Metabolic Adaptation Plan

Options
Russellb97
Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
edited August 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
60vx77fg0qyw.jpg

I see so many posts here from those who are stuck, in a plateau or even gaining weight. I know the frustration that comes with trying to lose weight and pain of gaining it back. Science is proving that diets themselves are what make long-term weight loss nearly impossible due to Metabolic Adaptation or what was once called "starvation mode". Short-term dieting needs to be avoided at all costs. Success isn't just losing weight, it's losing it and keeping it off. This isn't a quick-fix. Day one shouldn't be diet day one it should be lifestyle plan day one.

Only a small percentage of those who lose weight keep it off long-term, and the majority of those people have to be more active and eat less calories due to a slower metabolism.

However in my journey I have been able to avoid the slowdown and lost 100lbs 12 years-ago and another 30lbs since.

To me the most important factor in determining weight-loss success is metabolism so therefor the conventional methods won't work. Studies have shown that Leptin, which is the main hormone that sparks metabolic adaptation, is acutely responsive to 24hr energy balances but it takes several days and weeks of calorie restriction to be a real nuisance. The good news is Leptin is also highly responsive to a positive energy balance.

There's no "set weight", I don't believe our body takes inventory of fat storage, otherwise it wouldn't be so stingy with letting it go. Instead it is tracking energy balance and I believe it's tracking it daily following a 24 hour clock like a Circadian rhythm and while we sleep it's tweaking resting metabolic rate to find homeostasis.

The trick for my success is breaking the pattern of dieting with a 24 hour calorie surplus one day every week. It's obviously enough to keep metabolism honest and if done right you are still in a weekly deficit. The calorie surplus is an emphatic message to your body that there's plenty of food around and it's ok to go back to normal.
I owe the life I have to living this plan. I have a fit body and I still get to eat what I love every single week.

The best way to do this is take your weekly calories you'd normally spread over 7 days and divide it by 8 instead because day 7 is actually a 2XCal day.
For example, if you have 14,000 calories over a week. Instead of 2,000 a day. Take 14,000/8
=1,750
6 Days you are around 1,750
One day at 3,500

That's the plan in a "nutshell"
I call my 2X day my Spike Day. It's not cheating and while I do focus on eating a lot of carbs it's also not a true refeed day. It's really whatever I want to eat and it spikes leptin and my mood.
The mental benefits are just as amazing as the metabolic benefits. I hope you give it a shot.

Replies

• oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I can give it a shot. MFP has me at 1300 cals a day to lose a pound a week. To follow your plan I would be eating 1138 cals for six days a week and 2275 cals for one day. I'm not sure I'd be able to maintain a regime of 6 days of 1138 cals for longer than a month. What I'm doing instead is 5 days of around 1600 (on average) and 2 days of 500 as per the 5:2 Fast diet - because 1300 cals 7 days a week just makes me sad too.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    So your plan is basically a caloric deficit and refeed? I don't think this is ground breaking or new!
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I mentioned something like that a few weeks ago to someone on here. Of course there are some skeptics that don't believe it to be true, but what works for one doesn't work for all. My body works like that. I can be at a deficit every day but the scale won't move. When I go about 300 over my calories, I lose 1 1/2-2 lbs the next day. I have to eat over my limit 1-2x a week, about every 3-4 days. I think there is some truth to what you're saying in that we're giving our metabolism a shock.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    So our metabolisms slows and we can maintain our weight with less calories after we lose a lot of weight? WHAT MAGIC IS THIS?! Thermodynamics?!

Here's a discussion on reverse dieting that sheds quite a bit of light on this very subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swrul81qco8
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    @Russellb97 - your way wouldn't work for me, but that's fine, there are many paths up the mountain. You look fabulous - well done!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Periodic refeeds during caloric restriction can actually prevent this instead of waiting until you are in one. I am not sure each week is necessary.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Russellb97 wrote: »
    The best way to do this is take your weekly calories you'd normally spread over 7 days and divide it by 8 instead because day 7 is actually a 2XCal day.
    For example, if you have 14,000 calories over a week. Instead of 2,000 a day. Take 14,000/8
    =1,750
    One day at 3,500

I call my 2X day my Spike Day. It's not cheating and while I do focus on eating a lot of carbs it's also not a true refeed day. It's really whatever I want to eat and it spikes leptin and my mood.
    The mental benefits are just as amazing as the metabolic benefits. I hope you give it a shot.

Just curious, if you were doing a 6-day a week workout (I am) would you put those 3500 calories on your rest day, or on one of your lower cal days?

I don't see your method as a huge issue one way or another, since weekly calories still even out. I'm not at the point where I can even out my calories yet (just doesn't work for me yet.. but getting there) because I burn so much more on different days of the week (weekends I typically burn 30% more calories). So I end up with a calorie load of around 2800 a day 6 days a week and somewhere around 2000 calories on my rest day to stay at maintenance. Your method actually appeals to me, and it may be something I try down the road.
  • Russellb97
    edited August 2016
    Options
    So your plan is basically a caloric deficit and refeed? I don't think this is ground breaking or new!

True, but it seems like many people here are struggling with it. I wrote this after reading multiple posts about being stuck in a plateau. When I first began posting about this 12-13 years-ago on other sites I was told it was insignificant or "bro-science" and that my body would figure it out and I'd gain it all back. People can be cruel on message boards.

This is no longer "bro-science" but just science, my body after 12 years has yet to figure me out and this is very significant. I grew up overweight and I tried dieting too many times to count. This way of eating not only works to drop the weight but it keeps metabolism from nose-diving making maintaining weight-loss so much easier.
  • Russellb97
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    So our metabolisms slows and we can maintain our weight with less calories after we lose a lot of weight? WHAT MAGIC IS THIS?! Thermodynamics?!

