Weight loss surgery or NO?

Options

Replies

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I would not gain weight to get a weight loss surgery- doing so may actually disqualify you for the surgery. Additionally any surgery has risks, weight loss and lipo included. And if you don't change your eating habits afterwards, it won't help. You say you are a yo-yo dieter, what exactly did you mean by that? You do extreme diets, lose the weight then go back to eating how you did before and gain it all back? If so, this surgery will just be one more yo-yo. After WLS, your whole diet need to change. And if it doesn't, you can seriously damage yourself, as well as not lose weight.
    Before doing an unnecessary, possible dangerous surgery, commit to making lifestyle changes- 5 fruits and veggies a day, staying in your calorie limit, and exercising three times a week. If all of that does not help, and you track honestly and faithfully, then talk to your doctor about surgery.
  • lisalewis7588
    lisalewis7588 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    As several people have already said, surgery is just another tool in your toolbox, NOT A MAGIC CURE. I've seen several people in my life get the surgery, only to have continued to eat as much as they could (rather than change their lifestyle) and stretched out their stomach after 10+ years and now even heavier than they ever were. Not to mention the side effects for the rest of your life.

• Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    jennyc777 wrote: »
    I have been struggling with my weight for years. I am a yo yo dieter. In order for insurance to cover my weight loss surgery, I need to gain 25 pounds. Should I do this? Has anyone had the sugery done? What are the pros and cons? I am capable of losing weight. I have lost 80 pounds in 2010 only to gain it back. It just seems like the older I get, the harder it is to lose.

Sounds like a horrible idea to me, no idea of your current health situation but what if those 25lbs put to much stress on your heart that's probably already being overworked...Just start working out and eating right, also ask your doctor what he/she thinks of your idea.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Have a friend. She had the surgery- did really well but it was NOT easy having to be forced to change lifelong habits. Actually, painful a lot of the time. She never got to a normal weight however.
    Now Im watching her creep right back up there just a few years later
    This is a big deal. Its not like lipo when you come out smaller. You still have to put in the work and eat less...forever.

The fact that you typed gain 25lbs so you can have weight loss surgery that will be covered by insurance is bad enough. But then you follow it up with you know you are capable of losing weight and have done it before?
    Reading that prompts the question of, so what makes you think life after surgery will keep you successful- long term?
    And what differs from applying those things to today as opposed to opting major surgery?

Edit: To expand on Ninerbuff- many people to take up a habit to replace the eating. For my friend it was smoking and more drinking. Not exactly a trade UP. Just something to consider. I think you are more capable than you think- most of us are. Tighten up those tennis shoes, walk and log your food!!
  • AlvinaHayman
    AlvinaHayman Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    im trying so hard to maintain my blood sugars and weight loss since july 16 ive reduced over 113 units of insulin drop per day compared to 3oo daily. but im on a list for bariatric surgury now for health problems is there any positive feed back about this surgury.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I know several people that have had WLS. The majority of them are larger now than they were before the WLS. Yes, it worked wonders for a while and they did lose the weight, but over time they were able to eat more and more... and they did. The months after surgery were often miserable for them as they would get sick so easily. My cousin had complications from the surgery itself and was in the hospital for a few weeks afterwards.
    The ones that I know that it has worked for still don't eat normally, they bring their own food to dinner parties, they are going to meetings years past the time of surgery. I know I have read testimonials of people on here who it has worked much better for, but my experiences with people that have had it makes me extremely leery of it.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    If you are already 25lb "too light" for WLS then you are on the right track - keep reducing through logging, good food choices and exercise! You've done it on WW - but put it back. This is because the levels they set are not sustainable long-term (seriously, any recipe suggesting splitting 150g of pasta between 4 people....!!). However, you can use MFP to control a more gradual weight loss which will help you maintain a healthier weight, and which will also help resolve some of your other health issues. I've lost weight and kept (most of) it off for the longest ever by weighing, logging and exercise - I log every morning and then if I want to exceed my calories I make a choice - swap something for something else, or do more exercise to "pay" for it. Its being aware of what food "costs" in calorie terms which helps me make the right choices. I still have days I go over, and I'm currently getting back to pre-vacation weight (oops!). Yes it is harder the older you are - I am 51 and started this three years ago as I was going up a dress size each decade and didn't want my son to be embarrassed by me at his graduation. You know you can do this, but you have to WANT to do it and that is a decision only you can take. There are lots of people here to support you losing the weight in a way which reduces your health risk!
  • AlvinaHayman
    AlvinaHayman Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    it seems that ive followed so many weight programs but at presents following this diabetic 1200 cal my weight seem like its holding as my blood sugars are getting inprove and need a boost to exercise. any suggestion
  • howekaren
    howekaren Posts: 159 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    im trying so hard to maintain my blood sugars and weight loss since july 16 ive reduced over 113 units of insulin drop per day compared to 3oo daily. but im on a list for bariatric surgury now for health problems is there any positive feed back about this surgury.

As I've said above, it can be positive, yes. It can drastically improve health and is a tool to get you where you need to be. Just be mindful that it also takes a lot of work and it's not easy.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    jennyc777 wrote: »
    I have been struggling with my weight for years. I am a yo yo dieter. In order for insurance to cover my weight loss surgery, I need to gain 25 pounds. Should I do this? Has anyone had the sugery done? What are the pros and cons? I am capable of losing weight. I have lost 80 pounds in 2010 only to gain it back. It just seems like the older I get, the harder it is to lose.

So, you know how to lose weight, the issue is not getting complacent and putting it back on. As many have shared, WLS won't help with that.

How old are you? You look like you're in your 30s in your profile picture. Paging @middlehaitch who has successfully lost weight in her 60s.
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Con: You are just as likely to gain the weight back as every other person who has had this surgery.
    Pro: Can't think of any.