are squats overrated?

Options
Don't have any specific criticisms of squats, just didn't find them as 'life-changing' as others seem to, and found fast short-distance running and cycling just as good for building up legs.

Replies

• 1shedev
    1shedev Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Not at all. Squats work your legs, glutes, and core muscles.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Depends on what your goals are.

They're a solid compound movement, but unless you're a powerlifter they're not essential. I don't subscribe to the "bro" ethic that you have to squat no matter what.

Yep, goal dependent.
    Since my goals are total lifting numbers nothing improved my other lifts better than adding heavy squats.

• pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Squats are an all around great exercise and you do not have to be into powerlifting for them to be extremely beneficial. Regardless of your goals I do not see how they would not help.
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I don't know if i'd call them "life changing" but they're a pretty good lift for everyone to learn how to do properly.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    No. They're a solid compound movement that are very effective at building strength, and they're one of the bigger tools in the toolbox. To ignore their benefits seems silly, but sure your goals may not involve them either.
  • Wombat468
    Wombat468 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I know that when I started lifting, I was only using the machines, eg leg press, for about a month. When I first did squats (with only a 10kg bar), I could barely walk for a week afterwards. Nothing else I've done uses those muscles in the same way.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    For mass and power. Definitely not. They help with my deadlifts for increasing core stability, work for carrying heavy objects, and bench press for my leg drive.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Self starting cars and heated seats are life changing.

Finding the space to love yourself is life changing.

Squats are a religion. But they aren't life changing.

Why would I want a car that starts by itself ?

That sounds wrong
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

They're a solid compound movement, but unless you're a powerlifter they're not essential. I don't subscribe to the "bro" ethic that you have to squat no matter what.

Would agree when talking about squats as exercise. However, IMO the mobility/flexibility to squat (even bodyweight) pain free is life changing.

This is a good point. There are benefits to pushing out of our comfort zones. Squats have been a struggle for me from the beginning, and I'm currently on my 3rd complete reset where I've stripped the bar down to 135 and started all over again. The mobility and strength gains have definitely been worth the efforts.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of squatting in High School. Now, I do squats, just not barbell squats. My back and knees are beat up from Military service. Not worth it to me personally. If they help you accomplish your goals, then they are good for you.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Would agree when talking about squats as exercise. However, IMO the mobility/flexibility to squat (even bodyweight) pain free is life changing.

This is a good point. There are benefits to pushing out of our comfort zones. Squats have been a struggle for me from the beginning, and I'm currently on my 3rd complete reset where I've stripped the bar down to 135 and started all over again. The mobility and strength gains have definitely been worth the efforts.

I did squats years ago, went to a different gym, not squat rack, just used the leg press, was okay for my needs. I have an office job, long driving commute started having lower back issues. Ran across the Weller 3rd World Squat on T-Nation. Tried to do it and failed miserably. Kept at it and now can do a pretty decent job with it. Lower back pain much better. I can't do squats with a barbell due to shoulder issues I have to work around, but do deep, heavy goblet squats.

Original Weller 3rd World Squat article:
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/third-world-squat

Newer article from stack.com referencing the above
    http://www.stack.com/a/third-world-squat

It was interesting, I had worked with trying to get to the 3rd World Squat for a year or so and was pretty decent at it. Myself and another guy who was also in his 50's (or maybe early 60's) could do it, but most of the kids on the junior high track team we were helping coach couldn't do it. The other guy was actually a recently retired engineer who spend a bunch of time in 3rd World countries as a project manager on gen set installations who sat like that in meetings at the job site.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Their value depends on your goals. And the value of a specific variation can vary greatly from person to person. I keep back squats in my routine because I have a certain strength goal (poundage) I'd like to meet someday. But for bodybuilding purposes (my main goal w/lifting), I get a lot more out of a combo of other exercises (hack squats, hip thrusts, glute bridges, RDLs, and leg curls.)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Squats are a love-hate relationship. When they are going good, almost nothing better

Agreed. Squats are the most difficult lift for me. I'm 65 and currently weigh 172. Got seriously hurt doing them at 195, 3 years ago at about the same body weight.

Only recently started doing them again but then tweaked my back at 180. Took a few weeks off and fortunately the problem wasn't as serious as b4. Am back up to 190 and still progressing w/o pain.

Dread doing squats because of the prior injuries but I consider it a challenge. Takes all of my focus, concentration and effort to do 3x5 per Starting Strength at my max weight but feel great satisfaction as I progress.

Current goal is to reach 210 which would put me in the Advanced class for men over 60 at 181 lbs per Killustrated's Strength Standards.

Can deadlift 250 which already puts me in the Advanced class for men over 60 at 181 lbs but deadlifts are easier for me. Got to 275 before I got injured 3 years ago and, if I don't get injured again, I should be able to make it to 315 which would put me in the Elite class for men my age/wt.

Not sure if I can get my squats to 270 to achieve the same level of accomplishment, but I would be happy to reach 255 at about 1.5x body weight which wouldn't be so bad for an old man. ;)

PS: I realize these weights are barely qualifying for younger men in the open class. It's all relative.

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    squats were lift changing for me, since learning to lift properly with my legs and a tight core cured my lower back problems, sciatica, etc and saved me from continually blowing it out.