Alternate Day Fasting and Exercise

Options
I just started the Alternate Day fasting where you eat between 400-600 calories one day and whatever you want (but make healthier choices of course) on the next day and alternate them. My question is for anyone who has done this or knows someone who has done this diet.

Do you exercise on down days or only up days and what types of exercise seem to work best?

FYI: Also known as Up day down day diet, JUDDD, Alternate day diet, every other day diet, intermittent fasting.

**With all due respect, if you have something negative to say about me doing this diet, save it. I make choices for my own body and know what works and what doesn't. If you have something to recommend, please refrain if it doesn't pertain to my question. Not intending to sound rude at all, so please don't be offended, but I don't want to have to defend myself to complete strangers for my diet choice. Thank you in advance for understanding.**

Replies

• tashygolean730
    tashygolean730 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I work out every day but Sunday. So whether it's down or up I'm doing something. I do cardio three days a week and heavy lifting/strength training the other three. Make sure you are eating up to or slightly over your TDEE on your up days especially if you are working out regularly.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with intermittent fasting. Plenty of people here do it. But, you might want to work out your maintenance calories and use that for your "up" days. As long as your weekly calories amount to at least 8400, you'll be alright.

Working out: you might just want to try for yourself and see how you feel, but you might find it to be brutal on "down" days. Then again, fasted workouts are a thing.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I think you're going to have to do some trial and error. Probably less intense or shorter duration workouts on the down days, but it may also depend if you are working out in the morning or evening. Also going to depend on your current level of fitness. If you are only used to working out 3x a week, I'd just keep them to your up days
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I work out every day but Sunday. So whether it's down or up I'm doing something. I do cardio three days a week and heavy lifting/strength training the other three. Make sure you are eating up to or slightly over your TDEE on your up days especially if you are working out regularly.

This^

Nothing wrong with Alternate Day (if you've got a ways to go) or 5:2 when you get closer to goal. Just make sure your entire deficit is coming from those fast days and not from your "off" days also. Google your TDEE if you don't know it. That's good information.....I eat future TDEE with a couple "lowish" calorie days (not 500)......my form of 5:2.

I work out the 5 days and do yoga or something light on the other 2 days. Here's a link to the 5:2 group

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting
  • pommychic506
    pommychic506 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how you feel. Exercising whilst on a fast day takes my mind off eating and uses up a good chunk of the day but for some people exercising on a fast day is a disaster as it can make you hungry. I would suggest just going with what works for you as we are all different.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I don't do intermittent fasting, but I do find steady cardio to be fine first thing in the morning before I've eaten. I wouldn't recommend any HIIT or heavy strength training on your down days, though. Try a few different things and see how you feel before you make your workout plan.
  • sweetbug0130
    sweetbug0130 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    What website do you get your TDEE from? Sometimes I feel that it's too high.

• sweetbug0130
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with intermittent fasting. Plenty of people here do it. But, you might want to work out your maintenance calories and use that for your "up" days. As long as your weekly calories amount to at least 8400, you'll be alright.

Working out: you might just want to try for yourself and see how you feel, but you might find it to be brutal on "down" days. Then again, fasted workouts are a thing.

That's what I have been worrying about. I don't want to make myself weak for the rest of the day. I have been breaking my calories down to three small meals of 200 calories each which is fine for me but I would be going to the gym on my lunch break so I would have to deal with the rest of the work day... :neutral:
  • sweetbug0130
    Options
    It really depends on how you feel. Exercising whilst on a fast day takes my mind off eating and uses up a good chunk of the day but for some people exercising on a fast day is a disaster as it can make you hungry. I would suggest just going with what works for you as we are all different.

I'm just wanting to do what makes me lose faster-of course-but still be healthy. I worry about the hunger after working out because it makes me ravenous if its a good workout.
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I don't go to quite that extent - would never try to eat 400-600 calories- but I do vary my caloric intake during a given week, and often include ONE big blow-out meal every week or two. My low day/s is sometimes 1000 but not less. For me that works, and is a plateau breaker. But nothing works for everyone.

Play around with it. Your appetite and attitude will let you know if it's okay for YOU, and your scale will tell you if it works.

