Options
2»

Replies

• duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    250-500.

Ok, I will do this then. Do you think I could do progressively harder resistance bands until I can access a gym? I paid a lot of money for them and don't want them to go to waste.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    On your original question, yes of course some people look OK underweight based on their body type, and there is a bigger range of healthy when you are taller. I'm like that, nobody bats an eye when I'm under 120 at 5'9", doctor says I look great, etc. That's lean and skinny, if I do light workouts, only cardio stuff, that's how my body ends up. Technically underweight but still enough body fat and muscle to look reasonable. If I find a picture (changed phones) I will put it up.

The picture you posted looks "skinnyfat". Not like you are naturally low in muscle, more like you need to work out. So your weight is low because you do not have muscle mass, you aren't lean and skinny. Your stomach would look smaller and everything else bigger if you do exercise to build muscle. You can be strong and lean without losing your body type - strong and skinny, like a whip. You aren't going to accidentally get all bulked up. I'm MUCH stronger now with the additional 15lb, and proportions are better, and basic body type remains long n lean.

If you don't have weights but do have resistance bands, use them. And do pushups, pullups, running, kicking, jumping jacks, lunges, squats, all the things you can do without weights.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    duddysdad wrote: »
    That's fat.

Eat at a slight deficit and lift weights.

That's what I thought. Everyone say's I am crazy for wanting to lose more weight, even though I told them I had fat to lose. I just wanted to lose a bit more then start lifting and building muscle.

No.... lift now while losing fat, that way you wont lose muscle. eating at a deficit and not lifting will lead to a large % of your loss coming from lean muscle.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Here's the real issue.

You start to have some serious health issues with low body weight, low body fat, and extended periods of low calories. I don't think your body fat is too low, but your overall weight certainly is. As a man, you need to have a certain amount of weight to maintain healthy hormone levels (especially testosterone levels). This can wreck your health long term.

You are in the category of what i'd call "skinny fat" where you're in a healthy or low BMI range with a high amount of body fat.

I cannot stress this enough, you MUST gain some muscle mass. In addition to it being incredibly important for hormonal health, you need to perform resistance exercise for your heart health, your bone health, your bone density, and more. DO NOT PUT THIS OFF.

At this time you're already a very low body weight, i DO NOT recommend you try and lose the additional fat right now. If you were my client or if i were in your shoes our focus would be solely on performing a progressive strength training plan while eating a slight calorie surplus (250-ish+ per day). In maybe a year we could re-evaluate and perform a very small cut in calories.

edit: whoops, i read this as your body weight is currently 170-ish at your height. Either way, my opinion remains the same about the method.
  • duddysdad
    Options
    Ok, I am going to up my calories, do my resistance bands, and bodyweight exercises. When I can access and afford a gym, I am going to start doing weights there. I am going to do it from now on, even when I hit my goal weight again. I want a good looking body and I am willing to put in the effort.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am going to up my calories, do my resistance bands, and bodyweight exercises. When I can access and afford a gym, I am going to start doing weights there. I am going to do it from now on, even when I hit my goal weight again. I want a good looking body and I am willing to put in the effort.

check out the programs "convict conditioning", "you are your own gym", and nerd fitness. These are progressive body weight strength training programs.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    250-500.

Ok, I will do this then. Do you think I could do progressively harder resistance bands until I can access a gym? I paid a lot of money for them and don't want them to go to waste.

You'd be better served getting a gym membership.

• duddysdad
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Here's the real issue.

You start to have some serious health issues with low body weight, low body fat, and extended periods of low calories. I don't think your body fat is too low, but your overall weight certainly is. As a man, you need to have a certain amount of weight to maintain healthy hormone levels (especially testosterone levels). This can wreck your health long term.

You are in the category of what i'd call "skinny fat" where you're in a healthy or low BMI range with a high amount of body fat.

I cannot stress this enough, you MUST gain some muscle mass. In addition to it being incredibly important for hormonal health, you need to perform resistance exercise for your heart health, your bone health, your bone density, and more. DO NOT PUT THIS OFF.

At this time you're already a very low body weight, i DO NOT recommend you try and lose the additional fat right now. If you were my client or if i were in your shoes our focus would be solely on performing a progressive strength training plan while eating a slight calorie surplus (250-ish+ per day). In maybe a year we could re-evaluate and perform a very small cut in calories.

edit: whoops, i read this as your body weight is currently 170-ish at your height. Either way, my opinion remains the same about the method.

I've never been below 179, which is when the picture was taken. I am currently at 230 while dealing with my BED. I agree with everyone about building muscle. I am going to start immediately, and hope that I won't need to go below the 179 weight.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Here's the real issue.

At 170, sure. At 230, a slight deficit is the best way to go about it in my opinion.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Here's the real issue.

At 170, sure. At 230, a slight deficit is the best way to go about it in my opinion.

yes, I misread it. Either way, he shouldn't be waiting, he needs to start training NOW.
  • duddysdad
    Options
    yes, I misread it. Either way, he shouldn't be waiting, he needs to start training NOW.

I agree and will start training. I've been offered a lot of good advice that I didn't know about. I never realized how important muscle was.

• Whitbygramgirl
    Whitbygramgirl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    weights, weights, weights - Various exercises, and you will naturally tone. Do a Plank Challenge every day - start with a low second amount - like 20 or 30 - then build yourself up. Don't forget to have good form and keep your core muscles tight as you are doing it. Congratulations on the weight loss!
  • duddysdad
    Options
    I think this post is done. I've received a lot of good advice, learned a lot of things I had no clue about, and I am motivated to get this done right. I will take everyone's advice and start working on improving my body and health. I realize that my intention to get to 170 or even 165 was unhealthy. I hope I can prove to myself and everyone that I can do this. Perhaps one day I can finally be proud of my accomplishments and show off my new body without being ashamed.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I recommend the two books: Bigger Leaner Stronger, and Starting Strength. They have everything you need to know (what to do, and how to do it, respectively) for probably two years. Then you can move on to other things.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    I recommend the two books: Bigger Leaner Stronger, and Starting Strength. They have everything you need to know (what to do, and how to do it, respectively) for probably two years. Then you can move on to other things.

^ These are both excellent programs. :)
  • Hornsby
    Options

Before the edit....

Touché ;)
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I had something like that so I lost 10 more pounds and it firmed up and went away. No excersize or weight lifting, just time.