No more wine time for this little drunk duck

124»

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Trish1c wrote: »
    If calories are your concern, wine is one of the better choices at around 120 calories per glass but you will consume less calories with light beer (some have as few as 64) or vodka & club or run & diet coke, even gin & diet tonic (regular tonic alone is 130 calories, for what I don't know)

Should have seen the look on one of my dance partner's faces when I ordered a vodka-diet coke (to save calories - I'm usually a wine or vodka-cranberry girl). (He was an ex of mine who knew me well - and was puzzled because that was not something I would typically ever order). Well- The first venue had unexpectedly shut down after my second drink (some rural folk had charter bus'd in for the show - they were fans of that particular band...and started a brawl in front of the stage - we were glad we had moved upstairs to get away from that train wreck and find more room to dance..the owner stepped up and shut the show down). Well- onward to the dive bar down the street with a jukebox along with some other locals who frequent the first venue (which is a well-respected local Rock/Americana venue)..and of course you have to order something to support the business or you're being an #ss - so drinks #3-4 were vodka-diet coke to make them almost fit. (I might have come out ahead if this one dude hadn't loaded the jukebox with a bunch of long blues songs, as opposed to the faster rock/swing we were requesting).

jytushfqhhrw.jpg

mta2dsi8ekly.jpg
  • SunriseReverie
    SunriseReverie Posts: 27 Member
    @Packerjohn I used to drink large volumes of wine at night, since going without or cutting back, I just can't get to sleep. I have a script for a Z class drug (not addictive like a benzodiazepine is) It's just hard lying awake until 2 in the morning and then trying to function! I'm Not the greatest sleeper at the best of times. Hopefully heavy exercise helps. Why do you ask anyway?

I've started a habit of reading in bed with a book light. It's helped me with my sleep issues. If I can't sleep I'll just read until I can't keep my eyes open..then repeat if you find yourself awake again once you turn off the lamp.
  • mmmpork
    mmmpork Posts: 133 Member
    Things that helped me to cut down: 1) mixing a smaller amount of wine with juice or sparkling water, then I still feel like I'm getting a big glass but I'm not really, 2) I get boxed wine (there's lots of good stuff out there) so I don't feel that I *have* to finish the whole bottle or it will go to waste, 3) I get small cans or small bottles of wine (srsly there is good stuff in cans!), 4) I started taking a medication that doesn't interact well with alcohol so I can only have it in the evening when the meds have worn off and I feel really *kitten* if I have more than one glass. I guess #4 is what really did it. I think the most important thing though is don't demonize it. A full scale ban will only encourage bingeing (confession: my weakness is ice cream and I do have a binge eating disorder, hence the meds). If anything, figure out how to work it into your diet. Like instead of a 6 oz pour, do a 3 oz pour. I do that with ice cream, instead of a full half cup serving (250 calories) I allow myself a 1/4 cup serving and learn to live with that. If I find myself falling into bingeing habits (eg, whoops i just accidentally the whole pint or omg can't stop thinking about that delicious pint omg must nom) then I get grounded from ice cream and have to live with Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice Tea and milk or Plain Whole Milk Yogurt for my evening dairy dose until I've hit my next major weight goal and can try again.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Trish1c wrote: »
    Wine is my downfall too. While intellectually I understand portion control, there is part of me that seems to think 1 portion of wine = 1 bottle not a 5 - 6 oz glass.

Ah ah! Same here. Usually a bottle the Friday night.

Honestly I didn't think a big deal of it. Calories are not an issue here. But doing so I have the impression that my body (and liver) is in "recovery mode" 25% of the time. Typically the next day I am fine but 2 days later (Sunday....) I always feel that my body is not at its best - I see a pattern.

I'll try to pass tomorrow (...Friday)! Wish me luck.