Glee's Cory Monteith, found dead in an Hotel Room

Options

Replies

• Twister19
    Twister19 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm merely speaking on behalf of his skill in regards to what I've seen of it.

That's what I don't understand. What are you responding to? If there are hundreds of tweets saying "RIP Cory Monteith, your death has suddenly made me realize that you were an awesome dancer and your voice totally outshone the rest of the cast and that's the only reason I miss you," I haven't seen any.

No one is praising him for being flawless. In fact, most people seem to be praising him for the fact that he was so open and honest about his flaws and his struggles. I just don't see why you felt the need to give your critique of his performance skills.
    Can I get a slow clap over here?:flowerforyou:
  • I_Will_Be_The_Swan
    Options
    I'm merely speaking on behalf of his skill in regards to what I've seen of it.

That's what I don't understand. What are you responding to? If there are hundreds of tweets saying "RIP Cory Monteith, your death has suddenly made me realize that you were an awesome dancer and your voice totally outshone the rest of the cast and that's the only reason I miss you," I haven't seen any.

No one is praising him for being flawless. In fact, most people seem to be praising him for the fact that he was so open and honest about his flaws and his struggles. I just don't see why you felt the need to give your critique of his performance skills.

I had, at the time of this post's origin, been bombarded with weepy praise for his every aspect for hours. I oughtn't have let it bleed into this post, as real life and MFP seldom cross over, but I felt the impulsive need, at the time, to make my opinion known. The ensuing battle over it was never something I had forseen, and I don't intend to offend or upset anyone.

If at all possible, I'd like that to be understood.
  • I_Will_Be_The_Swan
    Options
    @ I will be the Swan: then Darling, if you are a fellow performer you must learn a really important lesson (specially if you are into Theater) we are a community, we support each other, we strive to be positive - we focus on the good side, and we don't talk **** (at least publicly) of one another. Being bitter won't get you anywhere. At no moment I tried to put him as a hero, saint or super talented guy. Yes he abused prescription drugs and alcohol, fame isn't easy, some are blessed to handle it the right way, some other can, and some just don't get their time in the spotlight - who knows why. Working on the insdustry isn't all about your talent or training, it is important yes and it should be the core of your performance, but as an actor so many other things come to game, your type, the way you (or your agent) brand / sell you, your connections, the friends you make, your work's Ethics and luck,

Maybe there is many actors who are just really lucky and book an amazing job that brings them to the spotlight, great for them, those of us who don't get to be lucky well, we keep working really hard, improving what we can to make it happen, and if it doesn't happen then we can be proud we fought for it and lived doing what we love.

I apologize if my comments came off as bitter. In all honesty, I'm not. I'm glad that his dream, however briefly, was achieved. He was obviously what the show wanted for the character he played.

I never said that you did. I stated my opinion on his skill, not him as a person, and I stated my opinion on the treatment that everyone recieves upon death.

As I said, just as a piece of advice, I hope you don't talk like that with any members of the industry (which in NYC/LA almost everybody is at least aspiring), it wouldn't be good for your own career.

Thank you for your advice. I appreciate your concern and assure you, after the conflagration on this website, I won't be sharing any of my opinions with a soul for a long, long time.
  • I_Will_Be_The_Swan
    Options
    Wow some of these responses are actually disgusting. No one is say he was perfect, no one is glorifying him, and why are you attacking his talent? I actually liked his voice, I thought it was unique and raw in its own way. And obviously he had some talent if he was able to have as much success as he did. Clearly he had issues, but everyone does and addiction is one of the hardest things to stop. So what if he passed from an overdose? Would you be so snide if he had passed from a car crash or a heart attack?

Let him rest and have some respect.

My apologies if my comments came off as snide, but honestly, yes. I would not have brought his history into the conversation, but the rest of it would still have been intact. My apologies if that displeases you, but my opinion is mine to share, and I intend no disrespect. I have a right to voice my opinion just as you have a right to voice yours. I simply ask that you respect mine, as I have made an effort to respect yours - whether or not it comes through has yet to be seen.

However politely you word your responses does not change the fact that you're basically dragging his name through the mud. When you say things like "nothing I've said is cruel or untrue" right after you trashed his talent just makes you sound like a fool.

