Binge eating/food obsession

Replies

• felinasbeads
    felinasbeads Posts: 75 Member
    Well, I needed to find this post today. I've tried everything. It started for me about 20 years ago when I would first purge with laxatives and then just not eat. Then I was better, or at least in remission. Now for the past 5 years or so, I have struggled with bed and I can't take it. I'm not suicidal but I'm so miserable, depressed and all I can do is think about food. I can't go to the OA group in my area because it's on soccer mornings. I've tried therapists. I just don't think they get it. I've tried Vyvanse but that started leading me back to not eating at all. I eat it all. Everything. If it's not nailed down, I'll probably find a way to eat it. The vending machine at work takes credit cards. My binges cost me on average, $11 a day. I'm at a loss myself. I can't do this anymore. I don't know how to stop. Nothing works. So I get it. Totally. Hate that I do, but I do. We are all not alone.
  • george7527
    george7527 Posts: 267 Member
    Well, I needed to find this post today. I've tried everything. It started for me about 20 years ago when I would first purge with laxatives and then just not eat. Then I was better, or at least in remission. Now for the past 5 years or so, I have struggled with bed and I can't take it. I'm not suicidal but I'm so miserable, depressed and all I can do is think about food. I can't go to the OA group in my area because it's on soccer mornings. I've tried therapists. I just don't think they get it. I've tried Vyvanse but that started leading me back to not eating at all. I eat it all. Everything. If it's not nailed down, I'll probably find a way to eat it. The vending machine at work takes credit cards. My binges cost me on average, $11 a day. I'm at a loss myself. I can't do this anymore. I don't know how to stop. Nothing works. So I get it. Totally. Hate that I do, but I do. We are all not alone.

im glad i v come across this also im struggling atm. been dieting since the age of 11 im now 51 such a waste of time and like worrying but cannt help my self been abusing laxatives for many many years to the point that i cant go to loo with out them, on top of that been purging. not in a good place. thanks for sharing
  • I have the same sort of problem! 5 years ago after having my 2nd baby, I had a very traumatic labour, then went on to have baby number 3 and had another traumatic labour, I found myself comfort eating, not going out, and piling on more and more weight. If I get stressed or anxious I immediately want to eat and I never seem to feel full! It's awful! I'm now 4.5 stone heavier than my old "normal" weight. After turning 30 last weekend I have decided I need to stop and get fit,
    Lose weight and feel good about myself again, I'd love support and friendship from others with similar problems, I have been able to stop myself binging, if I stop and physically say No to myself, but I know I could slip back into it easily. X
  • lilstry
    lilstry Posts: 120 Member
    Before you eat something ask yourself a couple of questions.

1. Are you hungry?
    2. Is this food healthy for you or are you eating junk food/snacks just because it tastes good.

As humans we are meant to 'eat to live' and not 'live to eat'.

Make sure when you go to make food or anything like that. You are hungry. Not bored,sad or eating for any emotion.

It may help if you post notes for yourself on the fridge. Something empowering. Reminding you of your goals.
  • waynefarrow
    waynefarrow Posts: 5 Member
    Please feel free to add me, I was once diagnosed with something that I'd never heard of a "Binge Eating Disorder". In some way it was a relief to actually have a name for my compulsive behaviour I felt I always had. I've since come to terms with this but the battle goes on, I'm back on the straight an d narrow now and try to deal with this the best I can.
  • 33bbcc33
    33bbcc33 Posts: 59 Member
    I binge eat. I think sugar or carbs is my trigger. Peanut butter and chocolate is my weakness. Sweets in general. I can't just have one. I binged on chocolate covered pretzel thins the other day. Tried to stay in proportion and went out of control. I binged on peanut butter cups. The calories in one is just ridiculous! I've learned I just can't buy these things for myself! Add me if you want.
  • sadinplaid
    sadinplaid Posts: 140 Member
    Please feel free to add me, I was once diagnosed with something that I'd never heard of a "Binge Eating Disorder". In some way it was a relief to actually have a name for my compulsive behaviour I felt I always had. I've since come to terms with this but the battle goes on, I'm back on the straight an d narrow now and try to deal with this the best I can.

I felt the exact same way when I found out that this is an actual diagnosable thing in the DSM that many many people are suffering with. For a long time I just believed I was a loser with no will power. It's been nearly 11 months since I last binged, but I don't look at it as something that is cured but more like something that will most likely always be there that I just have to stay aware of.
  • dolezalovaeli
    dolezalovaeli Posts: 24 Member
    Hi, I've been successfully beating the urges for about a month now (which might seem like very little but it's actually a lot for me). There are a few things that help me every day - first, I know that I'm most likely to binge in the evening so I eat most of my calories during the late afternoon. Second, I have a sweet tooth so managing it is my main focus. I need to have something sweet every day otherwise the chance of me binging is higher. What works for me is freshly squeezed lemon juice and one teaspoon of honey, pour over hot water and drink instead of tea. The warmth of the drink will make you feel like you "ate" a meal and somehow the combination of honey and lemon keeps my sweet tooth at bay, even tho the drink is actually sour-ish.

Also, when I feel the binge coming on I drink a glass or two of water and go distract myself (actively, passive distraction like watching TV makes things worse). A distraction strategy that works for me is - focusing on something I need to do for my work, video games, online shopping (clothes, not food and sometimes I dont even buy anything, just make a list of interesting items), cleaning around the house (cleaning bath, shower and sinks seems particularly effective as you focus a lot on scrubbing).

Another thing that helped tremendously is I stopped rewarding myself with food. I used to do it subconsciously but now I consciously have a reward system which involves other pleasures of life like massages and cosmetics and spas and such instead of dinners and treats.

