Binge eating/food obsession

As the title states I have a binge eating problem which stems from having a food obcession. I would love to keep in contact with people like me with support.
Even if I'm eating healthier, I think about food 24/7. When I am going to eat next is always on my mind. And binge eating has always been a problem. I need friends like me and what helped you if you have these problems!!

Replies

• KimF0715
    KimF0715 Posts: 114 Member
    I binge eat to control stress. I've done it for years. When I was younger and super active, it mattered very little. Now that I am 45, it has packed an extra 15 pounds on me in the past 5 years. I have to learn to eat mindfully. I can't say that I am food obsessed but I do have a large appetite and portion control is a problem for me.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Yes I fit this bill.

Add me
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2016
    Muchabibi wrote: »
    Please add me. I have struggled on and off since the age of 9, & I'm in my mid 40s now. I am 1st-gen American, came from a very passive, almost reclusive immigrant family & was taught that wasting food was immoral. After all these years I have come to find that it is absolutely NOT about the food---I have binged on both healthy & processed food, so I respectfully disagree that focusing on food you like can prevent a binge. I have had success so far in reflecting what event/s in my past triggered this coping mechanism. Still a work in progress

Just a quick question, could that "healthy food" be described as "diet food", and the "processed food" as "junk food"? Both kinds are unsatisfying, and unsatisfying food tends to lead some (many) people to overeat, to try to get the satisfaction they need, but that the food just won't and can't provide. Real, good, home cooked or restaurant meals don't normally have that effect. Just my two cents.
  • HazyEyes93
    HazyEyes93 Posts: 89 Member
    I don't know if I would say that I am a binge eater, as I don't necessarily eat to the point of being ill, but I am a compulsive eater. Once I get my mind fixated on eating something, I feel incredibly anxious until I do. So, keeping my head in the right place is THE most important thing for me. I fill all of my social media with positive things, and a lot of weight loss and fitness motivation. So, I definitely add me. I am trying to be more honest with myself, as well Like actually logging with I mess up instead of sticking my head in the sand and pretending that it didn't happen and "tomorrow is a new day." Anyway, yeah, hi.
  • Muchabibi
    Muchabibi Posts: 8 Member
    sadinplaid wrote: »
    I'm also a binge eater and emotional eater and would be happy to support each other! I've gone through periods where I weighed as much as 300 pounds and other periods where I've gained 30 pounds in the span of 3 or 4 months from binge eating. Right now, I'm almost 9 months into not binging and steadily losing weight by exercising and eating well. There's been a combination of things I've been doing to help myself: using MFP no matter what, starting therapy with a licensed counselor, tapping or EFT - demonstration here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvHIilsh2ug (it looks crazy, but I'm a believer) and trying to fit yoga in at least once a week. I find it also helps to tell someone when I'm thinking about binging vs. hiding and eating all of the chocolate and then feeling ashamed (and then falling into a cycle of shame that breeds more binging).

@sadinplaid congrats on 9 months! That is truly an accomplishment & something I am striving for----actually I have a lot of "Day 1"s but have not had 2 consecutive days of no binging. You are an inspiration! Let us know how therapy is helping you <3

• kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    it's a hard thing.. I've gained back 20 of the 90 lbs lost and I can't seem to stop myself some nights. It's all "good for you" food.. but seriously, not in those quantities.. Last night I entered 1000 calories.. it was likely 4 or 5000 but it is more a "note to self" Lots of reasons and excuses here..but it is almost winter and my pants won't fit unless I get on the ball and get this done. Feel free to add me..
  • przybylc3
    przybylc3 Posts: 2 Member
    As the title states I have a binge eating problem which stems from having a food obcession. I would love to keep in contact with people like me with support.
    Even if I'm eating healthier, I think about food 24/7. When I am going to eat next is always on my mind. And binge eating has always been a problem. I need friends like me and what helped you if you have these problems!!

• przybylc3
    przybylc3 Posts: 2 Member
    Help, I'm not quite sure how this app completely world but would like to get help and come to terms with my binge eating as I do especially hide it from others. Is there a group to join or how does this work. Desperately needing support
  • Jolenetaylor5513
    Jolenetaylor5513 Posts: 226 Member
    I am 100%understanding of this. That was what happened to me, to the point I would eat even when I was full and did my think about anything else but food
  • DanerTee
    DanerTee Posts: 263 Member
    I'm also a binge eater. Feel free to add me!