Brits have bad teeth

Options

Replies

• selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    selina884 wrote: »
    Also just to add it's all Europeans in general, not just the Brits. Arguably the French have even worse teeth...

Ahh, this is new to me.

I thought it specifically applied to Brits.

It is but I'm saying that's unfair because French teeth are even worse but they just get stereotyped as eating a lot of garlic!

No thats Italians.

French are stereotyped for never shaving, drinking wine and eating snails and raw meat.

Yes and they call us 'les rosbifs' because that's all we eat and we lie in the sun until we're as red as rare beef. This is a slippery slope to be honest...

LOL! Les rosbifs. That's actually quite funny.

Ever seen the Catherine Tate Show? Her clip on expressions from different countries will have you laughing relentlessly.
  • selina884
    Options
    Also just to add it's all Europeans in general, not just the Brits. Arguably the French have even worse teeth...

Ahh, this is new to me.

It is but I'm saying that's unfair because French teeth are even worse but they just get stereotyped as eating a lot of garlic!

No thats Italians.

French are stereotyped for never shaving, drinking wine and eating snails and raw meat.

That made me laugh outloud!

I love a good stereotype lol

• selina884
    Options
    Last holiday we had in the US I was impressed by the American smiles: There were lots of very straight, white teeth around.

I think in part is is because of spending more money on dentistry and that, compared to Brits, The Yanks are more tanned and the contrast highlights their teeth more.

I don't think that it is due to the British not looking after their teeth as well (as in not flossing, brushing etc), in fact that the high quality of my daughter's teeth (due to good brushing) went against her when trying to get braces:
    • The orthodontist decided that she didn't qualify for braces because her crooked teeth were not causing hygiene problems.
    • Our dentist said that she had a lack of hygiene problems because she regularly brushed and flossed!

Yes, too much brushing also seems to be a problem.

I'd like to know what the common toothpaste in America is? Does it contain Fluoride and SLS?
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    Last holiday we had in the US I was impressed by the American smiles: There were lots of very straight, white teeth around.

I think in part is is because of spending more money on dentistry and that, compared to Brits, The Yanks are more tanned and the contrast highlights their teeth more.

I don't think that it is due to the British not looking after their teeth as well (as in not flossing, brushing etc), in fact that the high quality of my daughter's teeth (due to good brushing) went against her when trying to get braces:
    • The orthodontist decided that she didn't qualify for braces because her crooked teeth were not causing hygiene problems.
    • Our dentist said that she had a lack of hygiene problems because she regularly brushed and flossed!

I'd like to know what the common toothpaste in America is? Does it contain Fluoride and SLS?

Colgate or Total. Yes to the fluoride, even tap water has fluoride in it. I don't care so much about whitening, but I had braces as a kid, wisdom tooth extraction and as of recently, 4 cavities. I need to floss more often -_- honestly the best thing that helped me as a kid was my parents having dental sealants put on our teeth.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options

Ahh, this is new to me.

No thats Italians.

Yes and they call us 'les rosbifs' because that's all we eat and we lie in the sun until we're as red as rare beef. This is a slippery slope to be honest...

LOL! Les rosbifs. That's actually quite funny.

Ever seen the Catherine Tate Show? Her clip on expressions from different countries will have you laughing relentlessly.

I love me some Catherine Tate. Especially the foul mouthed Granny!
  • selina884
    Options
    The Indian and Asian guys have it the worst.

Bad body odour. Small penises. Funny accents. Shabby dressers. Cheapskates. Don't tip waitstaff well. Very hairy.

Every race has a stereotype. That is what America is all about. Beat the stereotype or be the victim. Simple!

lol

Indians are also Asians but I know what you mean.

Anyhow - Desi and oriental stereotypes are very distinct.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I've got horrid wonky teeth but I saud no to braces when I was younger, I wish I had had them done because it was free back then
  • selina884
    Options

Bad body odour. Small penises. Funny accents. Shabby dressers. Cheapskates. Don't tip waitstaff well. Very hairy.

