Protein after running

Options
Hi all you runners out there!!

How do you get protein into you after a long run? Do you prefer shakes or food?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    food most of the time. peanut butter and banana is my favourite post run refuel. i don't really worry about protein as i'm consistent in getting over 100g per day anyway.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I always prefer real food to powders. But if you are not in a situation to get in some quality real food protein, a quality shake is great.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Whatever is on the free table. It's usually a banana and maybe an energy bar. I'm not counting protein at that point but food is welcome anyhow.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I typically take this recovery powder with me in the car. Mix it with water, then get my protein from some kind of food. Cliff Bar, Turkey Jerky, Chicken Sandwhich ... something along those lines.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    I always prefer real food to powders. But if you are not in a situation to get in some quality real food protein, a quality shake is great.

^^ This!!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I never just do protein after long running or any running. I am looking to restock on some food in general. I do protein shakes only to meet my protein goal.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Why do you need protein after a long run?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

http://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition/post-run-recovery-starts-with-protein
    http://www.runnersworldonline.com.au/q-really-need-protein-every-run-just-hard-sessions/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25029703
    http://journals.humankinetics.com/doi/10.1123/ijsnem.2016-0021
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I usually have a whey/casein shake and a banana after working out (lifting, running, etc.).
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Eating after very long runs is not something I can do. It generally takes me a couple hours to get my appetite back. So after runs of 12 miles or more I always have an EAS Shake. It gives me an instant jolt of protein and carbs in a way that my stomach can tolerate.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I work out very early am I come back in the house from running or lifting, chug a shake, start coffee, get a shower, and then get my kids up and moving through their day. I tend to eat my breakfast like an animal standing in the kitchen sometime after this.
  • furmickc
    furmickc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I can't eat after a long run, my stomach just isn't ready. So if I'm running more than an hour, I typically have a recoverite shake when I get home. Easy to get down, and it provides some hydration.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    CincyNeid wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

1) Because microtears happen in your leg muscles, and tendons. And it's a good idea to help them repair. Some reason lifters use protein after the lift.
    I will agree for the average Joe Runner running in a 5K/10K it's not that big of a deal, but it's still nice to keep your body up and working properly.

2) Because some Whey Proteins do contain Potassium which will help with some joint pains. Yea I agree you can get potassium from Bananas and/or Kiwis as well. And yes I know that most sanctioned events do give out bananas post run.

3) If you're drinking a protein shake the liquid from the shake will help hydrate you.

So if you do a Recovery Protein shake you can knock three of those out with one drink.....

I would agree all the above is important for someone who exercises. However the timing is pretty inconsequential. Does not have to be done right after a run.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

1) Because microtears happen in your leg muscles, and tendons. And it's a good idea to help them repair. Some reason lifters use protein after the lift.
    I will agree for the average Joe Runner running in a 5K/10K it's not that big of a deal, but it's still nice to keep your body up and working properly.

2) Because some Whey Proteins do contain Potassium which will help with some joint pains. Yea I agree you can get potassium from Bananas and/or Kiwis as well. And yes I know that most sanctioned events do give out bananas post run.

3) If you're drinking a protein shake the liquid from the shake will help hydrate you.

So if you do a Recovery Protein shake you can knock three of those out with one drink.....

I would agree all the above is important for someone who exercises. However the timing is pretty inconsequential. Does not have to be done right after a run.

Within a 30-45 min window is what I've always been told, and I have read. I'm not by any stretch implying it has to be done as soon as you're done taking your last running step.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    Chocolate milk. I read that thing a few years ago about how it's the perfect carb/protein ratio for recovery, and I jumped all over that. Is it b.s.? Maybe. But it tastes good and I feel good so I keep doing it after tough runs or workouts when I feel trashed. I think it helps.

My tri club has chocolate milk for us at the finish line, the 4:1 carb to protein ration is pretty widely accepted as optimal for recovery & glycogen replenishment. I'm not sure if there are more recent studies that may have confirmed this or made the info obsolete..........but i agree, it tastes awesome and maybe it's a placebo effect but it works for me.
    Within a 30-45 min window is what I've always been told, and I have read. I'm not by any stretch implying it has to be done as soon as you're done taking your last running step.

Same here.....but I think that relates your body's receptiveness to glycogen replenishment.

• BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, chocolate milk is a good alternative to protein bars (which many people don't like the taste of) if it is available 30 - 45 mins after the run. If such is not available, something like G2, (Gatorade) or Powerade etc. is a good idea. If possible, carry a banana and some peanut butter for your post run fueling needs. If the weather is hot, freeze the banana ahead of time, and carry some peanut butter in a small ziplock bag. By the time your long run is over, your banana should be ready to eat draped in wonderful peanut butter.

Like many runners, I don't usually eat right after a long run (20+ miles). However, I do make a point to drink an energy drink, or drink what is often left of my special carb mix that I (sparingly) partake of when running.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

While there are studies showing some benefits to post workout meal timing, it (along with meal timing in general) is pretty low on the priority list as far as nutrition for the vast majority of us.