Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    TravisGM92 wrote: »
    Other than that, it is scientifically known that eating sugar promotes the urge to eat even MORE sugar or carbs. So, I have to ask, what do you eat for breakfast? If it has sugar then that could be your problem. Try eating more complex carbs with a good amount of protein (oatmeal and eggs, scrambled eggs, omelets, low carb milk and high protein cereal, etc.)

Sugar promotes the urge to eat more sugar? This is 'scientifically known?' Please provide us your sources for this claim.

Also sounds like the OP already eats a good, healthy breakfast.

Sugar is not the devil. ;)

Sugar is the devil. We don't need sugar and it's been known to be just as addictive as cocaine: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2007/08/23/is-sugar-more-addictive-than-cocaine.aspx, also: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacobsullum/2013/10/16/research-shows-cocaine-and-heroin-are-less-addictive-than-oreos/#2275a5184b7b.

As for the claim that eating sugar promotes the urge to eat more sugar; https://authoritynutrition.com/how-sugar-makes-you-addicted/.

I can provide more citations if needed.

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but "Dr." Mercola is a complete quack. You stated that sugar being evil is "scientifically known." Neither of those two 'sources' have anything to do with legitimate peer-reviewed science.

So first off, I didn't claim the fact that "sugar is the devil" as scientifically know. I claimed that it's scientifically known that eating sugar or simple carbs promotes the urge to eat more sugar or carbs.

Secondly, did you even look at the links? This is the original study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1931610/. Click on that, read it. Then come back and tell me I don't have scientific backing.

Ah, yes, "The Rat Study." It's been submitted on this site as sugar-is-the-devil 'evidence' many times. Bottom line? Rats aren't people. And saying that a study done on rats automatically makes it similarly applicable to humans is a huge stretch.

So using modern science is a bad idea? Tell me why avoiding sugar like it's the devil is a bad thing. I'm using modern studies to apply to my life to see which gives me the results I want. Avoiding sugar allows you to lose weight. Show me a study that says the opposite.

I don't avoid sugar. Heck I'm baking brownies right now. I've lost 44lbs. Without avoiding sugar. Of any kind.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Not avoiding sugar also allows you to lose weight, if you are still within your calorie range.

Bingo. :)
  • TravisGM92
    TravisGM92 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Not avoiding sugar also allows you to lose weight, if you are still within your calorie range.

Bingo. :)

I'm not sure if I'm not being clear or just being attacked cause I mentioned sugar.

Yes, you can still lose weight if you eat sugar and stay within your caloric range. I didn't suggest the opposite.

Again, for the third time, I suggested that eating sugar can cause you to be more hungry, thus making you want to eat more.

"I don't avoid sugar. Heck I'm baking brownies right now. I've lost 44lbs. Without avoiding sugar. Of any kind."
    Cool. Good for you! I didn't say avoid sugar in order to lose weight. I said avoiding sugar allows you to lose weight. That doesn't mean "avoiding sugar is the only way to lose weight"
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    So far we've got MercoLOLa and Lustig quoted. If we can just bring in Taubes and Dr. Oz we'll have a regular woo-fest going on! :D

To skirt some of the derp and answer the OP's question, meal timing is irrelevant. I eat the vast majority of my calories at dinner, always have, and it hasn't interfered one bit with my weight loss. A consistent calorie deficit is all you need to lose weight.

Oh, and sugar isn't the devil.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Other than that, it is scientifically known that eating sugar promotes the urge to eat even MORE sugar or carbs. So, I have to ask, what do you eat for breakfast? If it has sugar then that could be your problem. Try eating more complex carbs with a good amount of protein (oatmeal and eggs, scrambled eggs, omelets, low carb milk and high protein cereal, etc.)

Sugar promotes the urge to eat more sugar? This is 'scientifically known?' Please provide us your sources for this claim.

Also sounds like the OP already eats a good, healthy breakfast.

Sugar is not the devil. ;)

Sugar is the devil. We don't need sugar and it's been known to be just as addictive as cocaine: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2007/08/23/is-sugar-more-addictive-than-cocaine.aspx, also: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacobsullum/2013/10/16/research-shows-cocaine-and-heroin-are-less-addictive-than-oreos/#2275a5184b7b.

As for the claim that eating sugar promotes the urge to eat more sugar; https://authoritynutrition.com/how-sugar-makes-you-addicted/.

I can provide more citations if needed.

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but "Dr." Mercola is a complete quack. You stated that sugar being evil is "scientifically known." Neither of those two 'sources' have anything to do with legitimate peer-reviewed science.

So first off, I didn't claim the fact that "sugar is the devil" as scientifically know. I claimed that it's scientifically known that eating sugar or simple carbs promotes the urge to eat more sugar or carbs.

Secondly, did you even look at the links? This is the original study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1931610/. Click on that, read it. Then come back and tell me I don't have scientific backing.

Ah, yes, "The Rat Study." It's been submitted on this site as sugar-is-the-devil 'evidence' many times. Bottom line? Rats aren't people. And saying that a study done on rats automatically makes it similarly applicable to humans is a huge stretch.

So using modern science is a bad idea? Tell me why avoiding sugar like it's the devil is a bad thing. I'm using modern studies to apply to my life to see which gives me the results I want. Avoiding sugar allows you to lose weight. Show me a study that says the opposite.

I eat sugary foods everyday and lose weight. I also skip breakfast and lunch and eat a large dinner with dessert. I have done this going on 2 years and lost 50 lbs and am happy and active.

