paleo diet

Options
13»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    No, they are supposed to be bad, because of "toxic anti-nutrients like lectin and phytic acid."

Here's Chris Kresser arguing against the paleo dogma saying they are bad and trying to redefine the diet: https://chriskresser.com/are-legumes-paleo/

Here's Loren Cordain (one of the main people responsible for the paleo diet and it's popularity) arguing against legumes: http://thepaleodiet.com/beans-and-legumes-are-they-paleo/

Note: I am not agreeing with this position, obviously -- I think legumes are healthy. But since the question came up.
  • Pattycake755
    Pattycake755 Posts: 59 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I think that legumes are not included in the paleo because "cavemen" did not cook beans, maybe??? Not because they are bad. Please don't ask for references; I am just making a possible supposition. There is some "good" in every diet that includes "real" foods.

Thanks for the info on Paleo dogma, but legumes were supposedly "not eaten by cavemen" is one of the reason legumes are not in the Paleo diet. Plus there are different forms of the diet. Some people include beans. Some forms of the diet exclude some fruit, and I think all fruit is healthy.

This directly contradicts Paleo dogma on legumes, which holds that we should strictly avoid them because 1) they aren’t part of our ancestral diet, and 2) they contain toxic anti-nutrients like lectin and phytic acid.

https://chriskresser.com/are-legumes-paleo/

Although, I was just making a supposition and was not really asking a question, this part of my statement was true. I still think there is some good in every diet, including Paleo.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I think that legumes are not included in the paleo because "cavemen" did not cook beans, maybe??? Not because they are bad. Please don't ask for references; I am just making a possible supposition. There is some "good" in every diet that includes "real" foods.

Thanks for the info on Paleo dogma, but legumes were supposedly "not eaten by cavemen" is one of the reason legumes are not in the Paleo diet. Plus there are different forms of the diet. Some people include beans. Some forms of the diet exclude some fruit, and I think all fruit is healthy.

This directly contradicts Paleo dogma on legumes, which holds that we should strictly avoid them because 1) they aren’t part of our ancestral diet, and 2) they contain toxic anti-nutrients like lectin and phytic acid.

https://chriskresser.com/are-legumes-paleo/

Although, I was just making a supposition and was not really asking a question, this part of my statement was true. I still think there is some good in every diet, including Paleo.

Interesting how they don't include beans because of lectin and phytic acid but happily enjoy nightshades, nuts, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, sesame seeds and a bunch of other foods that contain them.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I don't like any diet that unnecessarily restricts foods. Grains are a big one for me; here is an interesting article on paleo/grains:

theplate.nationalgeographic.com/2015/09/11/ancient-oat-discovery-may-poke-more-holes-in-paleo-diet/
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Paleo has become a more umbrella term. Some people eat dairy, legume, and grains within reason and if they're prepared properly (i.e. soaking legumes before cooking them). Some Paleo gurus just argue that you shouldn't eat them if you're sensitive (obviously), or that there are more nutrient dense foods that these aren't needed in your diet. Loren Cordain hasn't budged much since he first "founded" the diet, so I would take any information of his with a grain of salt.

It is possible to eat Paleo no matter what your weight goals are. It does take commitment, but it gets easier. There are plenty of support groups online, especially for those with families.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Thanks for the info on Paleo dogma, but legumes were supposedly "not eaten by cavemen" is one of the reason legumes are not in the Paleo diet.

Sure, but my point was that they ARE supposed to be bad--that's the point I was addressing. The premise of the diet is that foods that have entered our diet in later times are foods that we aren't as adapted to, or as with legumes/dairy/grains, specifically bad. Not just that we should eat like cavemen for no reason. (I don't agree with them, just explaining the diet.)
  • Pattycake755
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @amusedmonkey, it is interesting, but personally, I have taken the good from several different diets and crafted my own. I love beans, but I can live without them, and I am sure that there are others who are on a strict Paleo diet that can live without beans. Some versions of the diet restricts sweet potatoes. It is a sustainable diet/lifestyle for some, and if @kazzykazz75 or anyone else wants to go on a Paleo diet, I cannot stop her from doing that. People can live without beans!

I am just sharing my opinion for what it is worth. I am not one of those people on here that tries to correct everyone's post, and force their opinions down everyone's throat. I am not a self-proclaimed diet guru. I have an opinion, and you have opinion, and I don't mean any harm to anyone when I share mine.
  • Pattycake755
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    Paleo has become a more umbrella term. Some people eat dairy, legume, and grains within reason and if they're prepared properly (i.e. soaking legumes before cooking them). Some Paleo gurus just argue that you shouldn't eat them if you're sensitive (obviously), or that there are more nutrient dense foods that these aren't needed in your diet. Loren Cordain hasn't budged much since he first "founded" the diet, so I would take any information of his with a grain of salt.

It is possible to eat Paleo no matter what your weight goals are. It does take commitment, but it gets easier. There are plenty of support groups online, especially for those with families.

This! I totally agree. Paleo has come to mean different things to different people. This is why I don't understand the debate (I am not talking about your post). You can use Paleo, Keto, and any other "real food" diet you want to lose weight and get healthy. I did. I have regained my health from following portions of these diets. I have shared this on my newsfeed with my friends. Yes, some versions of Paleo have restrictions, but the lists of foods you can enjoy are healthy, real foods. In my opinion, to label the entire diet as "bad" due to some restrictions is insane to me. This is just my opinion. All diets have restrictions and limitations.

I really hope Kazzykazz5 takes your advice. There are many support groups if she desires to go on a Paleo diet.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »

This! I totally agree. Paleo has come to mean different things to different people. This is why I don't understand the debate (I am not talking about your post). You can use Paleo, Keto, and any other "real food" diet you want to lose weight and get healthy. I did. I have regained my health from following portions of these diets. I have shared this on my newsfeed with my friends. Yes, some versions of Paleo have restrictions, but the lists of foods you can enjoy are healthy, real foods. In my opinion, to label the entire diet as "bad" due to some restrictions is insane to me. This is just my opinion. All diets have restrictions and limitations.

I really hope Kazzykazz5 takes your advice. There are many support groups if she desires to go on a Paleo diet.

I don't really understand what people have against food that isn't "real". Any single food can only be judged within the context of the diet as a whole. My diet today is a Paleo, keto and many other "real foods" diets nightmare. It had lots of dairy, grains, fruits, peas and some foods that some people don't consider "real" like canned tuna, processed meat and store bought ranch, but if you look at the day as a whole, it's pretty decent and nutritionally sound.

fyzq42ghzoul.png
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I've tried it but couldn't stick with it as it was too restrictive for me. Primal was a little more manageable for me because dairy/eggs/legumes are allowed. I would say now I try eating a ( not very strict) Mediterranean/Primal -inspired way as much as possible. But bread, pasta, and beer all make regular appearances.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I hunt, I gather, I eat :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I gained 26 pounds when I switched to strict paleo for all of calendar 2012 because I ate at a calorie surplus.

I then switched back to a SAD and lost 10 pounds for the summer because I ate at a calorie deficit.

Now, I eat mostly nutrient dense foods including some promoted by a paleo diet and some that are prohibited by a paleo diet...at either a calorie surplus or deficit depending on my goals at the time...because that's how this "diet" thing actually works.
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    454c0hsgchzq.jpeg
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I am Paleo roughly 60% of the time.

60% of the time, it works every time!

• Pattycake755
    Options
    Since I know that you have gone very low carb to no carbs before, Paleo will not be much of a stretch for you.