Should I do LCHF?

Options
13»

Replies

• BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    http://www.businessinsider.com/lebron-diet-sample-meals-2014-9

But registered dietitians say the diet is too extreme, arguing that eliminating entire food groups to lose weight is both unnecessary and dangerous.

"I would discourage any client, professional athlete or not, from following this low-carb diet," Torey Jones Armul, a registered dietitian, nutritionist, and spokeswoman for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, told Business Insider. "To lose weight, increase energy levels, and improve performance, your best bet is loading up on fruits and vegetables, choosing whole grains and lean protein and making exercise a habit throughout the week."

"Cutting out entire food groups is extreme and puts people at risk for nutritional deficiencies, not to mention nearly impossible to sustain in the long-term," she said.

Other dietitians we spoke to agreed: there's no reason to voluntarily stop eating entire food groups.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I have about 30 lbs I want to lose. I'm motivated to stay on track but I'm the kind of person that loves to snack and I love fruit.

I keep hearing about how successful LCHF diets are. How do you give up fruit? I can give up bread and starchy veggies with no issue but the lack of fruit seems impossible to me.

What do you find works for you? Cutting calories and eating a balance of everything or cutting down on carbs?

Feel free to add me as a friend. I can use motivated positive peeps.

I love this diet, but I don't think I am truly doing it the ketogenic way. I think for keto to work (is there a diff between keto and LCHF?), carbs (including fruit and veggies) should only be 10% of your macro intake. I'm more like 20-25%, but I truly don't give a poopy about eating vegetables. They almost don't count in my book. So the carbs I try to reduce are from starches like sweet potatoes and corn; I do zero grains, not even quinoa (which still feels wrong). I love eating lots of bacon, chicken, steak, pork, fish, and lots of oil in my cooking. I do minimize fruit, but don't freak out if I have an apple, a banana, AND grapes all in one day.

The reason why this works for me is probably different than for others. For me, it's like a challenge to design the diet and stick to it. I got tired of just eating at a deficit, so I guess what I'm saying is that I need a gimmick for this to stick with me. Plus, homemade mayo is the bomb.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I LOVE keto eating. Only two slip ups in 23 days? That's a winner in my book! I am an emotional eater and carbs really trigger binges. It's helped lower my cholesterol too!