In short, staying in your calories allows you to lose weight, not avoiding sugar.
  • TravisGM92
    Options
    To the OP:

I realize that nowhere in your initial post do you mention sugar being an issue for you. Apologies to you for my participation in going off topic, but the sugar misinformation brought into this discussion needed to be addressed.

Unless, of course, your big dinner at night consists of a large tub of ice cream, an entire chocolate cake and a box of ding-dongs. ;)

To reiterate: Meal timing is based on personal preference, and provided you don't exceed the amount of calories each day that is needed to attain (or maintain) your weight goals, timing has no effect one way or the other. It's about how many calories you consume in a day and not when you consume them. :)

I'll leave this discussion cause obviously I'm being attacked... not sure why.

But I do have to say, this is what I said in my initial post before I was guided off topic, with citations.
  • TravisGM92
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    To the OP:

I realize that nowhere in your initial post do you mention sugar being an issue for you. Apologies to you for my participation in going off topic, but the sugar misinformation brought into this discussion needed to be addressed.

Unless, of course, your big dinner at night consists of a large tub of ice cream, an entire chocolate cake and a box of ding-dongs. ;)

To reiterate: Meal timing is based on personal preference, and provided you don't exceed the amount of calories each day that is needed to attain (or maintain) your weight goals, timing has no effect one way or the other. It's about how many calories you consume in a day and not when you consume them. :)

But I do have to say, this is what I said in my initial post before I was guided off topic, with citations.

You're not being personally attacked. The junk science you're relying upon is just being disputed in order to avoid confusing the OP and anybody else who may read the thread. "Disagreeing" does not equal "attacking".

How is it junk science? I provided citations to a legitimate, peer reviewed article. How is this junk science?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    To the OP:

Eta: my bad, you started off great then you guided the convo off topic yourself by talking about sugar out of the blue.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    To the OP:

You're not being personally attacked. The junk science you're relying upon is just being disputed in order to avoid confusing the OP and anybody else who may read the thread. "Disagreeing" does not equal "attacking".

How is it junk science? I provided citations to a legitimate, peer reviewed article. How is this junk science?

You were on the right track with Lyle McDonald, who is somebody I find trustworthy and his advice solidly based upon science. Then you linked to Mercola and Authority Nutrition, both of which are crackpot junk science sites which are about as reliable as Dr. Oz. If you follow Lyle, I'm surprised that the name "Mercola" can even pass your lips without a contemptuous sneer.
  • bshrom
    bshrom Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It does not matter at all what time of the day you eat the calories. I work 3rd shift so most of my food is eaten between the hours of 8pm- 3:30am and I have no trouble losing weight.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,019 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I have lost 60 pounds and moved into maintenance by eating about half of my calories for lunch and breakfast and the other half for dinner and a snack after dinner. I also eat back my fitbit adjustment so really I have more than half my calories in the evening. As long as you stay at your calorie goal you will be fine. I also did not give up sugar and I start my day with coffee with real sugar and usually some fruit with my eggs and yogurt (also sweet). If you don't have medical issues with sugar then it is not a problem to have sugar in the morning or any other time of day that you want it.

ETA I think that saving calories to eat a nice dinner with your family is an awesome idea. For me not being able to eat in those situations would eventually make me give up and go back to my old eating habits.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I have lost 60 pounds and moved into maintenance by eating about half of my calories for lunch and breakfast and the other half for dinner and a snack after dinner. I also eat back my fitbit adjustment so really I have more than half my calories in the evening. As long as you stay at your calorie goal you will be fine. I also did not give up sugar and I start my day with coffee with real sugar and usually some fruit with my eggs and yogurt (also sweet). If you don't have medical issues with sugar then it is not a problem to have sugar in the morning or any other time of day that you want it.

ETA I think that saving calories to eat a nice dinner with your family is an awesome idea. For me not being able to eat in those situations would eventually make me give up and go back to my old eating habits.

Twinsies!!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

From that study, this quote, "Though there are many biological commonalities between sweetened diets and drugs of abuse, the addictive potential of the former relative to the latter is currently unknown."
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I also tend to eat most of my calories later in the day. I'll have coffee first thing in the morning, but generally skip breakfast and have a light, early lunch. I don't really get hungry until dinnertime, so this works well for me. I also leave room for some snacks after dinner while watching TV. Gummy bears or some heavenly chocolate are my favourites. :)

Edited to add: And I lost 75 lbs and reached my goal weight in under a year eating this way. ;)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Other than that, it is scientifically known that eating sugar promotes the urge to eat even MORE sugar or carbs. So, I have to ask, what do you eat for breakfast? If it has sugar then that could be your problem.

OP said nothing to suggest that she has a problem.

She asked if it's okay that her lifestyle fits best with a small breakfast, larger lunch, large dinner pattern. Many people prefer this pattern for similar reasons, such as that they lack time in the morning and enjoy having a larger meal at dinner, which tends to be a more social/family meal. (I tend to have a more balanced pattern or eat the most at lunch, because of my own lifestyle and that I tend to eat dinner late.)

As you yourself said, it's fine, won't matter.

So no problem. No need to speculate on what she eats for breakfast or tell her she must change it.

(For the record, I used to eat almost no sugar at breakfast and lately have been eating lots, since I've been obsessed with summer fruits and just craving cold fruit and veg based breakfasts when the weather is hot. It has made zero difference on how much I eat the rest of the day.)