Options

Replies

• Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    selina884 wrote: »
    cee134 wrote: »
    Last holiday we had in the US I was impressed by the American smiles: There were lots of very straight, white teeth around.

I think in part is is because of spending more money on dentistry and that, compared to Brits, The Yanks are more tanned and the contrast highlights their teeth more.

I don't think that it is due to the British not looking after their teeth as well (as in not flossing, brushing etc), in fact that the high quality of my daughter's teeth (due to good brushing) went against her when trying to get braces:
    • The orthodontist decided that she didn't qualify for braces because her crooked teeth were not causing hygiene problems.
    • Our dentist said that she had a lack of hygiene problems because she regularly brushed and flossed!

Yes, too much brushing also seems to be a problem.

I'd like to know what the common toothpaste in America is? Does it contain Fluoride and SLS?

There is no common toothpaste, but some of the big brands are Crest and Colgate. All of them have fluoride and the majority are Dentist Association Certified. But here's the thing, they put fluoride in the drinking water. So that's a big reason people have healthy teeth here. Also, we have to pay for our dentists and usually go every 6 months for a cleaning. Alot of health insurance polices help with this.

Yep Crest and Colgate are big brands here too.
    We have Fluoride amongst other chemicals in our water too.

Actually most Americans are pretty terrible at this. They assume something that is pretty much standard in Western countries (like Flouride in the water) is uniquely American. And they seem not to realize that those countries also enjoy many benefits they don't get (maternity leave, free health care etc). I guess living in a bubble has advantages and disadvantages?

Let's be clear here. We know of those benefits because everyone wants what they can't have. HOWEVER, though we pay for our health care, look at what it gets us. We don't have to fight the system to get braces for ourselves or children. We can go just about anywhere to receive medical attention. Fluoride in water is a pretty standard procedure given it's a natural mineral already present in water any way.

The whole pounding our chests in competition for who has the best to offer is a terrible display.

Who is pounding their chests? I am saying that a lot of Americans I know seem to assume that the benefits they get are uniquely American. It is a uniquely insular cpuntry
    Last holiday we had in the US I was impressed by the American smiles: There were lots of very straight, white teeth around.

I think in part is is because of spending more money on dentistry and that, compared to Brits, The Yanks are more tanned and the contrast highlights their teeth more.

I don't think that it is due to the British not looking after their teeth as well (as in not flossing, brushing etc), in fact that the high quality of my daughter's teeth (due to good brushing) went against her when trying to get braces:
    • The orthodontist decided that she didn't qualify for braces because her crooked teeth were not causing hygiene problems.
    • Our dentist said that she had a lack of hygiene problems because she regularly brushed and flossed!

I'd like to know what the common toothpaste in America is? Does it contain Fluoride and SLS?

There is no common toothpaste, but some of the big brands are Crest and Colgate. All of them have fluoride and the majority are Dentist Association Certified. But here's the thing, they put fluoride in the drinking water. So that's a big reason people have healthy teeth here. Also, we have to pay for our dentists and usually go every 6 months for a cleaning. Alot of health insurance polices help with this.

Actually most Americans are pretty terrible at this. They assume something that is pretty much standard in Western countries (like Flouride in the water) is uniquely American. And they seem not to realize that those countries also enjoy many benefits they don't get (maternity leave, free health care etc). I guess living in a bubble has advantages and disadvantages?

Let's be clear here. We know of those benefits because everyone wants what they can't have. HOWEVER, though we pay for our health care, look at what it gets us. We don't have to fight the system to get braces for ourselves or children. We can go just about anywhere to receive medical attention. Fluoride in water is a pretty standard procedure given it's a natural mineral already present in water any way.

The whole pounding our chests in competition for who has the best to offer is a terrible display.

Who is pounding their chests? I am saying that a lot of Americans I know seem to assume that the benefits they get are uniquely American. It is a uniquely insular cpuntry

The pounding chests isn't referring to this thread. It's referring to just every day life. Someone made a great point that here in the US, we're feed what the government wants us to see. Most of our news channels are driven by an agenda. 9 times out of 10, it's driving home why we might be better than some other country.

And our geography classes in as well as world history teach us quite a bit about the world. BUT, the retention of many is just sad!
    Is London in Paris?! I mean come on! Everyone knows Paris is in Italy and Italy is in Rome!

That's what I said. Plus if London was in Paris then all Brits would have BO (although at least we'd be better in bed!)
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Paris is in Texas isn't it?
  • benmullins4
    benmullins4 Posts: 678 Member
    Options

Yup
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    It's more like Americans are obsessed with our teeth. We spend a lot on braces because crooked teeth terrify many of us.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options

Im starting to think this isnt their fault.

