Body fat at a low BMI

Options
So when I lost weight I got down to 179 at 6'5". I still had a bit of overhang on my stomach. I wanted to lose some more weight to see if it get's smaller. I've asked this question elsewhere, and everyone says that 179 is too low for someone my height. I don't understand that if I still had an overhanging stomach, why can't I lose more weight? It's not like I am going to go so low as to be underweight. I could have still lost 20 pounds and be at a healthy weight. Perhaps some of it is excess skin as I've been pretty fat most of my life.

I have a naturally low muscle body. Lanky I guess. Why can't I lose more weight and why does it concern people if I want to lose a bit more. They haven't even seen my picture yet they say I have body dysmorphia? Can't a person just be at a lower weight and still be healthy?

I can post a picture if you want to see what I looked like at my lowest weight, and the fat I am talking about. It's not too terribly much, not really noticeable with clothes on, but I didn't like it and wanted to get rid of a bit more. What are your thoughts? I want to be able to take my shirt off comfortably around people and not be self conscious about my stomach. I want to get back to that weight, lose a bit more, then work on building muscle.

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I ran an ideal weight calculator on your height and weight and it came to around 187 (lower end). I am not sure why you want to loose 20 more pounds to get down to 159ish. Unless you really are trying to get down to a very low body fat to hammer out a bulk for a while. Now to just stay around 159 and "be healthy" this does not sound like the ideal goal to me. My husband is 6'0" and even 159 is low for him and his body build.

So focus on getting down to the body fat you want and go for the bulk and cut cycles.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    OP I am a bit confused by your post in this thread. You said you weighed 230 in July 26, 2016 and the stomach issue was not prevalent at 180.. I am not sure that I understand this new thread today and its entirety.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10434327/do-you-get-told-you-dont-need-to-lose-weight/p4

and this from yesterday..

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/37458496#Comment_37458496

I have to say that after reading some your posts I am a bit alarmed at some of the things I see and even with your current medical conditions. Is it possible that there is some body dysmorphia going on with your current situation? Is it possible that you want to loose weight in a bit more of unhealthy way than you are describing in this thread? All I can say is good luck with what ever direction you go into.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I had a relatively small stomach, I say it hangs, but it's more like sticks out. I guess hang was the wrong word. I definitely wanted it smaller. I might have a bit of dysmorphia, but I saw room for improvement. I saw fat that I didn't want and thought losing another 10 pounds would get rid of most of it.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Everyone still has an amount of body fat. Maybe you should try getting some muscle - often bulking a little bit when you're at a low weight will make you look thinner and I bet would transform your stomach in a way you're happy with.
  • duddysdad
    Options
    I know I make contradictory posts, I am just so confused and want to get the body I've always wanted. I'm sorry if I confuse people.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Are you sure a lot of the "overhang" isn't just loose skin? losing more weight wont help that, if that is the case.

Do you know your BF%, as that will be a better telling sign if you need to lose more weight.

What I would suggest would be re-composition. Aim to eat at maintenance, get adequate protein, and take part in a progressive lifting program. You should be able to gain a small amount of muscle while losing a little fat this way. Just keep in mind that this method takes time. Otherwise, I would suggest bulking (eat at a surplus, while following a progressive lifting program) to build muscle, once you add a fair bit of muscle, cut to lose the rest of the fat.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Do you lift weights? What is your programming like?
  • duddysdad
    Options
    2uleaurs26sb.jpg

I honestly don't know if it's all loose skin. You could grab a handful and it was thick. I've always read that loose skin should feel like pinching the back of your hand.

This is me at 179. Does it look like fat or just loose skin? I see both.
    Side.jpg 141.4K
  • Hornsby
    edited August 2016
    Options
    That's fat.

Eat at a slight deficit (250-500 cals) and lift weights.
  • duddysdad
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    That's fat.

Eat at a slight deficit and lift weights.

That's what I thought. Everyone say's I am crazy for wanting to lose more weight, even though I told them I had fat to lose. I just wanted to lose a bit more then start lifting and building muscle.
  • duddysdad
    Options
    I am not currently at that weight. I gained weight and I am at 230. But when I lose it again, I want to go lower. I want to aim for 170 at least. Do you think 10 pounds would be enough to get rid of it?
  • Hornsby
    Options
    You could do maintenance calories as well and probably get rid of some of that.

Deadlifts, squats, bench, military press, and bent over row - do those.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    duddysdad wrote: »
    I am not currently at that weight. I gained weight and I am at 230. But when I lose it again, I want to go lower. I want to aim for 170 at least. Do you think 10 pounds would be enough to get rid of it?

Are you lifting weights? You haven't answered that.
  • duddysdad
    Options
    You could do maintenance calories as well and probably get rid of some of that.

Deadlifts, squats, bench, military press, and bent over row - do those.

I was doing maintenance for a while, but did not have access to a gym. I have resistance bands, but I've been told they are junk and won't do anything. When I get back to that weight, I really need to do something, because I was not happy with my stomach.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    You need to be doing it now.
  • Chrismadison100
    Chrismadison100 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I would recommend as well lifting some weights. This will change your body composition and may or may not result in additional weight loss.
  • duddysdad
    Options
    You need to be doing it now.

Even at my current weight of 230? How can I lose the fat and work on composition in a deficit?
  • Hornsby
    Options
    By following a progressive lifting plan
  • duddysdad
    Options
    By following a progressive lifting plan

Ok, I am willing to do this. What kind of deficit should I have? I am currently on a 1k deficit, but if it means having a better body at the end, I am willing to lose slower.

• Hornsby
    Options
    250-500.