Here's a discussion on reverse dieting that sheds quite a bit of light on this very subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swrul81qco8

Metabolic Adaptation goes far beyond; less body weight = less energy used.

I always knew there was more to losing weight than "eat less and exercise more" because I've done just that over and over again. Sure I'd lose weight at the beginning but I'd hit a point of little weight loss and extreme food cravings. That's when I'd give up. Some would say I lacked "will power" and some actually accused me of lying on my food logs. Well these studies prove there was something else going on after all.

I totally agree that it ultimately comes down to calories in versus calories out. Truth is if you stop eating you will lose weight. However the point isn't just losing weight it's sustained weight-loss and for that metabolism is the key.

"Adaptive thermogenesis can make a difference in the ability of obese individuals to lose body weight."
    Int J Obes (Lond). 2013 Jun;37(6):759-64

"Many studies have also documented the existence of adaptive thermogenesis in the context of weight loss, which represents a greater-than-predicted decrease in energy expenditure. In this paper, we pursue the analysis of this phenomenon by demonstrating that an adaptive decrease in thermogenesis can have a major role in the occurrence of resistance to further lose fat in weight-reduced obese individuals."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22846776 -3X

• Russellb97
    Options
    =1,750
    One day at 3,500

Just curious, if you were doing a 6-day a week workout (I am) would you put those 3500 calories on your rest day, or on one of your lower cal days?

I don't see your method as a huge issue one way or another, since weekly calories still even out. I'm not at the point where I can even out my calories yet (just doesn't work for me yet.. but getting there) because I burn so much more on different days of the week (weekends I typically burn 30% more calories). So I end up with a calorie load of around 2800 a day 6 days a week and somewhere around 2000 calories on my rest day to stay at maintenance. Your method actually appeals to me, and it may be something I try down the road.

I have my high calorie on a rest day so it's a total break from diet and exercise. Also I have amazing workouts the day after the rest day with all of the stored glycogen and recovery.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Seems a bit prescriptive but I'm completely behind dealing with your calorie allowance on a weekly rather than daily basis

Some days you're hungrier, some you're going out, some you don't really care ..best to be flexible for me

But no bro-science or promises

Just easier to stick to
  • Sued0nim
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Also I thought the concept of refeed required at least a couple of weeks at maintenance to replenish depleted leptin
  • hjlourenshj
    hjlourenshj Posts: 66 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    =1,750
    One day at 3,500

I have my high calorie on a rest day so it's a total break from diet and exercise. Also I have amazing workouts the day after the rest day with all of the stored glycogen and recovery.

Did you ever thought about that your 'Metabolic Adaptation' can actually just be a break from water retention? With all that stored glycogen after your spike day you pulled a lot of water out of your body for the storage of glycogen. After you go on a deficit again you are loosing this glycogen and water and you have your 'break in plateau'. look up dry carb refeed, even whooshes fits your post from last week with your long plateau and doing anything right better then this metabolic adaption. I know you are selling this and want to make some money but to me its bro sciences. And to be honest even to you this has to be bro-sciences because you are just connecting idea's and have zero experimental data to back this up.

Not that whooshes are true! just saying, its fits the same story

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html/
  • Russellb97
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Also I thought the concept of refeed required at least a couple of weeks at maintenance to replenish depleted leptin
    Refeeds are also used to replenish macro's. I don't really see what I've been doing the past 12+ years as a typical refeed. It's a day off to restore, recover and enjoy food & life.

Also, Leptin can stay low at maintenance calories after dieting so I have a purposeful calorie surplus. Having it weekly keeps leptin from dropping too low.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I refeed once a week for my sanity so I get it. Glad it worked for you, OP.
  • Russellb97
    Options
    =1,750
    One day at 3,500

Did you ever thought about that your 'Metabolic Adaptation' can actually just be a break from water retention? With all that stored glycogen after your spike day you pulled a lot of water out of your body for the storage of glycogen. After you go on a deficit again you are loosing this glycogen and water and you have your 'break in plateau'. look up dry carb refeed, even whooshes fits your post from last week with your long plateau and doing anything right better then this metabolic adaption. I know you are selling this and want to make some money but to me its bro sciences. And to be honest even to you this has to be bro-sciences because you are just connecting idea's and have zero experimental data to back this up.

I understand what you you're saying but I'm posting here because my experience can help someone. You can call this bro-science if you want and yeah I've had to connect a few dots. The fact is there are dots to connect that show why I was able to lose 100lbs in less than a year and another 30lbs over the next 10.
    Instead of struggling to maintain, I've breezed through it. The difference is night and day.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Refeeds are also used to replenish macro's. I don't really see what I've been doing the past 12+ years as a typical refeed. It's a day off to restore, recover and enjoy food & life.

Also, Leptin can stay low at maintenance calories after dieting so I have a purposeful calorie surplus. Having it weekly keeps leptin from dropping too low.

Explain what repleneshing macros mean please

• Russellb97
    Options
    The emphasis of the refeed is a macro not calories. Basically I was told you fast from either fats, carbs or protein short-term and then focus refeed on it for a day. I don't practice this, it's just what I've heard.

• hjlourenshj
    hjlourenshj Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    =1,750
    One day at 3,500

I understand what you you're saying but I'm posting here because my experience can help someone. You can call this bro-science if you want and yeah I've had to connect a few dots. The fact is there are dots to connect that show why I was able to lose 100lbs in less than a year and another 30lbs over the next 10.
    Instead of struggling to maintain, I've breezed through it. The difference is night and day.

Yeah its good that you want to help people loose weight but do you realize that you are saying stuff that you don't back up with scientific data? You draw some lines between theories and for that reason alone it is already bro-sciences. I'm happy for you that you lost that weight but to be honest, its because of your behavioral changes