Every race has a stereotype. That is what America is all about. Beat the stereotype or be the victim. Simple!

haha WOW! Pretty broad accusation! I feel like you have this vendetta towards any clique or group that may have bullied you as a child. And you make these comments in a passive aggressive manner in hopes that it could pass as a bad joke. Speaking of bad jokes. The self deprecation to attract compliments is over played and not working...

Only a select group in the United States care about where you're from or what you're doing here. The majority loves the many cultures that we have here! Keeping up on our appearances has nothing to do with any other culture or country out there. It has everything to do with how we feel. And let's not try to point blame on the cause. Perhaps we're all a bit vain. We are on this website together, right?

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to take this whitening tray out of my mouth and head over to the gym to hit the tanning beds before I go get laser hair removal on my chest and back...

LOL - you must be a Guido in training. (what we see on TV)
  • benmullins4
    benmullins4 Posts: 678 Member
    Options

lol

Indians are also Asians but I know what you mean.

Anyhow - Desi and oriental stereotypes are very distinct.
    People have corrected me quite vehemently:
    "No, you aren't Asian, you are Indian"

That tells you a lot about the education system in many schools in the US ;) Geography is not even a subject. History almost never covers many major civilizations of the world.

There you go again!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options

There is no common toothpaste, but some of the big brands are Crest and Colgate. All of them have fluoride and the majority are Dentist Association Certified. But here's the thing, they put fluoride in the drinking water. So that's a big reason people have healthy teeth here. Also, we have to pay for our dentists and usually go every 6 months for a cleaning. Alot of health insurance polices help with this.
  • benmullins4
    Options

haha WOW! Pretty broad accusation! I feel like you have this vendetta towards any clique or group that may have bullied you as a child. And you make these comments in a passive aggressive manner in hopes that it could pass as a bad joke. Speaking of bad jokes. The self deprecation to attract compliments is over played and not working...

Only a select group in the United States care about where you're from or what you're doing here. The majority loves the many cultures that we have here! Keeping up on our appearances has nothing to do with any other culture or country out there. It has everything to do with how we feel. And let's not try to point blame on the cause. Perhaps we're all a bit vain. We are on this website together, right?

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to take this whitening tray out of my mouth and head over to the gym to hit the tanning beds before I go get laser hair removal on my chest and back...

LOL - you must be a Guido in training. (what we see on TV)

HAHAHA!!! Not at all. I just wanted to say I was hitting on as many stereotypes as I possibly could. I'm not at all that vain and would never do any of that stuff!

This isn't Jersey Shore :smiley:
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    FYI, I've never heard the bad teeth stereotype apply to anyone other then brits. The american stereotype for french people are they are rude and smell bad, but also their cooking is the best in the world.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

There is no common toothpaste, but some of the big brands are Crest and Colgate. All of them have fluoride and the majority are Dentist Association Certified. But here's the thing, they put fluoride in the drinking water. So that's a big reason people have healthy teeth here. Also, we have to pay for our dentists and usually go every 6 months for a cleaning. Alot of health insurance polices help with this.

They put fluoride in the water in Britain too. Have for a long time. And we use the same brands of toothpaste.
  • refuseresist
    Options
    "I’m half French half English and I’ve got qualities of both, French and English which is good, so … I am crap in bed but at least I’ve got bad breath.”

Ricky Gervais
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    "I’m half French half English and I’ve got qualities of both, French and English which is good, so … I am crap in bed but at least I’ve got bad breath.”

Ricky Gervais

Haha (he has horrible teeth too, much as I love him...)
  • Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I'm British and have nice white teeth! Every country has some type of stereotype
  • refuseresist
    Options

Ricky Gervais

Haha (he has horrible teeth too, much as I love him...)

They are not too bad. Most people have worse teeth, he's just got fangs
  • benmullins4
    Options
    Ben, did you live a sheltered life in some Jesus town?! :p

Alright I kid, I kid. Don't attack me, bud. I am merely stating the obvious stereotypes that exist.

On the contrary, I've lived all over the world. I'm wondering if you're now relating religion to a certain stereotype as well...