I apologize. I should have phrased that more clearly - "Nothing I've said is intended to be cruel or, at least from my point of view, perceived to be untrue." I would also like to make clear that, while I am not a fool, I appreciate your choice of a less degrading word in favour of standard internet fare. I hope you have a nice day.
  • RodSuarez
    RodSuarez Posts: 6,309 Member
    Options
    @ I will be the Swan: then Darling, if you are a fellow performer you must learn a really important lesson (specially if you are into Theater) we are a community, we support each other, we strive to be positive - we focus on the good side, and we don't talk **** (at least publicly) of one another. Being bitter won't get you anywhere. At no moment I tried to put him as a hero, saint or super talented guy. Yes he abused prescription drugs and alcohol, fame isn't easy, some are blessed to handle it the right way, some other can, and some just don't get their time in the spotlight - who knows why. Working on the insdustry isn't all about your talent or training, it is important yes and it should be the core of your performance, but as an actor so many other things come to game, your type, the way you (or your agent) brand / sell you, your connections, the friends you make, your work's Ethics and luck,

Maybe there is many actors who are just really lucky and book an amazing job that brings them to the spotlight, great for them, those of us who don't get to be lucky well, we keep working really hard, improving what we can to make it happen, and if it doesn't happen then we can be proud we fought for it and lived doing what we love.

I apologize if my comments came off as bitter. In all honesty, I'm not. I'm glad that his dream, however briefly, was achieved. He was obviously what the show wanted for the character he played.

I never said that you did. I stated my opinion on his skill, not him as a person, and I stated my opinion on the treatment that everyone recieves upon death.

As I said, just as a piece of advice, I hope you don't talk like that with any members of the industry (which in NYC/LA almost everybody is at least aspiring), it wouldn't be good for your own career.

Thank you for your advice. I appreciate your concern and assure you, after the conflagration on this website, I won't be sharing any of my opinions with a soul for a long, long time.
    My mama told me: if you don't have anything positive to say... DON'T SAY ANYTHING.

So it might be better.
  • I_Will_Be_The_Swan
    Options

My mama told me: if you don't have anything positive to say... DON'T SAY ANYTHING.

So it might be better.

Thank you for your opinion and advice. My mother's most frequent advice to me was freckled with swearing and derogatory language; I appreciate your message.

Henceforth, when a potentially provocative thread arrives, I'll simply ignore it and keep my mouth shut.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I will be the swan.... one can only hope that from this you've learned that regardless of your opinion of people, there is a time and place to express them.

RIP to Cory Monteith, and hopefully the positive aspects of his life live on.
  • I_Will_Be_The_Swan
    Options
    I will be the swan.... one can only hope that from this you've learned that regardless of your opinion of people, there is a time and place to express them.

I'd like it to be made clear that it was not my opinion of Corey Monteith that was expressed in this thread, but my opinion of his skill as a performer. He may well have been a truly delightful person, and as I have never met him or heard him in any cpntext outside his character on the show, I haven't made any remarks about him as a human being. I don't follow the actors of the show; I was informed of this event via many friends, family members, classmates, and acquaintances who adore him coming to me to vent.

I hope he can be remembered as his whole self, as he truly was, and as respectfully as is humanly possible.
  • trudijoy
    Options

I'd like it to be made clear that it was not my opinion of Corey Monteith that was expressed in this thread, but my opinion of his skill as a performer. He may well have been a truly delightful person, and as I have never met him or heard him in any cpntext outside his character on the show, I haven't made any remarks about him as a human being. I don't follow the actors of the show; I was informed of this event via many friends, family members, classmates, and acquaintances who adore him coming to me to vent.

I hope he can be remembered as his whole self, as he truly was, and as respectfully as is humanly possible.

doesn't explain why you felt it necessary to come in like you did. Maybe it would be appropriate to reflect on that. You seem to think the way you write in here is okay. For me, I try to imagine if someone who knew him read what I wrote. Famous, not famous, whatever.
  • RodSuarez
    RodSuarez Posts: 6,309 Member
    Options
    Henceforth, when a potentially provocative thread arrives, I'll simply ignore it and keep my mouth shut.
    The topic had nothing of "potentially provocative" the one who was provocating was you. Sorry deary but it is 4am in NYC, it was about midnight when the news about Cory's death came out, and you've spend several hours defending your "honest and humble, not bitter at all opinion" if you didn't like him at all as you said just skip the topic and leave it alone.