Media, corporations and governments have turned it into one big bubble whereby the nation is only aware of whats going on around them and have almost no awareness of the rest of the world.
    It doesnt help they are not free to have independent thought and they are finely tuned to be patriotic irrespective of how criminal and crook like their leaders are.
    Sheeples.

Have you seen the thread where a girl is asking about why Americans have an alarmingly high obesity rate and why they are obsessed with processed food as opposed to healthy nutritious food? Something along those lines but she also explained her knowledge isnt thorough and she wants people to educate her as opposed to reading stereotypes. Well if you saw the reaction and how everyone started attacking in defense and denying the actual problem - it just validates our beliefs further.

To be fair, there's not alot of countries around the USA. By that I mean, I can't drive for a couple hours and be in another country or two. (unless I lived close to the boarder)

Yes are media is controlled by corporations, who want ratings, and censored by the government. This is why I like talking to people from other countries.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options

Im starting to think this isnt their fault.

Media, corporations and governments have turned it into one big bubble whereby the nation is only aware of whats going on around them and have almost no awareness of the rest of the world.
    It doesnt help they are not free to have independent thought and they are finely tuned to be patriotic irrespective of how criminal and crook like their leaders are.
    Sheeples.

Have you seen the thread where a girl is asking about why Americans have an alarmingly high obesity rate and why they are obsessed with processed food as opposed to healthy nutritious food? Something along those lines but she also explained her knowledge isnt thorough and she wants people to educate her as opposed to reading stereotypes. Well if you saw the reaction and how everyone started attacking in defense and denying the actual problem - it just validates our beliefs further.

To be fair, there's not alot of countries around the USA. By that I mean, I can't drive for a couple hours and be in another country or two. (unless I lived close to the boarder)

Yes are media is controlled by corporations, who want ratings, and censored by the government. This is why I like talking to people from other countries.

which is what I like to do too and it's nice to be educated and given a reality dose without having to rely on heavy stereotypes.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I'm British and have nice white teeth! Every country has some type of stereotype

America doesn't ;)

Haha, are you sure about that?

Or are you trying to open a can of worms...

No, but I had to make the joke.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options

Yup

And the Eiffel Tower is in Vegas....and Disney World.

This thread is hysterical. Also, my teeth are white, but I'm not tan (because I'm a redhead - and my lineage is actually Brittish). I had braces as an adult, but both of my children have had or have them. My daughter's came off just as she started 6th grade (so she was 11). My son had them in 3rd grade and has them again now - severely messed up teeth, that boy has. I'm not sad about it. I wish I had them as a kid, would've saved me some good-old-fashioned American teasing that scarred me for life. It's NEVER awesome when your crush points out your bad teeth on a bus full of kids. Tragic.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    The Indian and Asian guys have it the worst.

Bad body odour. Small penises. Funny accents. Shabby dressers. Cheapskates. Don't tip waitstaff well. Very hairy.

Every race has a stereotype. That is what America is all about. Beat the stereotype or be the victim. Simple!

lol

Indians are also Asians but I know what you mean.

Anyhow - Desi and oriental stereotypes are very distinct.
    People have corrected me quite vehemently:
    "No, you aren't Asian, you are Indian"

That tells you a lot about the education system in many schools in the US ;) Geography is not even a subject. History almost never covers many major civilizations of the world.

Geography is a subject in the US, and major civilizations are covered. The "you aren't Asian, you are Indian" is likely due to how forms for demographic data were written in the US for a long time. Much of it was written as what I can only describe as "you racially looked like", which means that we would see "Asian/Pacific Islander" as an all-encompassing category for Chinese, Japanese, Filipino, Korean, Vietnamese, Hmong, Thai, etc.

India, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, etc would all get lumped under "Indian/Middle Eastern," White/Caucasian was one category for anyone of European descent, then we had Black (no separation to indicate African/Carribbean/etc origins), Hispanic, with no designations for Mexico, Spain, Puerto Rico, Central America, South America. And there would be a category for American Indian (that's how it was worded)/Alaskan Native.

This obviously created a number of issues as it lumped vastly different cultures together and created a lot of confusion. Native Hawaiians don't fit as Pacific Islanders, but they aren't Alaskan Natives or American Indians, nor are they White/Caucasian. "Hispanics" from Spain were expected to be lumped in as White/Caucasian because Europe=White (yeah, don't ask), as was all of the USSR despite it's geographic location of stretching all the way across Asia.

