cwolfman13 wrote: »
    LazSommer wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    leg press is better

no...

It is. You can put on every plate in the gym so it's a much better workout and indicator of strength. If you're going to squat over leg press, at least make sure you use the Smith machine for better form.

This is probably why power lifters are always boasting about how much they can leg press....

The squat is a full body compound movement...the leg press just works the legs...they both have their place, but I can guarantee you that someone doing 300 Lbs on a leg press won't come close to that on a squat...but someone who can squat 300 Lbs will be able to press much more than that on a leg press.

No powerlifters usually squat which is why they are generally weaker overall than the guys on the leg press doing 8 plates.

The guy doing the press isn't going to be able to squat what the guy squatting, squats...the guy squatting will generally easily be able to press more than the guy pressing...the guy squatting is going to be overall stronger and more powerful.

How can he press more than the guy pressing if he only squats? If he's moving less weight, is he truly stronger?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited August 2016
    Necessity? No.
    Ideal? Absolutely.

I've never seen small legs on anyone squatting 400lbs.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited August 2016
    leg press is better

no...

It is. You can put on every plate in the gym so it's a much better workout and indicator of strength. If you're going to squat over leg press, at least make sure you use the Smith machine for better form.

This is probably why power lifters are always boasting about how much they can leg press....

The squat is a full body compound movement...the leg press just works the legs...they both have their place, but I can guarantee you that someone doing 300 Lbs on a leg press won't come close to that on a squat...but someone who can squat 300 Lbs will be able to press much more than that on a leg press.

No powerlifters usually squat which is why they are generally weaker overall than the guys on the leg press doing 8 plates.

The guy doing the press isn't going to be able to squat what the guy squatting, squats...the guy squatting will generally easily be able to press more than the guy pressing...the guy squatting is going to be overall stronger and more powerful.

How can he press more than the guy pressing if he only squats? If he's moving less weight, is he truly stronger?

what? squats are a different exercise than leg presses. Squats are FULL BODY , leg presses are not. the amt of weight you move isn't always a measurement of strength, especially when you are comparing two different exercises
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    leg press is better

no...

what? squats are a different exercise than leg presses. Squats are FULL BODY , leg presses are not.

If you need your full body to move less weight, how can you be stronger than the guy on the leg press?
  • SonyaCele
    edited August 2016
    i can push a 10,000 pound car down the street, does that make me stronger than the guy that can bench press 350 pounds?
  • LazSommer
    i can push a 10,000 pound car down the street, does that make me stronger than the guy that can bench press 350 pounds?

I don't know, how much does he do on the leg press?
  • SonyaCele

probably not 10,000 lbs
  • LazSommer

probably not 10,000 lbs

Can you leg press as much as he can?
  • SonyaCele
    lazsommer, just keep leg pressing you'll get stronger than everyone in the world, good luck to you.
  • LazSommer
    lazsommer, just keep leg pressing you'll get stronger than everyone in the world, good luck to you.

I already am stronger than most people because I do crossfit. They don't have a leg press at my box (a special crossfit gym if you didn't know that), so I have a dual membership at Planet Fitness to use their leg press machine.
  • jcsgirl86
    jcsgirl86 Posts: 53 Member
    For me they are not overrated. I believe the barbell squats I do as part of my workouts have contributed to my being able to run better, specifically hills. I am a 48 year old, 125 lb, grandma who regularly squats 105 lb. and sometimes maxes out at 125 lb that loves to run! That's not earth shattering but I'm proud of it!
  • rufus_187
    rufus_187 Posts: 15 Member
    leg press is better

no...

No. Just no. Squats in the smith machine? I'm almost afraid to even lean on the smith machine out of fear it'll try to force my ROM in an unnatural manner.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member

I already am stronger than most people because I do crossfit. They don't have a leg press at my box (a special crossfit gym if you didn't know that), so I have a dual membership at Planet Fitness to use their leg press machine.

I bet they have a squat rack at your box though. Planet Fitness is not a gym son it doesn't have things like squat racks that intimidate people. They just have nice purple machines with a pin and weight stack to do leg presses
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    LazSommer is just trolling you guys. Geezus
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Somebody thinks @BreezeDoveal is a role model.

I'd say some people overrate squats. They are not the best exercise for everyone in every situation. However, their benefits are so widely applicable to various fitness and sport goals, odds are they are a good choice if you are capable of doing them correctly which is why they are a default foundation exercise.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    edited August 2016
    stealthq wrote: »
    Somebody thinks @BreezeDoveal is a role model.

I'd say some people overrate squats. They are not the best exercise for everyone in every situation. However, their benefits are so widely applicable to various fitness and sport goals, odds are they are a good choice if you are capable of doing them correctly which is why they are a default foundation exercise.

Squats should only be done while bulking. THat's why high frequency squatting is the bulkarian method.

Nothing better than traditional bulkarian home cooking to complement squats.

y8rs8pzftt9x.jpg
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »

I've never seen small legs on anyone moving an enormous amount of weight on any leg exercise. :+1:
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »

I've never seen small legs on anyone moving an enormous amount of weight on any leg exercise. :+1:

Weird, I have. Quite often actually.