Eating out

Options
2»

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    louise5779 wrote: »
    I think we all understand you can still eat out and lose weight I think was the OP is saying is how under realistic most menus are. For example in the past I would going out and have a starter, main and pudding. But when you follow a calories restricted diet not even restricted but eaten to a maintence level I found that most main meals contained more then my daily allowance let alone having a drink or starter and pudding. You can't follow the pattern of normal eaten out.

I often have a drink and an appetizer when eating out. I don't usually get dessert but I rarely did that before. If you plan ahead you can do it. I lost 60 pounds and am now in maintenance and I eat out regularly.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I eat out weekly butt have the most success when i stick to a grilled meat, green veg and a salad.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Not often, but that's not a weight loss thing, I never ate out that often before I started losing weight. When I do I bank calories in advance so I don't have to worry overmuch.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Usually lunch and dinner on weekends. I stick to salads with dressing on the side topped with salmon or chicken. Avoid sauces, breading or anything fried.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    It depends how busy I am and what I have going on socially. Some weeks I don't eat out at all and other weeks I'll eat out 6-7 nights per week. I pretty much eat in local restaurants exclusively. Eating out has never really affected my weight.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    cnjg420 wrote: »
    How do you know how many calories are in restaurants food and is it accurate

Chain restaurants often have entries in the database, accuracy may not be 100% but it is directionally correct. When eating at a restaurant without published counts I look for similar meals (lobster risotto or sweet n sour chicken) in the database from another restaurant or from a website that I can check calorie counts. Always overestimate cals from restaurants since there is often extra butter or oil compared to what you might cook at home.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    cnjg420 wrote: »
    How do you know how many calories are in restaurants food and is it accurate

Chain restaurants often have nutrition on their website, but keep in mind that they typically don't weigh every single ingredient so it's probably not completely accurate.