What is your biggest issue/concern/struggle with weight loss?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• Gibby349
    Gibby349 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I worry about maintaining the weight I have lost . I honestly dont want to log and count calories when I am at maintainance
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    dariacsf wrote: »
    Accepting and living with the (IMO) small number of calories a 5'2 woman can eat and still lose weight. I want more!!! I exercise to get more and make good use of what I get, but it damn sure ain't a lot.

In my opinion, MFP suggestions are a little too low for most people with calories. When I work with my clients, most females stay within the 1500-1600 calorie range to lose weight. As you continue to put on muscle because hopefully you are doing some resistance training, you can increase your calorie burn by 50 calories for every pound of muscle you put on. Which means you can eat more calories!!!!! Winning!

Yeah thats a big misconception that is flowting around the internet. But its nice to motivate people with that wisedom ofcourse. Sadly a pound of muscles doesnt increase calorie burn by 50. A pound of muscles increase your burn by 6-10 kcal. And if you want to be good also relize that a pound of fat increase your burn by 2-4 kcal

Yes, I actually did read that it's not a big increase in calorie burning. And yeah fat burns calories too. As I said, being shorter, I'm just not willing to be more active than I already am. So, I have to live with it. It's okay because I love the foods that I eat, and I am a volume eater. I eat large quantities of veggies and I drink tons of water. Makes me very full and satisfied. However, a big bag of chocolate candy every now and again would be nice. Like old times. :)
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    eating enough to maintain weight during summer months is very difficult for me then not going over board during winter months. Mass Hysteria
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    My biggest struggle is my sweet tooth. I cannot eat one biscuit, once I start I want the whole pack. So I'm going tee total. Again. Until the next time.
  • msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »
    My biggest issue is how my hormones affect my appetite. It's pretty unpredictable... I can't keep the same routine if I'm stressed, around my ovulation or around my period. I hate it when something that always works for me stops working temporarily and forces me to change my strategies.

Totally agree. The only times that I overate are hormonal related. It's crazy.

2 out of 4 weeks I feel normal. Hardly seems fair doesn't it.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Either she's being funny on almost every single response, or scientific knowledge doesn't mean what she thinks it means.

Yeah could be a hoax but I've enjoyed reading the other posts.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    xvolution wrote: »
    I am very prone to gaining water weight [I have bouts of severe edema that are thankfully under control most of the time] so it's easy for me to rack up on water weight, even if I'm doing everything else right. It gets really bad after lift days [where I can gain up to 3 pounds].

I don't let it get me down too much though, as I'm still losing inches off my waist, so whenever I do gain weight I know it's either muscle or water.

@xvolution do you have any idea what causes the edema? i have the same issue, sometimes it lasts for weeks (although i don't monitor my sodium very well) but i've had everything from blood tests to MRIs and ultrasounds to figure it out and nobody can. it mostly shows up in my left ankle and i can't tell if when i retain water it just pools there or if there's another reason. diuretics don't help it either.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    My love of good food and good wine.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    xvolution wrote: »
    I am very prone to gaining water weight [I have bouts of severe edema that are thankfully under control most of the time] so it's easy for me to rack up on water weight, even if I'm doing everything else right. It gets really bad after lift days [where I can gain up to 3 pounds].

I don't let it get me down too much though, as I'm still losing inches off my waist, so whenever I do gain weight I know it's either muscle or water.

@xvolution do you have any idea what causes the edema? i have the same issue, sometimes it lasts for weeks (although i don't monitor my sodium very well) but i've had everything from blood tests to MRIs and ultrasounds to figure it out and nobody can. it mostly shows up in my left ankle and i can't tell if when i retain water it just pools there or if there's another reason. diuretics don't help it either.

For me it was partially due to kidney disease [at Stage 3 atm] and high blood pressure. In your case though it's most likely poor circulation in the legs [the water can't escape the legs after being pumped there and gets stored instead]. If that's the cause, then a good pair of compression socks/sleeves should help a lot. They provide firm pressure along your feet and calves, improving blood circulation and keeping water from building up.

I have a pair of Verto Compression Sleeves [rating 25mmHg, which measures how much compression per square inch the socks/sleeves give] that I use, and after a week of wearing them a lot of edema that was still in the legs finally drained out. Compression sleeves/socks go to a max compression rating of 40, but those are for people with extreme bouts of edema, helping keep the leg in the proper shape after surgery, etc. For minor edema you'd need a rating between 20mmHg-30mmHg.