Weight loss surgery or NO?

Options
I have been struggling with my weight for years. I am a yo yo dieter. In order for insurance to cover my weight loss surgery, I need to gain 25 pounds. Should I do this? Has anyone had the sugery done? What are the pros and cons? I am capable of losing weight. I have lost 80 pounds in 2010 only to gain it back. It just seems like the older I get, the harder it is to lose.

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Yeah... no. This is not a good idea.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    Wait, gain wasn't a mistype?

Nope. OP wants to gain weight to qualify for WLS.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    WLS is a tool among many. People who have weight loss surgery but don't change their relationship with food will regain whatever they manage to lose after the surgery.

Don't eat one way to lose weight and then go back to your old way of eating after you reach your goal. Take your normal way of eating and tweak things so that you eat basically your normal way but with smaller portions and/or satisfying substitutions. Experiment to find a way of eating that works for you and is sustainable long-term.
  • ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Not if you have to gain weight in order to do it and lose weight. It doesn't make sense. Both of my parent's had gastric bypass and they were told to lose weight before the surgery.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    In your particular case, I'd say a big fat NO. Sorry.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, now that the surgery has become much more popular I know too many WLS individuals who are heavy...again. They never learned to portion control/eat right/make sustainable choices. The reality is if those are things you do not fix: YES you may lose weight in the beginning, but long-term you will end up right back where you started... So I vote: NO. Work right now on making you a better you, skip the WLS (you DON'T need it!), and make your weight loss stick this time around. :)
  • wwkwag
    wwkwag Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    @PaulaWallaDingDong GREAT job! What a difference in your pics!