If not, just stop.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I'm just wanting to do what makes me lose faster-of course-but still be healthy. I worry about the hunger after working out because it makes me ravenous if its a good workout.

The purpose of intermittent fasting is giving people an alternative to dieting 7 days a week. The purpose is making adhering to a diet easier for some people. You should be eating "regularly" on off days.....not dieting.

Intermittent fasting (IF) doesn't make fast weight loss healthy. If you've read those claims, they are just that....claims. I read Michael Mosely's IF book (5:2) and his so-called "evidence" was just anecdotal. Along the lines of......My blood tests before were a,b,c......my blood blood tests after were x,y,z.

Look for weight loss in the range of 1% of your current body weight. Fast weight loss (for your size) puts you more at risk for lean muscle loss. Sure, we will all lose some lean muscle while dieting, but healthy weight loss helps you reduce your body fat %.
  • sweetbug0130
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

The purpose of intermittent fasting is giving people an alternative to dieting 7 days a week. The purpose is making adhering to a diet easier for some people. You should be eating "regularly" on off days.....not dieting.

Intermittent fasting (IF) doesn't make fast weight loss healthy. If you've read those claims, they are just that....claims. I read Michael Mosely's IF book (5:2) and his so-called "evidence" was just anecdotal. Along the lines of......My blood tests before were a,b,c......my blood blood tests after were x,y,z.

Look for weight loss in the range of 1% of your current body weight. Fast weight loss (for your size) puts you more at risk for lean muscle loss. Sure, we will all lose some lean muscle while dieting, but healthy weight loss helps you reduce your body fat %.

I didn't mean fast loss, but faster than a snail in peanut butter like mine seems to be normally. Thanks for the info though.
  • Carriehelene
    Carriehelene Posts: 178 Member
    Options

[/quote]
    I didn't mean fast loss, but faster than a snail in peanut butter like mine seems to be normally. Thanks for the info though.
    [/quote]

Ok, I just gotta say that is the absolute best description of "slow" I've ever read or heard! Made me lmao.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 669 Member
    Options

I think the most accurate website for TDEE is Scooby workshop.
    I went on that site before getting my Fitbit charge HR and Scooby gave me a TDEE of 2150.
    My Fitbit tells me my average TDEE is 2220. So pretty darn close.
    I also do intermittent fasting, but do 16:8 or more realistically 14:10.
    I was never able to adhere to 5:2 or alternate day fasting. I get super cranky at about hour 16 of fasting.
    I like IF for my energy levels. I am much more energetic when I fast for a big portion of the day.
    I've stopped trying to understand the reason or science behind it. It just makes me feel better.

• sweetbug0130
    Options

I think the most accurate website for TDEE is Scooby workshop.
    I went on that site before getting my Fitbit charge HR and Scooby gave me a TDEE of 2150.
    My Fitbit tells me my average TDEE is 2220. So pretty darn close.
    I also do intermittent fasting, but do 16:8 or more realistically 14:10.
    I was never able to adhere to 5:2 or alternate day fasting. I get super cranky at about hour 16 of fasting.
    I like IF for my energy levels. I am much more energetic when I fast for a big portion of the day.
    I've stopped trying to understand the reason or science behind it. It just makes me feel better.

I do 500ish calories on my fast days. I've thought about having it in one meal. I may try that eventually. I'll check out that website. Thank you.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I find I actually have high energy on fasting days. Like my body works well and I don't feel sluggish and heavy. I have no problem working out with heavy weights or long mileage, but when it is time to break fast I know I have to have something planned within my cal goals or it will be a free for all. I get hungry just knowing the meal is coming, funny but I am rarely hungry during the fast.
  • sweetbug0130
    Options
    I find I actually have high energy on fasting days. Like my body works well and I don't feel sluggish and heavy. I have no problem working out with heavy weights or long mileage, but when it is time to break fast I know I have to have something planned within my cal goals or it will be a free for all. I get hungry just knowing the meal is coming, funny but I am rarely hungry during the fast.

Nice info! Thank you! I think on my fast days I'll have a low calorie protein shake with water after my workout and then the remainder of my calories at dinner which is usually about 6pm.