totalsham Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    go jogging or running more.

and ice cold water is the best tasting thing ever
  • shed50kg
    shed50kg Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the tips.

I have managed to drink a litre of water and 2 cups of coffee so far today. Will try and get another 250ml down me before bed time. I am going to start adding fresh lime juice to my water see if that helps too.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Get a big cup, fill it with water, keep it with you all the time, and drink every time you remember. It's easy.
  • teerae326
    teerae326 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Get one of these.

EC94BFE4.jpg

You'll find yourself absently drinking throughout the day. Just make sure you refill it regularly and you should have no problem getting your 64 oz per day.

This! I wanted to drink more water (I never ever did) so I was told to buy a cup that I loved so I would be more likely to use it. It's a 24 oz cup with a straw and in one day, I went from drinking 0-1 cups on average to drinking 4 whole cup-fulls! That's 96 oz of water! And I also find I prefer my water closer to room temperature, so I don't add extra ice to mine. Made all the difference in the world for me.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I agree with the flavored fizzy waters...I LOVE the lime flavored ones that I get at WalMart. Tastes like a Diet Sierra Mist or Siet 7-Up, but its just carbonated water with flavoring in it, and 0 calories per serving.

(I had to go look it up, the brand is Clear American Sparkling Water)
  • AnaCoffee
    AnaCoffee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I hate water too and have always struggled to get even half of what I should. I make really weak iced tea by brewing 1 decaf black tea bag & 1 decaf green tea bag in 2 cups of water, then mixing in 1/8 cup (or so) of honey (though I'm currently using up a can of golden syrup,) and then mixing that into a 2 quart drink container of water. I then fill up liter and half liter water bottles and keep them in the fridge. I know that I have to drink so many per day. Most times I do.

The tea also acts as an "automatic flusher" if you will. I've learned that I can't drink it during a workout or I'll have to stop for a bathroom break. :laugh: So during workouts I'll actually drink chilled water. :drinker:
  • lisamoultrie
    Options
    Yip - I had the same problem.
    I drink sparkling water -- ice cold - that helps me drink more. I always struggled to get 1l - now most days I'm up to 5l or 6l a day. In fact, the more I drink the more weight I lose .... and I'm also on a low-carb eating plan which helps!
    Just remember, every cup of tea adds to your water count, every cup of coffee, takes one away -- so be wary of coffee ... as nice as it is :)
    Good luck!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    This. Please do read it.
    he 8 x 8 guideline may have originated from a misunderstanding. In 1945
    If you're thirsty, drink something.
    It doesn't have to be pure water.

If it has calories, log the calories.

Caffeine is a diuretic technically I believe - but by the biggest diuretic in coffee is... water!

Note that eating moist food will also provide you with water.

I have seen no scientific evidence at all that we should be worrying about how much water we drink beyond "if you're thirsty, have a drink".
  • smileygove
    smileygove Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    STRAWS! They should be your best friend. They help it go down so much easier. I also have a stainless steel straw which makes it much cooler too!

You can do it!
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I have a big 1.5 litre of bottle on my desk..........Drink constantly throughout the day, then I top it up and drink another 1.5 litres... So 3 a day!!

I am sure if you tried with one bottle........Your soon manage two!!

Cut up some fresh lemon/lime and put it in your water, gives a bit of flavour.. Iced cold is nice .... : )

Happy drinking.........and lots of pee pee's like me >>> : )
  • jxspxr
    jxspxr Posts: 150
    Options
    Drinking water is like a ritual for me; it has more meaning then just 'making sure that I drink enough' - the end is important indeed, but the act itself I've come to appreciate too. Going to the tap and drinking a big glass of water a couple of times per day is a moment of rest, I can let go of my thoughts, my work, take a small walk to stretch my muscles, open the tap and just taste the water.

I always cary a large glass with me in my bag (and a cup for coffee) - without the glass, I would drink less water, so having my own glass with me makes the experience better and keeps me motivated.

Focussing on making ritual - making habits and actions meaningful instead of just focussing on the end - has helped me in many areas of my life. I am not talking about mindfulness here, it might be similar (I don't know much about it) - too me it's just become common sense that it's better to find ways to do things so that you enjoy them, thus keeping you motivated, then trying to do things not caring about how you feel about them.

I hope that helps.
  • terranussbaum
    Options
    This was all extremely helpful. I have the hardest time drinking water. By nature I barely drink any liquid throughout the day. Ive always been this way, even as a kid. But when it comes to forcing myself to drink water, its not the taste, its the lack of taste that gets me. I've tried the flavorings and honestly, they just make the experience worse. I have realized that the water has to be freezing cold and its not as bad. I downloaded the app someone mentioned and I'm going to get one of these plastic glasses with the straw and see if it helps! Thanks everyone for the awesome advice. This is my biggest struggle with losing weight!
  • AnaCoffee
    AnaCoffee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    This. Please do read it.
    he 8 x 8 guideline may have originated from a misunderstanding. In 1945
    If you're thirsty, drink something.
    It doesn't have to be pure water.

If it has calories, log the calories.

Caffeine is a diuretic technically I believe - but by the biggest diuretic in coffee is... water!

Note that eating moist food will also provide you with water.

I have seen no scientific evidence at all that we should be worrying about how much water we drink beyond "if you're thirsty, have a drink".
    Thanks for the article link. It was great! :flowerforyou:
  • msladydove
    msladydove Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am so glad that you have asked this question because I struggle with drinking water too. I think that for me is because I dont like the taste of it very much. It does taste a little better when cold though.