For me Cory's dead was a shock, I never liked his character (I always rooted for Jesse, or Brody) but he seemed to be an honest humble guy. He was young and worked hard to get whatever he got, he got it however he could. He was succesful and still got depression, why? who knows, it just teaches us fame is hard, and it comes with a price, everybody pays it differently. I haven't been able to go to sleep (it is 1am here) because my mind is busy thinking about so many things which this inspired.

How well would I handle a fame like that? would I want to be "that famous"? My goals are in Theater, life isn't as glamorous, but I used to have Tony dreams and a Broadway obsession - but then I realized the Tony and Broadway do not matter as long as I am doing what I love, performing and working on myself and my craft to become the best that I can be. We should take the positive lessons out of everything, and RESPECT others.

And please stop asking people to respect your disrespectful opinion, opinions are like penises for men, we all have one but we should be shoving it on everybodies throat. And by the way your first post was just like the "Westboro Church" and those aren't welcome in Showbiz.
  • I_Will_Be_The_Swan
    Options

doesn't explain why you felt it necessary to come in like you did. Maybe it would be appropriate to reflect on that. You seem to think the way you write in here is okay. For me, I try to imagine if someone who knew him read what I wrote. Famous, not famous, whatever.

You're right; a health and fitness website was not an appropriate forum to discuss the skills and merits of performers, or their passing, or their legacy.

Your plan is a valid one, and in future attempts at online self-expression, I'll keep it in the forefront of my mind.
  • beckizzle
    beckizzle Posts: 118 Member
    Options

hollywood ruins people

especially the good ones
  • trudijoy
    Options

You're right; a health and fitness website was not an appropriate forum to discuss the skills and merits of performers, or their passing, or their legacy.

Your plan is a valid one, and in future attempts at online self-expression, I'll keep it in the forefront of my mind.

given the title of this particular forum it was entirely appropriate to post it here. It's also possible to disagree with posts without coming off as you did.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Edited to delete my comment, because I don't believe this conversation needs to be continued any longer.
    I hope we can all return to the original point of the thread.
  • I_Will_Be_The_Swan
    Options

given the title of this particular forum it was entirely appropriate to post it here. It's also possible to disagree with posts without coming off as you did.

Thank you for your opinion and partial validation of my approach. I didn't intend to offend anyone. I should have sat back and let myself calm down before posting, but I have the unfortunate personality trait of a deficiency in patience or levelheadedness. I shouldn't have let my frustration with people I know in real life intercede with my behaviour online.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    This is really sad news, fame can be hard to handle for some.
  • trudijoy
    Options

Thank you for your opinion and partial validation of my approach. I didn't intend to offend anyone. I should have sat back and let myself calm down before posting, but I have the unfortunate personality trait of a deficiency in patience or levelheadedness. I shouldn't have let my frustration with people I know in real life intercede with my behaviour online.

There is no validation of your approach. I do not have any respect for or acceptance of how you've conducted this.
  • I_Will_Be_The_Swan
    Options

There is no validation of your approach. I do not have any respect for or acceptance of how you've conducted this.

That was in regards to your sentence, "given the title of this particular forum it was entirely appropriate to post it here." I understand that you don't accept, approve of, or respect my conduct here. I never intended to upset or disturb anyone, but I have. I don't enjoy this, I didn't aim for this, and if I could do this over, I would in a heartbeat.

But I can't, and I won't apologize for my opinion. For its presentation? Absolutely.
  • trudijoy
    Options

That was in regards to your sentence, "given the title of this particular forum it was entirely appropriate to post it here." I understand that you don't accept, approve of, or respect my conduct here. I never intended to upset or disturb anyone, but I have. I don't enjoy this, I didn't aim for this, and if I could do this over, I would in a heartbeat.

But I can't, and I won't apologize for my opinion. For its presentation? Absolutely.

The OP posted this here, not you . . . .
  • I_Will_Be_The_Swan
    Options

The OP posted this here, not you . . . .

My apologies; let me clarify. I was referring to my comments on this thread. I think of them as posts due to the "post reply" button at the bottom of the page.
This discussion has been closed.