What is making me constipated? Is it protein powder?

Options
13»

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    @extra_medium @Christine_72 @Chef_Barbell

Yes... I'm in Australia and it is definitely the norm for good quality protein. I saw Chemist Warehouse sell a bunch of protein /fitness products for slightly less but I haven't tried them personally.

Makes sense then. That sucks though. PP here is about $30 for a tub.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    For coconut oil, I read that if you add it to coffee, it HAD to be virgin and unrefined cold pressed. I don't recall the rationale to this (it was a few months back that I stopped adding creamer to coffee and went black with coconut oil). Do others know if this is true and why?

I dont think it really matters what kind it is, its not going to help with weight loss(if thats what you were hoping?). coconut oil isnt a magical weight loss product if thats what you mean. it will add healthy fat to your diet,and may make the coffee taste better but other than thats all its going to accomplish. now it could help with bathroom trips though
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    There's generally three reasons this happens:

fat
    fiber
    water

Increase these and you should be good to go. this is, UNLESS, you have some sort of intolerance to whey in which case taking it out might help. I doubt it though, considering it's whey isolate (which removes most of the possible allergen/intolerance products like lactose).

I was going to post the same thing.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Neanbean13 wrote: »
    Whey protein is basically made by scraping the left over milk scum on side of pasture milk vat. My nutritionalist said whey can effect digestion esp if you might be lactose intolerant. Can effect down there. Try using diff source of protein powder not whey. But honestly, unless you lifting 3 or 4 times a week heavy protein powder is waste of money. You can get adequately through your diet.

Ummm, no. "Whey protein is produced during the process of making cheese, which starts when certain enzymes are added to milk, causing it to separate out into these constituent parts. One of the parts is called curds. The curds are used to make cheese, leaving behind whey protein in the liquid portion."
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Neanbean13 wrote: »
    Whey protein is basically made by scraping the left over milk scum on side of pasture milk vat. My nutritionalist said whey can effect digestion esp if you might be lactose intolerant. Can effect down there. Try using diff source of protein powder not whey. But honestly, unless you lifting 3 or 4 times a week heavy protein powder is waste of money. You can get adequately through your diet.

Ummm, no. "Whey protein is produced during the process of making cheese, which starts when certain enzymes are added to milk, causing it to separate out into these constituent parts. One of the parts is called curds. The curds are used to make cheese, leaving behind whey protein in the liquid portion."

love fried cheese curds(I know its veering off the subject but they are delicious)
  • smile_laughter
    smile_laughter Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    For coconut oil, I read that if you add it to coffee, it HAD to be virgin and unrefined cold pressed. I don't recall the rationale to this (it was a few months back that I stopped adding creamer to coffee and went black with coconut oil). Do others know if this is true and why?

I dont think it really matters what kind it is, its not going to help with weight loss(if thats what you were hoping?). coconut oil isnt a magical weight loss product if thats what you mean. it will add healthy fat to your diet,and may make the coffee taste better but other than thats all its going to accomplish. now it could help with bathroom trips though

Not looking for weight loss with coconut oil. I think it has to do with which kind is "healthier" for you.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Not looking for weight loss with coconut oil. I think it has to do with which kind is "healthier" for you.

honestly its hard to tell because there have been no real studies on which one is healthier, or even if it is healthier.There are no scientific studies(at least none I have heard of) backing up coconut oil claims.I know for me and the type of cholesterol issues I have many sites say to avoid it and many others say not to avoid it. there is too much conflicting info out there. I guess whichever one you like the most at this point.