Anyone else always cold?

Options
I have been working on striking maintenance energy balance (still a work in progress as I've dropped down to 130) but find lately I'm freezing all the time. Like its August and I'm wearing sweaters, hiding under throws and have the furnace flicked on. I think my husband is ready to throttle me as he runs hot. Anyone else find they are cold all the time post weight loss? I had this issue when I was last roughly this weight but I don't remember being THIS cold :/

Replies

• annamaple
    annamaple Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! I especially get chilly after I eat even if the food is hot.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    annamaple wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat! I especially get chilly after I eat even if the food is hot.

Yes! Or if I drink water! I thought I was losing my mind lol
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your metabolism is low and your body isn't maintaining your temperature. Maybe you just need to eat a little more food.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,603 Member
    Options
    Along the lines of what @dykask has said, it sounds like you are showing signs of adaptive thermogenesis. You may want to try and experiment with a period of slow reverse dieting and overages of 50 to 100 Cal a day.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I felt cold when I was losing weight but back to normal at maintenance.
    It will be interesting if your eventual maintenance calories turn out to be higher than your deficit / rate of loss calorie level suggests. Mine did.

Don't be afraid of experimenting with eating slightly over what you think is maintenance level, you may get a pleasant surprise.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Not really, I don't feel warmer or colder based on body weight. I may struggle more in the summer when I'm fat, or feel cold if I'm not active, but that's about it.
  • Hungry_Shopgirl
    Hungry_Shopgirl Posts: 329 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm cold all the time! Its interesting to hear it might be due to eating at a deficit. One more thing to look forward to when I reach my goal I guess!
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm still losing eating 1800 so that could definitely be the case. Slightly nervous to go up more but I obviously have to try to to maintain
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I was always cold before I lost weight and started exercising. I was notorious for wearing sweat pants, long sleeves and socks all summer long. Now I am at an even keel on the temperature. It might also be my hormones..LOL :)
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Losing weight took care of my hot flashes. I no longer have them, and I run cold now. I'm the weird lady carrying a sweater in July and August.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I was always hot. Dropped 55 and I froze for months. Seems like I'm readjusting after 8+ months of maintenance
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    I have been working on striking maintenance energy balance (still a work in progress as I've dropped down to 130) but find lately I'm freezing all the time. Like its August and I'm wearing sweaters, hiding under throws and have the furnace flicked on. I think my husband is ready to throttle me as he runs hot. Anyone else find they are cold all the time post weight loss? I had this issue when I was last roughly this weight but I don't remember being THIS cold :/

Yes, last winter was the most horrible winter ever. I was just lamenting this morning that it will be getting cool again soon.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Yes, but mine is related to a medical condition being exacerbated by living in Newfoundland.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I've always been someone who was cold, but now losing about 28lbs has indeed made it worst. I also always feel like I'm going to blow away during a strong wind.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining my weight for years and I'm still cold all the time. My husband's possibly broscience explanation is that muscle mass is what keeps you warm and that's my problem. I haven't done the research so I just continue to freeze.

I think the more likely explanation is that I have low blood pressure which has lowered a bit more with weight loss - at least that accounts for the cold extremities I think. I'm warmer on days I've done a fairly intense workout in the morning because it's at least got my heart pumping faster and all that. So...regular vigorous exercise is my only possible solution for you based on my experience, anyway.
  • Alienique
    Alienique Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Yes, always. I'm not comfortable in shorts and a t-shirt unless it's body temperature weather outside. Anything below 30C (86 F) has me needing a sweater or jacket. Doesn't help that I live in Canada, either.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Yes - particularly in the evening. I have to take a long, hot shower before I go to bed to keep from shivering. My house is 76 degrees. It's ridiculous.