Did green tea help you lose weight?

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    perhaps she is trolling
  • rollerjog
    rollerjog Posts: 154 Member
    lets start off saying im not human lol i never said it was only green tea extract powder it was a combo of suplements and exercise and cant leave out eating right, lol this is what helped me get into the single digits, you guys are to much lol
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Essential body fat for a woman is 8-10%, so it is not at all odd that people would question a claim of 6% body fat in a female. That is very low for a male body builder, and really rare for a woman.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    rollerjog wrote: »
    lets start off saying im not human lol i never said it was only green tea extract powder it was a combo of suplements and exercise and cant leave out eating right, lol this is what helped me get into the single digits, you guys are to much lol
    Okay, if female and 190lbs at 6% body fat, I'm not thinking supplements. Lenda Murray (10 Miss Olympia) comes dialed in at 153lbs...................and is on steroids. Heck a male at 5'10" and 190lbs NATURAL at 6% would be tough. So guessing now you're a male.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• SurfCityBeachGuy
    SurfCityBeachGuy Posts: 50 Member
    Nope... But Green Tea has many Health Benefits !
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    edited August 2016
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Okay, if female and 190lbs at 6% body fat, I'm not thinking supplements. Lenda Murray (10 Miss Olympia) comes dialed in at 153lbs...................and is on steroids. Heck a male at 5'10" and 190lbs NATURAL at 6% would be tough. So guessing now you're a male.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Yeah, I kinda missed this - 190lbs, female and 6% body fat? Are you 7' tall? For 190lbs to be even a "healthy" BMI for a woman, she'd have to be 6'2. For a woman to be carrying that little fat and that much muscle, you're either built like a tank or very, very unusually tall....
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2016
    so what dose science have to say about green tea extract do you have any article on hand i would like to know what they have to say about it

If you are a coffee or cola drinker, the extract won't help. Being used to caffeine diminishes the fat burning effects to near zero. If you have not had any caffeine containing drinks or substances for a long while, there will be a small very temporary fat burning effect that starts diminishing to nearly nothing as soon as you get used to the caffeine (takes a couple of weeks).

In short: waste of money. You would get the same boost or better by just clapping your hands every time you get off the chair, and that won't be temporary either.

Edit: as for articles, not many of the studies I have seen concluded significance (there was a trend towards weight loss but it did not reach significance).

Here is a meta analysis:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21366839

It basically concluded a 0.01 calorie per mg boost, with most doses hovering around 400 mg you are talking about a boost of barely 4 extra calories a day. Save your money and start clapping.
  • rollerjog
    rollerjog Posts: 154 Member
    lol when i set up my account on mfp i never set my profile up what ever it was set at thats what its at i never changed it lol you guys are too much lol
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I'm also guessing that he's not 6% BF at 190 lbs. If he truly is, he should have plenty of photos to share from the bodybuilding contests he's obviously won.

If I was hypothetically 6% BF at 190 lbs., there's no way I'd be giving all the credit to some tea powder with a bunch of magic fairy dust mixed into it. I'd be taking full credit for the many, many hours and years I spent working my butt off in the gym and getting my diet dialed in. Because you don't get to those kind of stats on magic fairy dust.

Right?? I don't get why anyone would want to credit some random supplement with their success rather than be proud of achieving something on their own.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member

Oh my.....I see now, you are pulling a joke on us people who are making you lol. ;) Thank you for the wonderful humor. :D
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    I drink it all the time, even when I am weight gaining and it doesn't slow my progress down.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I'm also guessing that he's not 6% BF at 190 lbs. If he truly is, he should have plenty of photos to share from the bodybuilding contests he's obviously won.

If I was hypothetically 6% BF at 190 lbs., there's no way I'd be giving all the credit to some tea powder with a bunch of magic fairy dust mixed into it. I'd be taking full credit for the many, many hours and years I spent working my butt off in the gym and getting my diet dialed in. Because you don't get to those kind of stats on magic fairy dust.

Right?? I don't get why anyone would want to credit some random supplement with their success rather than be proud of achieving something on their own.

6% at 190 lbs. is a contest-ready bodybuilder, just add spray tan and a banana hammock. Ain't nobody walking around every day with those stats.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    There are no shortcuts or magical substances. Stick to your calorie goals.

This is not true. There are substances that work however they are illegal and potentially detrimental to health.
  • Areaw
    Areaw Posts: 11 Member
    I take the tablets for health benefits, don't really like the taste of it in tea. Don't take them for weight loss though, but they are supposed to have lots of other health benefits
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    Did green tea help you lose weight?

Nope.

I know it doesn't help a person lose weight (unless maybe you drink a couple cups of green tea with no sugar and no milk instead of a couple cups of sugary pop) and I don't particularly like green tea.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    Green tea tastes like dirty grass. Even though i hate the stuff, if there was an inkling of truth to green tea = weight loss, I'd be chugging it down all day long. But alas, green tea is just... tea, nothing more.

Yeah, I've tried to like green tea ... but just ... no.

And I've discovered that there are other, better teas out there. :)
  • monicashehata
    monicashehata Posts: 2 Member
    If you're drinking it as a replacement for a more sugary drink - then yes. Because you'd be substituting the calories.
    :) good luck on your journey!
  • abungay
    abungay Posts: 85 Member
    Green tea does not help you lose weight on its own. But I drink green tea in the night when I start to feel a bit hungry, instead of grabbing a snack which will be loaded with calories. So if you are making choices such as this that is good, but it is the fact that you are not consuming extra calories which is taking the weight off not the tea itself. Also it tastes like wonderful sunshine and happiness which also makes me feel good when I drink it haha.