Addicted to Diet Coke!

Options
123457»

Replies

• vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    NO way im giving up my diet coke i have one cup or one 20 fl oz bottle a day rest of the day is water !
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Why has no one mentioned Diet Mt. Dew?!!! That is the mana from heaven, it is the king of all diet drinks and reigns supreme over them all!

I drink basically all diet drinks with no issues, still drink plenty of water, and coffee. I'm slightly ADD so the caffeine actually helps me focus and none of the artificial sugars are going to hurt you (90% of them won't even trigger a glycemic response so you can drink them while fasting). They haven't ever hurt my teeth but maybe I'm just odd there, the dentist even tried to claim I had been flossing last visit (pfft she was the last person to floss my teeth at 6 months ago). All the bad claims against diet soda is false science and old wives tales.

And seriously folks - Diet Mt. Dew is the best.
  • e_v_v
    e_v_v Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    The idea behind diet soda is that artificial sweeteners confuse your body and make you crave real sugar. I highly recommend you watch "Fed Up," a documentary on Netflix that revolves around childhood obesity, but has excellent research and information regarding diet sodas.
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    Why has no one mentioned Diet Mt. Dew?!!! That is the mana from heaven, it is the king of all diet drinks and reigns supreme over them all!

I drink basically all diet drinks with no issues, still drink plenty of water, and coffee. I'm slightly ADD so the caffeine actually helps me focus and none of the artificial sugars are going to hurt you (90% of them won't even trigger a glycemic response so you can drink them while fasting). They haven't ever hurt my teeth but maybe I'm just odd there, the dentist even tried to claim I had been flossing last visit (pfft she was the last person to floss my teeth at 6 months ago). All the bad claims against diet soda is false science and old wives tales.

Except diet mt dew is gross and has 10 calories in it, according to their 20 oz bottle. That's probably about 2 or 3 more calories than diet coke. Way to risky :p

• Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    ebrass73 wrote: »
    The idea behind diet soda is that artificial sweeteners confuse your body and make you crave real sugar. I highly recommend you watch "Fed Up," a documentary on Netflix that revolves around childhood obesity, but has excellent research and information regarding diet sodas.

I'm sure most of us already know the "idea" behind it. Knowing that doesn't make it true. It's not. I didn't crave real sugar when I drank regular soda. I like the mouth feel. I haven't craved real sugar in the ten plus years that I've been drinking diet soda. The claim is bunk.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

You probably have an optimal oral environment - which is down to genetics. I'm the same way. Last time I went to the dentist (new one for me), they were all chipper about the condition of my teeth - strong, healthy, no signs of decay, X-rays great, yada. Did mention that there was a little plaque build up and one extra flossing session per day should take care of it. Wanted to know how long it had been since my last dentist's visit.

They about lost it when I told them I hadn't been to one in the eight years I was in grad school (I was a student, poor, had no dental issues, it didn't seem important). And I didn't floss in all that time unless something got stuck between my teeth. And I drank lots and lots of diet soda. Mostly because the local water tasted horrible.

For people who aren't so lucky, the acidity of soda (and fruit juice, etc) can be a big problem.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Seriously dude? Diet A&W 10 root beer, or go home!!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Colt1835 wrote: »

Except diet mt dew is gross and has 10 calories in it, according to their 20 oz bottle. That's probably about 2 or 3 more calories than diet coke. Way to risky :p

Plus, just say no to BVO.
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

I haven't heard any arguments against it. What's the reason it should be avoided?
  • Wynterbourne
    Options

Not that it matters to me, but if you do a little bit of Googleing you'll see Coca-Cola and PepsiCo both agreed to remove it from all their drinks back in 2014.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I don't drink much soda myself (I do choose diet when I drink it), and I love water, but I still don't understand why water is believed to be so important for weight loss.

When i first started dieting i thought the more water you drank, the more fat you peed out.... Oh Lordy, I cant believe I'm admitting this in public :embarassed:
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I don't drink much soda myself (I do choose diet when I drink it), and I love water, but I still don't understand why water is believed to be so important for weight loss.

When i first started dieting i thought the more water you drank, the more fat you peed out.... Oh Lordy, I cant believe I'm admitting this in public :embarassed:

I am remembering a thread about this some time ago. The OP (not you, so others don't assume it was) thought that the white stuff (IDK, and I'm not going to ask) she was peeing out was fat.
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Seriously dude? Diet A&W 10 root beer, or go home!!

I bought some diet Dr Pepper today. I haven't put it in the fridge yet. I have never been good with the aftertaste of artificial sweeteners, so I usually go for the regular stuff. Bu this was highly recommended elsewhere, and I can't seem to find Diet Cherry Coke here. I usually only drink tea and water, but get the occasional craving for something fizzy.

As for the full fat dressing, if it fits in your calories, and you prefer the taste, go for it. There are several vitamins which are fat soluble, and it can help that salad stick with you a bit longer. Although personally, I would use some cheese and meats to get the fat, and use a light dressing instead.

As for the OP, It doesn't look like she's revisited this thread since it's been bumped from August, so I'll leave that alone.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

You probably have an optimal oral environment - which is down to genetics. I'm the same way. Last time I went to the dentist (new one for me), they were all chipper about the condition of my teeth - strong, healthy, no signs of decay, X-rays great, yada. Did mention that there was a little plaque build up and one extra flossing session per day should take care of it. Wanted to know how long it had been since my last dentist's visit.

They about lost it when I told them I hadn't been to one in the eight years I was in grad school (I was a student, poor, had no dental issues, it didn't seem important). And I didn't floss in all that time unless something got stuck between my teeth. And I drank lots and lots of diet soda. Mostly because the local water tasted horrible.

For people who aren't so lucky, the acidity of soda (and fruit juice, etc) can be a big problem.

I call Diet Mtn Dew "redneck mouthwash" because of my love for it and exceptional dental visits. Plus, that's basically what rednecks use it for. You know it's true.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I just bought a case at costco B)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Not that it matters to me, but if you do a little bit of Googleing you'll see Coca-Cola and PepsiCo both agreed to remove it from all their drinks back in 2014.

Um, it's in diet mountain dew.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

I call Diet Mtn Dew "redneck mouthwash" because of my love for it and exceptional dental visits. Plus, that's basically what rednecks use it for. You know it's true.

Really? I thought that was beer.

The hillbillies I lived near in Tennessee used moonshine.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    ebrass73 wrote: »

No, it doesn't. Not at all.
  • Wynterbourne
    Options

Um, it's in diet mountain dew.

They still plan on removing it:

"In January 2013 PepsiCo (while acknowledging that they "don't find a health and safety risk with BVO") announced that in response to consumer concerns they would discontinue the use of BVO in their Gatorade line of drinks. The company stated at the time they "had no plans to remove [BVO] from Mountain Dew and Diet Mountain Dew," but in May 2014 they reversed course and announced they were working to remove BVO from all their drinks, including Mountain Dew, Fanta and Powerade."