In short, it was a mess, and they have made efforts to change the forms to reflect differences in culture and geography. But since a lot of people grew up with that, their minds snap to those categories without much thought about the goofy reasoning behind it.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    It's probably from drinking warm beer.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I wonder if this stereotype came from way back when North America was colonized. The locals often ate wild strawberries, which have natural fluoride, keeping their teeth whiter and healthier. I heard they were shocked by how bad the immigrants' teeth were. Strawberries weren't a natural/wild crop where they came from. Plus they often arrived after very long voyages at sea when fresh fruit wasn't readily available and hygiene in general wasn't overly popular (though perfume was).

Not sure how true it is, but thought I'd throw it out there!

But I probably can only name two people who DIDN'T have braces in my life (in Canada). One of them looks like they need them, the other was genetically blessed with perfect teeth that were straight, white, didn't need the wisdom teeth removed, and never got a cavity even though they were only brushed once a day and never flossed (that person is my brother and I'm a little jealous haha - it could have been me!).
  • benmullins4
    benmullins4 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I wonder if this stereotype came from way back when North America was colonized. The locals often ate wild strawberries, which have natural fluoride, keeping their teeth whiter and healthier. I heard they were shocked by how bad the immigrants' teeth were. Strawberries weren't a natural/wild crop where they came from. Plus they often arrived after very long voyages at sea when fresh fruit wasn't readily available and hygiene in general wasn't overly popular (though perfume was).

Not sure how true it is, but thought I'd throw it out there!

But I probably can only name two people who DIDN'T have braces in my life (in Canada). One of them looks like they need them, the other was genetically blessed with perfect teeth that were straight, white, didn't need the wisdom teeth removed, and never got a cavity even though they were only brushed once a day and never flossed (that person is my brother and I'm a little jealous haha - it could have been me!).

I'm the guy that never had braces (perfectly straight teeth), never had a cavity and never had wisdom teeth. I'm pretty sure that the damage that wisdom teeth due as far as over crowding, leads to the braces and cavities. Also eating like shyt and not taking care of your chompers would do that...
  • Bucknutz247
    Bucknutz247 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Austin powers baaby
  • rubyrubz81
    rubyrubz81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My teeth are not bad lol
  • Tsartele
    Tsartele Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Im genuinely curious to know where this stereotype came from?

My teeth are great!

l5p8v7s4y1xa.jpg

Here basically
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    What is the wait time to get a dentist to see you for just a regular check up in England?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Also just to add it's all Europeans in general, not just the Brits. Arguably the French have even worse teeth...

Ahh, this is new to me.

I thought it specifically applied to Brits.

It is but I'm saying that's unfair because French teeth are even worse but they just get stereotyped as eating a lot of garlic!

No thats Italians.

French are stereotyped for never shaving, drinking wine and eating snails and raw meat.

And this is why Americans love the French. Well, that and cheese.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    The Indian and Asian guys have it the worst.

Bad body odour. Small penises. Funny accents. Shabby dressers. Cheapskates. Don't tip waitstaff well. Very hairy.

Every race has a stereotype. That is what America is all about. Beat the stereotype or be the victim. Simple!

I like how this post was flagged even though the poster explicitly said these were stereotypes he was addressing.

That said, the Japanese dress very well and are absolutely not cheap, oh and great haircuts. The tipping thing comes from the fact that tipping is simply not done in Japan or, for that matter, many other countries. Caucasian guys are definitely hairier than Asians. That was one of the other stereotypes that I saw, but hey I'm hairy, so I guess it's an accurate one (at least for me). I'm not touching that second one up there though.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    Tsartele wrote: »
    Im genuinely curious to know where this stereotype came from?

My teeth are great!

l5p8v7s4y1xa.jpg

Here basically

They definitely played on the stereotype but that was the humor of it. The stereotype already existed. My British colleagues over the years have all had great teeth. I think there is not only a cultural component to teeth, but a class issue as well. I've heard people get pretty obnoxious about teeth, not realizing that not everyone around them grew up wealthy.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    What is the wait time to get a dentist to see you for just a regular check up in England?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

They tend to contact us when check ups are due and we can find an acceptable family slot within a couple of weeks window. Check ups are free for kids, pregnant women, and the unemployed, but others pay a contribution (about £30 I think). At out dentists check ups usually include any dental hygienist work, like polishing etc.

The problem that many have with dentistry is getting a NHS dentist in the first place and lots of people end up going private because they just can't get an NHS place.