Ribs showing at maintenance

I am 55kg, 170cm, my ribs are showing even though I don't stretch. Should I get more pounds? Some girls my height are maintaining at 55, but they dont look as skinny as me

Replies

• B4Rachael
    B4Rachael Posts: 155 Member
    I am 5'6" and my goal is 135; everyone looks and feels different at different weights. If you feel too skinny because your ribs are showing then that means you aren't happy where you are at and you should gain 5-10 lbs and see how you feel at that weight. Just because another person your height and weight is happy where they are at doesn't mean that should be your goal weight. It's YOUR goal; so you should be happy with how you look and feel.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Your weight sounds OK, ribs showing is no big deal if you feel good. Try some core - building exercises and see if adding a little muscle improves your look.

If you'd be happier with more weight, that's OK too, you are on the low side of healthy weight range; but don't be freaked out by ribs.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    My ribs showed a bit at maintenance, but I'm naturally smaller on top so that's where I thinned out the most. Compared to the ribs I still had big legs and a big butt. I chose to stay at the weight I was at because my bottom half got somewhat smaller which was what I wanted. I'd rather not have the ribs, but that's the trade off I settled for. You may feel differently. Whatever makes you comfortable in your own skin is ok.
  • sunshira
    sunshira Posts: 14 Member
    Go with what makes you feel healthy and what is fairly easy to maintain. I weigh more than what is recommended and people still tell me i look too thin and not to lose more. I have a larger chest so i weigh more. Everyones body is different
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    You can't control where your weight is stored. My ribs show a little when I stretch too. I just think society is so used to seeing overweight/obese bodies that we have no clue what a healthy bodies actually look like.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    You might want to gain a few kg back. I'm 135 cm and weigh 53 kg; another lady at the gym I belong to is the same height said that she looked horrible at 53kg--looks better at 61. So I think that it depends on your build and how you want to look. Jrulo is right; we're clueless when it comes to what healthy looks like. I think a little meat looks so much better than walking skin & bones. Good luck.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    jrulo16 wrote: »
    You can't control where your weight is stored. My ribs show a little when I stretch too. I just think society is so used to seeing overweight/obese bodies that we have no clue what a healthy bodies actually look like.

I'm not sure that being able to see ribs is defined as a healthy body or unhealthy body. I do agree that we can't control where weight is stored. I see tons of bones now that I have lost weight, but I don't believe that indicates I have a healthy body. What I would like to see is more muscles. :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,792 Member
    Your call. Personally, I base my weight decision more on how I feel than how I look. And different people prefer different looks, besides, so really only you can decide where you want to be, within a fairly wide healthy range.

As it turns out, at 5'5" (165cm) and 120lb (54kg), I can see my ribs pretty easily without stretching or anything, and my upper body seems a bit skinny (though with a bit of muscle, especially for a li'l ol' lady).

OTOH, from the waist down, I can still see a bit of superficial fat that (aesthetically) I wish were spread around my body a bit better. Top half looks like photos of others with body fat in the teens (%), bottom half looks more like middle 20s.

Oh, well. I feel great, so I'm fine with it.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,099 Member
    My ribs showed at overweight BMI and 30lbs ago, my body stores fat in the lower half and dropped that upper body fat first. It is all about your body. If you are not comfortable with how you look then that choice is up to you. I am still cutting and mine show no mater what.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Your call. Personally, I base my weight decision more on how I feel than how I look. And different people prefer different looks, besides, so really only you can decide where you want to be, within a fairly wide healthy range.

As it turns out, at 5'5" (165cm) and 120lb (54kg), I can see my ribs pretty easily without stretching or anything, and my upper body seems a bit skinny (though with a bit of muscle, especially for a li'l ol' lady).

OTOH, from the waist down, I can still see a bit of superficial fat that (aesthetically) I wish were spread around my body a bit better. Top half looks like photos of others with body fat in the teens (%), bottom half looks more like middle 20s.

Oh, well. I feel great, so I'm fine with it.

This. My top half looks way leaner than my bottom half! But atm I am happy with how I look and am maintaining - with some more muscle growth thrown in for good measure hopefully. I'll start to focus on more leg workouts too now to try to get the booty growing and the quads more poppy-outty
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited August 2016
    Given that you're a 22 year old MALE in Cape Verde
    at:
    5'5" and 121. I'd focus on being a healthy WOMAN rather than on what other GIRLS are doing and thinking.
    You're thin. You know you're thin.

USE that to your advantage: create a very healthy relationship with food NOW: eat healthfully 80% of the time, have fun the other 20%. Do weight bearing exercises, do cardiovascular exercises. Get on with life and have a great time.

Your DIARY looks pretty good. Don't think about other girls.

PS: i grew up thin and my ribs and collarbones never showed.