Protein after running

Options

Replies

• My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I always eat a spoonful of peanut butter. It's just so yummy.
  • amackg
    amackg Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Why do you need protein after a long run?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

1) Because microtears happen in your leg muscles, and tendons. And it's a good idea to help them repair. Some reason lifters use protein after the lift.
    I will agree for the average Joe Runner running in a 5K/10K it's not that big of a deal, but it's still nice to keep your body up and working properly.

2) Because some Whey Proteins do contain Potassium which will help with some joint pains. Yea I agree you can get potassium from Bananas and/or Kiwis as well. And yes I know that most sanctioned events do give out bananas post run.

3) If you're drinking a protein shake the liquid from the shake will help hydrate you.

So if you do a Recovery Protein shake you can knock three of those out with one drink.....

I would agree all the above is important for someone who exercises. However the timing is pretty inconsequential. Does not have to be done right after a run.

Within a 30-45 min window is what I've always been told, and I have read. I'm not by any stretch implying it has to be done as soon as you're done taking your last running step.

Can u have protein right after or do you need to wait 30 min
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    amackg wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

1) Because microtears happen in your leg muscles, and tendons. And it's a good idea to help them repair. Some reason lifters use protein after the lift.
    I will agree for the average Joe Runner running in a 5K/10K it's not that big of a deal, but it's still nice to keep your body up and working properly.

2) Because some Whey Proteins do contain Potassium which will help with some joint pains. Yea I agree you can get potassium from Bananas and/or Kiwis as well. And yes I know that most sanctioned events do give out bananas post run.

3) If you're drinking a protein shake the liquid from the shake will help hydrate you.

So if you do a Recovery Protein shake you can knock three of those out with one drink.....

I would agree all the above is important for someone who exercises. However the timing is pretty inconsequential. Does not have to be done right after a run.

Within a 30-45 min window is what I've always been told, and I have read. I'm not by any stretch implying it has to be done as soon as you're done taking your last running step.

Right after is fine.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The 30-45 minute window seems to be the conventional wisdom although many now argue that timing isn't important.

okay, cool.... if timing isn't important, then I'll fuel up 30 to 40 minutes after training.
    Is it all that important to me? Nope; I'm not training for the Olympics or looking to join the Marines.

Besides, I reckon that old habits die hard; 30 - 40 minutes it is.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Clif bars.

They have the 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein that studies have shown are beneficial after endurance cardio for better uptake of the glucose into muscle storage - so your workout tomorrow is successful, and make use of that protein with increased insulin.
    And they did do it in the 30 min window, and again within 4 hrs for a meal.

Personally made chocolate milk can be done the same ratio.

Then the extra protein shake before bed for use during repair time - again at least 1 study has shown benefit for next day's workout.

If not doing daily endurance - then it likely really doesn't matter.

Of course daily high intensity can match the effort of daily endurance - hard carb burning workout for shorter period of time - so both eating methods can be beneficial then.

Good graphic above for perspective.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The 30-45 minute window seems to be the conventional wisdom although many now argue that timing isn't important.

okay, cool.... if timing isn't important, then I'll fuel up 30 to 40 minutes after training.
    Is it all that important to me? Nope; I'm not training for the Olympics or looking to join the Marines.

Besides, I reckon that old habits die hard; 30 - 40 minutes it is.

Worrying about the 'nutritional window' is majoring in the minors. It's not necessary and the benefits, if any, are insignificant to about 99.9% of us, but it certainly won't hurt anything to refuel immediately afterward, or 30-45 minutes afterward. This is one of those things where it's safe to say "do whatever feels best for you".

I'm one of those that fits squarely in the "Not very important for" part of Alan Aragon's graphic pictured above, but I always drink a protein shake within 30 minutes of finishing a weight workout anyway. I know it's not necessary, but it can't hurt and may possibly help (however insignificantly), so I don't see a downside to it. If nothing else, I enjoy it while I'm winding down and it helps me with my overall daily protein intake.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I fit into the last two columns on that table (marathon runner; often train before breakfast, often for more than an hour). I would definitely rather have food than protein powder though do sometimes have chocolate milk after a long run (18+ miles). Today I ran 15 miles to work and when I got here I had some yoghurt with berries and muesli.
  • LiggyB
    LiggyB Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies. There are some useful ideas in here that I will try out. I, like many of the posters above, find I have no appetite after a long run, so some of the ideas have given me food for thought (see what I did there :D )

Thanks again x
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Right after is fine.

