(another) great calorie & carbohydrate discussion...

13»

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,996 Member
    edited August 2016
    No low carbs here.

I'm 5'8"and currently weigh 173#. Lost weight from 196 to 173 on 1600-1800 net cals/day over 3 months and have maintained weight at 170-175 on 2000-2200 net cals/day over the past 2 months using a macro that varies between 33/33/33 and 40/40/20 (protein/carb/fat) each day.

That's a min of 165-200 gms (or about 1-1.25 grams/lb each) of carbs and protein every day which I'm now trying to use to recomp by converting existing fat into LBM (and muscle) via heavy lifting (free weights) and cardio (mainly erg rowing).
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    You don't convert fat to lean body mass as an FYI.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    "We" don't think any one way about carbs. MFP is not a hive mind. There are those here who prefer low carb, those who use it to manage a deficit or medical condition, and plenty who don't like it. If you're looking for a consensus on these boards, it's not going to happen in a carbs thread!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    fishshark wrote: »
    alexpn wrote: »
    There shouldn't be any debate, just do want works for you.

Low carb high fat works for some, others find calorie counting works best for them, some others use other methods.

How far well under 2000cals are you eating? Are you measuring everything that passes your lips?

I'm trying to currently stay around 1500-1700 calories a day, and yes, obviously recording my food on here... but even though I am gradually reducing these figures over time, my weight is resisting change.

Hmm...I'm only 5'2, and I eat between 1600-1900 a day...and I'm still dropping just under a pound a week! You must be starving!

im 5'2 and even with 10k steps a day and working out losing .5 a week my hr monitored fitbit only allows me 14-16 if im lucky :(:(:(

Same here at 5'4". 10-12k steps per day. 1500 is my sweet spot for losing .5lbs per week :(

OP, I haven't read the thread in depth but as to your original post-I like lowish carbs. I know I can lose weight without it, but it is harder because I tend to hold on to water more with higher carbs, AND I eat high sodium. It's just a pain to try to lose when I'm always bloated. I also think my physique looks a bit leaner when I'm not over loaded on carbs. I also just have a bad physical reaction to high carb intake.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,996 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »

Not directly, of course, but much easier to say than: "I am attempting to recomp by maintaining my current weight by reducing my %BF and offsetting the loss in weight attributable to the loss of BF by increasing my LBM (and hopefully some muscle) in an equal amount by means of heavy lifting and cardio."
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »

Not directly, of course, but much easier to say than: "I am attempting to recomp by maintaining my current weight by reducing my %BF and offsetting the loss in weight attributable to the loss of BF by increasing my LBM (and hopefully some muscle) in an equal amount by means of heavy lifting and cardio."

Yes, saying "convert fat into muscle" and your long description are the only two options...

Anyway, you already said it just by saying "recomp" in the first place... It does have a definition after all.