Period or pregnancy hunger

Options
KiyaK
KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
I got off of my birth control, Implanon, about 4 1/2 weeks ago. I haven't had a period in years & have been on BC for almost a decade, so it's been forever since I felt the full wrath of my hormones. Took a pregnancy test last Thursday that was negative & plan to test again on Friday. Until then, I wanted to hear the experience of some women who are used to getting their periods. Is this normal?

For the last week or 2, I've had this WEIRD hunger. Not really like my stomach wants more food (Because I even felt this way after a big meal & feeling stuffed!) But like an undeniable compulson to eat more. And I'm REALLY craving simple carbs, which is usually not a problem for me.

I normally have no issues ignoring food urges, but this feels so different! I'm having a hard time staying under maintenance, much less the 1/2lb per week deficit MFP gave me... Experience? Tips?

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    When I first found out I was pregnant, the last thing I wanted was food. :sick:
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    It's really impossible to tell the difference between PMS symptoms and early pregnancy symptoms for a lot of women. They felt almost exactly the same for me. But craving carbs is pretty normal PMS symptom and if you have been on BC for a while it's not uncommon to have a pretty intense period (and all associated symptoms) the first few months.
    Keep testing regularly until you get your period and try not to drive yourself crazy with looking for different symptoms. If you go 60 days without a period or a positive test call your doc.
  • jenfitnessmama
    jenfitnessmama Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    About a week or so before my period all I want to do is eat anything and everything I can find! However, when I was in my first trimester the last thing I wanted was good. Could just be your hormones.
  • jenfitnessmama
    jenfitnessmama Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    *food
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    KiyaK wrote: »
    I got off of my birth control, Implanon, about 4 1/2 weeks ago. I haven't had a period in years & have been on BC for almost a decade, so it's been forever since I felt the full wrath of my hormones. Took a pregnancy test last Thursday that was negative & plan to test again on Friday. Until then, I wanted to hear the experience of some women who are used to getting their periods. Is this normal?

For the last week or 2, I've had this WEIRD hunger. Not really like my stomach wants more food (Because I even felt this way after a big meal & feeling stuffed!) But like an undeniable compulson to eat more. And I'm REALLY craving simple carbs, which is usually not a problem for me.

I normally have no issues ignoring food urges, but this feels so different! I'm having a hard time staying under maintenance, much less the 1/2lb per week deficit MFP gave me... Experience? Tips?

Well, I have that same undeniable/uncontrollable urge to eat when I start my first week of active pills. It's actually scary because the urge is so strong. When that happens to me, I usually give in and eat over 3,000 calories. But it's generally for that one day, and it doesn't happen again for some weeks. It hasn't affected my maintenance. I am fairly confident that you are experiencing hormonal hunger/cravings. It causes your stomach to be a bottomless pit. Some women don't have this. I do, and I can't ignore when it happens.
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! It's been a few years since I had a period & WAY longer since I had fully natural cycles, so all these hormones are throwing me for a loop! I was definitely not prepared mentally for THIS aspect of going off birth control. Don't know why... it's just been so long that it didn't even cross my mind haha. Learning curve...