But so is if you get enough nutrition and hydration prior to and up to 24 hours after. trying to nutrition time when you are non-elite is majoring in the minors. a lot of effort for very little, if any, gain.

In other words you would be much better served by looking at your day/week instead and make sure you get all your macros and micros in (the timing will do very little)
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    If I am not ready for a full meal I like to do a couple of hard boiled egg whites and I take out the yolks (because I don't like them) and stuff them with hummus or something similar. Sometimes I have some Greek yogurt mixed with some peanut butter. Other times I go with a shake. I use either Vega Clean Protein, Plant Fusion or Plnt. and I mix it with water, coconut water, blueberries, spinach and a half a banana... yum!

And I agree that timing has very little to do with it. But, as a runner, I am always absolutely starving after a good long run!
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Right after is fine.

trying to nutrition time when you are non-elite is majoring in the minors. a lot of effort for very little, if any, gain.

How is chugging a protein shake after a workout "a lot of effort"?
  • Interbeing
    Interbeing Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking Muscle Milk <30 minutes post workout for the past few years, whether riding, strength training, swimming, etc. I have found that it helps to reduce soreness and recover quicker. It may be the placebo effect, but I do notice that when I don't refuel with it, I am more sore the next day. As I age I find recovery has become more of an issue, to the point that in the last few years I have began to cross train, and stagger my strength training sessions to give my legs more time to recover. Although I am putting in fewer miles, my speed and endurance has actually improved with the change in schedule. I may have been overtraining before.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Right after is fine.

trying to nutrition time when you are non-elite is majoring in the minors. a lot of effort for very little, if any, gain.

How is chugging a protein shake after a workout "a lot of effort"?

Depends where you are running and if you have to go out of your way to prepare/think about "having" to get something in within a specific time period, when all you have to do is meet your daily goals.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You beat me to it :) I have a running coach and he's very clear on getting protein after a long run. I followed his advice and ran my best marathon as well as qualified for Boston so I'll be sticking with it!
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I don't think meal timing necessarily matters a lot if you're only doing a short run, but I also agree that planning what to eat and when to eat it is not much effort. If I'm doing a race (I ran a half marathon on Sunday that finished at lunchtime) I have to organise myself to get there in time for my warm-up, have the right clothes etc., something to change into afterwards... so I might as well also organise my post-race snacks and put them in my bag. And it was a good thing I did, because there was food provided but I didn't have time to wait for it afterwards. Today I ran to work: organising getting up at the right time, pre-packing my running bag, making sure there were clothes, shoes and shower stuff ready in my office etc was more effort than also just putting some yoghurt in the fridge the day before. It's just a (small) part of arranging your training routine. And I'd have been hungry if my breakfast hadn't been waiting for me.
  • dbashby
    dbashby Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    To be honest the current science on protein timing is mixed and tends to be full of Bro Science and pre-existing bias on both sides of that argument. For each study supporting it there is another saying it doesn't matter, this is why it is polarizing. The one exception appears to be if you exercise in a fasted state, in which case it seems to be more beneficial but even that could be your body trying to catch up on the nutrient shortfall. Until the science proves more toward one direction or the other, I think you do what works best for you, your results and your overall diet plan.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    On weekends, I usually get up bright and early, maybe have a banana or something light and go for my long run. Then I have a breakfast usually consisting of eggs, turkey bacon, toast and fruit. Since I, along with many people, don't have the luxury of time during the week, I usually make a protein smoothie (protein powder plus almond milk or coconut water and frozen fruit, sometimes some greens) that I can sip on while I get ready for the day. I always try to get something in me within an hour of working out, when your body benefits most from the nutrients.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    4-6oz of cottage cheese with a few nuts thrown in and sometimes berries.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    eat when your hungry get in your proper nutrition when you want too.. Ingesting protein directly after a workout is just like ingesting protein three hours before a workout or three hours after a workout timing is BS except in extreme cases.. I would think all Calories would be more important than a specific Macro if someone is eating according to their planned workload already.