good point. There are benefits to pushing out of our comfort zones. Squats have been a struggle for me from the beginning, and I'm currently on my 3rd complete reset where I've stripped the bar down to 135 and started all over again. The mobility and strength gains have definitely been worth the efforts.

why did you re-set ...not happy with form, trying to get more depth, all the above?

The first time was something I can't entirely explain, but my form went to hell. I went from bellow parallel squats to struggling to get parallel, and I couldn't figure out how to fix it. So I started over.

The second time was due to an injury, and rather than trying to start back at a heavier weight I just started completely over. Not sure this qualifies as a reset but I counted it above.

This time, I realized that I had stopped comfortably hitting parallel and decided to start over to see if I can ever get my squats set up good enough to compete. I'm not sure I will. I have kids and a job but it would be fun to try. So I've switched to a high bar squat and am relearning, because it's easier for me to get deeper with them. My deadlifts have suddenly started jumping as I've locked those in the last few months at the same time squats were screwed up. It's weird how none of this seems to be linear. Maybe I'll get it together when I grow up . . . lol
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    leg press is better

no...

It is. You can put on every plate in the gym so it's a much better workout and indicator of strength. If you're going to squat over leg press, at least make sure you use the Smith machine for better form.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    leg press is better

For what? They're both tools. One is much harder and engages the full posterior chain, and has excellent cross over to certain sports that require power. The other is a pure leg exercise that is great for hypertrophy.
  • LazSommer
    Options
    leg press is better

For what? They're both tools. One is much harder and engages the full posterior chain, and has excellent cross over to certain sports that require power. The other is a pure leg exercise that is great for hypertrophy.

You can lift more with a leg press and it has rails so obviously you can get stronger in a safer fashion.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Depends on what your goals are.

They're a solid compound movement, but unless you're a powerlifter they're not essential. I don't subscribe to the "bro" ethic that you have to squat no matter what.

Would agree when talking about squats as exercise. However, IMO the mobility/flexibility to squat (even bodyweight) pain free is life changing.

This is a good point. There are benefits to pushing out of our comfort zones. Squats have been a struggle for me from the beginning, and I'm currently on my 3rd complete reset where I've stripped the bar down to 135 and started all over again. The mobility and strength gains have definitely been worth the efforts.

why did you re-set ...not happy with form, trying to get more depth, all the above?

The first time was something I can't entirely explain, but my form went to hell. I went from bellow parallel squats to struggling to get parallel, and I couldn't figure out how to fix it. So I started over.

The second time was due to an injury, and rather than trying to start back at a heavier weight I just started completely over. Not sure this qualifies as a reset but I counted it above.

This time, I realized that I had stopped comfortably hitting parallel and decided to start over to see if I can ever get my squats set up good enough to compete. I'm not sure I will. I have kids and a job but it would be fun to try. So I've switched to a high bar squat and am relearning, because it's easier for me to get deeper with them. My deadlifts have suddenly started jumping as I've locked those in the last few months at the same time squats were screwed up. It's weird how none of this seems to be linear. Maybe I'll get it together when I grow up . . . lol

interesting ...I did a re-set a few years back due to form ...but have not done one since...may be something to consider in the coming months...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    leg press is better

no...

It is. You can put on every plate in the gym so it's a much better workout and indicator of strength. If you're going to squat over leg press, at least make sure you use the Smith machine for better form.

This is probably why power lifters are always boasting about how much they can leg press....

The squat is a full body compound movement...the leg press just works the legs...they both have their place, but I can guarantee you that someone doing 300 Lbs on a leg press won't come close to that on a squat...but someone who can squat 300 Lbs will be able to press much more than that on a leg press.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Did Breeze forget to log into his other account?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    leg press is better

no...

yea...this is not serious...
  • LazSommer
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    leg press is better

no...

This is probably why power lifters are always boasting about how much they can leg press....

The squat is a full body compound movement...the leg press just works the legs...they both have their place, but I can guarantee you that someone doing 300 Lbs on a leg press won't come close to that on a squat...but someone who can squat 300 Lbs will be able to press much more than that on a leg press.

No powerlifters usually squat which is why they are generally weaker overall than the guys on the leg press doing 8 plates.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    leg press is better

no...

No powerlifters usually squat which is why they are generally weaker overall than the guys on the leg press doing 8 plates.

I can do over a 1000 pounds on a plate loaded leg press and my squat is crap right now. As I said, it's great for hypertrophy but you have got to be kidding with that bit above.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Love Squats here too! I find them essential to my workout and have helped me in my cycling and running!
  • LazSommer
    Options
    leg press is better

no...

I can do over a 1000 pounds on a plate loaded leg press and my squat is crap right now. As I said, it's great for hypertrophy but you have got to be kidding with that bit above.

So you can clearly see that the leg press is better since you can move so much weight
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    leg press is better

no...

So you can clearly see that the leg press is better since you can move so much weight

By that logic why don't I just load up a push cart and push weight around? It must be making me stronger because I'm moving more weight, right?

Okay, seriously, where's the camera?
  • LazSommer
    Options
    leg press is better

no...

By that logic why don't I just load up a push cart and push weight around? It must be making me stronger because I'm moving more weight, right?

A push cart would be a great full body exercise.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    leg press is better

no...

A push cart would be a great full body exercise.

I'm convinced
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    leg press is better

cupcakes are better , too. yummmm and they make my butt big and strong with little to no effort.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    leg press is better

no...

The guy doing the press isn't going to be able to squat what the guy squatting, squats...the guy squatting will generally easily be able to press more than the guy pressing...the guy squatting is going to be overall stronger and more powerful.