And my last tip, I bought a pendant which says "One step at a time". When I feel I might binge, I look at it. Realizing how far I've come until this very point in time gives me the strength not to give in now. Somewhere along the way, not breaking the chain became more important than anything.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    edited October 2016
    as mentioned above its in our genetic make up as "animals" to constantly think about food. My dogs know they get fed everyday they know when.. no matter what they act like its the last meal they might have.
    I too constantly think about food, was a chef for 10 years degrees in culinary arts, hospitality management, and a masters in nutrition. I love eating for any and all occasions (oh theres a game on lets make 400 snacks and drink wooo!)
    Pre logging helps.. but what really helps
    me is being active. I will NEVER stop loving to eat... oh i binged on some chips il go walk for 30 mins. I balance the eating with activity. I dont binge that much anymore and i work out (walk, hike, swim, pilates weights ect) so much now that even if i do go off the rails it doesnt really matter.
  • kmit96
    kmit96 Posts: 5 Member
    i find it super hard as well....so glad to find some other people like me. I will do so well for a week or so and take off like 3-5 lbs and my personal trainer is so encouraged. he was trying to get me down 2lbs a week and i seem to be like a yo-yo going up and down because i keep suddenly binge eating. the worst is that my friend is slightly curvier than me so she is always telling me "oh you look fine ....cmon have a donut with me" or "who cares you already look perfect" ..etc, etc...and my family tends to be the same way... except most of my sisters are naturally skinny no matter what they eat, so they can't understand the calorie counting/exercise that i have to do. It just makes it super hard because ill do great all week , then come home friday afternoon and see junk food being consumed everywhere, and suddenly i find myself on my fifth handful of m&m's. i wish i had someone that woudl just understand the way i think and where i am coming from and hold me accountable. because i KNOW its SO unhealthy and feel sooo *kitten*/discouraged/angry after i wish i could puke it back up. anyways... im just glad i found a thread with similar people. i HATE it when people (my personal trainer, etc) say "just drink water instead", "or go eat an apple" , "are you actually even hungry?"....because i KNOW all that stuff is true but at the time there is NOTHING i can do its like i become possessed and im just eating as much sweet/fatty foods as possible. its SO frustrating.
    but cheers to everyone who has managed to overcome binge eating though! I think that's SO encouraging to see.
    to the rest, remember start fresh the next day, not the next week. together we can kick this! ;)
  • jason3105
    jason3105 Posts: 30 Member
    I struggle with the same problems. Typically triggered by stress. I find myself eating mindlessly and before I know it, I've consumed way more calories than I should have. I tell myself that I'll start fresh tomorrow, but it usually takes 3-4 days to get back on track. It's a constant, vicious cycle that I go through. Glad I've found people that can relate. Feel free to add me.
  • Kupo98
    Kupo98 Posts: 103 Member
    This book changed my life...and I don't state that lightly!
  • Kupo98
    Kupo98 Posts: 103 Member
    Oops...the book is called Made to Crave. Please check it out.
  • Fitgirllife72
    Fitgirllife72 Posts: 500 Member
    sadinplaid wrote: »
    @makingmark I know exactly how you feel. Where you say your brain goes haywire- I used to equate it to feeling like blacking out- like coming to and realizing I ate the family size box of velveeta Mac and cheese by myself.

Exactly this. I have struggled with binge eating for as long as I can remember. When I am in a binge it's almost like I am having an out of body experience. It's weird. I don't feel like myself and I get in this zone just scrambling to find more and more food to fix what is going on with me in the moment. Most of my binges these days are anxiety related. I hate anxiety.
  • purebredpolly
    purebredpolly Posts: 318 Member
    edited October 2016
    Feel free to add me, I'm in recovery, and I'm sure I could be of some help to you. :smile:
  • quimbytimmons
    quimbytimmons Posts: 4 Member
    Feel free to add me as well. I suffer from Body Dysmorphia and BED with OCD. I constantly think about food, and had such a bad night snacking problem I had to have 15 fillings done. I have lost 96 lbs since January and have gotten it 75% under control but I do have binge days still.
  • Melmo1988
    Melmo1988 Posts: 293 Member
    I was a binge eater, started about 5 1/2 years ago. I don't binge anymore but I do still eat emotionally, I eat large embarassing amounts of food and eat past the point of being full and often until I feel sick. I had lost 75lbs 5 1/2 years ago and it started after that. I had gone from 238lbs to 162, and then when I got pregnant I went up to like 250lbs and now I am at 210 but I want to get back down to at least 160 again.
  • hfuellner
    hfuellner Posts: 1 Member
    I am 18 days into my new lifestyle and it has been far from easy. I am a binge eater who has struggled off and on since 3rd grade. Now at 36 and on the cusp of some major health issues it is time once and for all for a true change. Not some fad diet but something that never ends. I will always have to be aware of my triggers or they will get the best of me. I am now going to overeaters anonymous meetings and logging my food. I am going to start exercising next week and start slow as i have been having issues with my right knee. We can and will beat this disordered eating. It takes time and patience within ourselves. Hang in there
  • 33bbcc33
    33bbcc33 Posts: 59 Member
    Does exercising after a binge negate the calories you ate equally? I had a bad binge the other day (over 1500 calories) and walked a bunch the next morning then went to the gym and did about an hour half hiit on treadmill, weights, plus cut my calories that day by about half. It makes me feel relieved that I am burning off those calories and I calculate it so that it seems the binge never happened. Does all that work really help? I don't do this often, it just would be nice to know you can do something to "fight back" I guess. Plus it seems to put all those extra calories to use.