Protein after running

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Just hit your daily targets...that's what's important. After a long ride I usually have chocolate milk...carbs and a little protein.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I find a couple hard boiled eggs, along with some raw vegetables (broccoli, asparagus, just about anything other than carrots) does the trick.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'm noticing about half the comments are taking the perspective the question is about lifting, and timing for meals/snacks there.

Just to be clear this about a long run - aerobic endurance. Which is different.
    Though I'd wager the question with idea that protein is main thing to think about was taken from lifting advice that was read.

Then again as many pointed out and applies no matter which sport - if general training isn't at elite level (must you hit elite performance to be doing daily strenuous elite level though?) - then it doesn't matter to performance.

• Libertysfate
    Libertysfate Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    I always prefer real food to powders. But if you are not in a situation to get in some quality real food protein, a quality shake is great.

Ditto. Since my route takes me away from home and it takes a good 30 mins to drive home I tend to keep a protein bar, nuts or even pack a protein shake for after. Something to keep my stomach at bay until I get a proper meal in.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    I'm noticing about half the comments are taking the perspective the question is about lifting, and timing for meals/snacks there.

Though I'd wager the question with idea that protein is main thing to think about was taken from lifting advice that was read.

Then again as many pointed out and applies no matter which sport - if general training isn't at elite level (must you hit elite performance to be doing daily strenuous elite level though?) - then it doesn't matter to performance.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly but why would a performance not matter for training irrespective of beginner, intermediate or elite.
    Are you suggesting "general training" cannot be gauged by performance and that performance is only restrictive to "elites"?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Ummmm, beer with a scoop of whey seems like the appropriate answer...
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

I could see this spreading across college campuses all over the states.
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly but why would a performance not matter for training irrespective of beginner, intermediate or elite.
    Are you suggesting "general training" cannot be gauged by performance and that performance is only restrictive to "elites"?

Tad confused. What is the difference between an 'elite' athlete running for 4 hours and being exhausted and my fat *kitten* running around the block for 20 minutes and being exhausted? Not trying to be snippy, honest question.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options

Tad confused. What is the difference between an 'elite' athlete running for 4 hours and being exhausted and my fat *kitten* running around the block for 20 minutes and being exhausted? Not trying to be snippy, honest question.

Well, from a micro-tear/muscle damage/recovery perspective, an elite athlete will probably have covered about 35 miles in that time and that's a lot of running impact on the body!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

mOrwAT8.gif
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I eat beforehand since I run late at night. Food takes a while to be digested. I can't imagine having dinner 3-4 hours before running (given that it doesn't cause digestive complaint) is any less beneficial than having a snack after.

When the temps drop and I switch back to running early morning, then I'll run fasted and have breakfast after.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »

Well, from a micro-tear/muscle damage/recovery perspective, an elite athlete will probably have covered about 35 miles in that time and that's a lot of running impact on the body!

Even a non-elite (properly trained first-time marathoner) will have run close to a marathon in that time.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    litsy3 wrote: »

Even a non-elite (properly trained first-time marathoner) will have run close to a marathon in that time.

That was a response to someone asking if they are tired after 20 min would it be the same... easy answer there is no, not the same at all.

In addition our bodies are be able to use the food you ate earlier in the day, or that you will eat within the next 24 hours and performance wouldn't be any different than if they ate/drank right after their run. Other than for long distance events, meal timing is overrated and you would be more apt to focus on overall nutrition, once you hit that and are getting close to your genetic limits, then it may be time to start focusing on meal timing to see if it will give you that extra 1% edge you need at competitive levels.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    amackg wrote: »
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Why do you need protein after a long run?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

1) Because microtears happen in your leg muscles, and tendons. And it's a good idea to help them repair. Some reason lifters use protein after the lift.
    I will agree for the average Joe Runner running in a 5K/10K it's not that big of a deal, but it's still nice to keep your body up and working properly.

2) Because some Whey Proteins do contain Potassium which will help with some joint pains. Yea I agree you can get potassium from Bananas and/or Kiwis as well. And yes I know that most sanctioned events do give out bananas post run.

3) If you're drinking a protein shake the liquid from the shake will help hydrate you.

So if you do a Recovery Protein shake you can knock three of those out with one drink.....

I would agree all the above is important for someone who exercises. However the timing is pretty inconsequential. Does not have to be done right after a run.

Within a 30-45 min window is what I've always been told, and I have read. I'm not by any stretch implying it has to be done as soon as you're done taking your last running step.

Can u have protein right after or do you need to wait 30 min

Right after is fine.

But so is if you get enough nutrition and hydration prior to and up to 24 hours after. trying to nutrition time when you are non-elite is majoring in the minors. a lot of effort for very little, if any, gain.

In other words you would be much better served by looking at your day/week instead and make sure you get all your macros and micros in (the timing will do very little)
    Whether a person needs nutrients after a run is dependent on the person and the workout involved, in my opinion.

If a person has been through a long run situation, or an intense run session, I do believe (general speaking) that there is some benefit with post run nutrient. One doesn't have to be labeled an elite athlete, in order to supplement normal macro intake etc.

If everyone was of the same size, did the same workouts in the same conditions, had the same background history etc. your broad statement could possibly fit a running shoe or two. As it is, I think you painted with too wide a brush.
  • bmcneill1746
    bmcneill1746 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm an ultra-runner. After a run, I like to get cleaned up, drink several glasses of water, and sit down. Then, I'll eat some greek yogurt with chopped fruits-- mangos, berries, or peaches are favorites. I'll wash it down with a mango/protein smoothie in a bottle. Then a couple of hours latter, I'll eat a real meal.

Ultra-running is less about athleticism than it is about race logistics and managing one's nutrition, hydration, and electrolytes.

Anybody who can finish a marathon can do an ultra. He or she just has to be dumb enough to want to.
  • jdr0p_
    jdr0p_ Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    What do most people consider a "long run?"
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Why do you need protein after a long run?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

1) Because microtears happen in your leg muscles, and tendons. And it's a good idea to help them repair. Some reason lifters use protein after the lift.
    Taking in protein right after a workout does little to start the repair process. Muscles build and repair significantly well after not exercising that muscle anymore.
    I will agree for the average Joe Runner running in a 5K/10K it's not that big of a deal, but it's still nice to keep your body up and working properly.

2) Because some Whey Proteins do contain Potassium which will help with some joint pains. Yea I agree you can get potassium from Bananas and/or Kiwis as well. And yes I know that most sanctioned events do give out bananas post run.

3) If you're drinking a protein shake the liquid from the shake will help hydrate you.

So if you do a Recovery Protein shake you can knock three of those out with one drink.....
    You could do the same with a Gatorade sans protein for a cheaper price.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• BasicGreatGuy
    edited August 2016
    Options
    jdr0p_ wrote: »

I consider 20+ miles a long run, as I usually run anywhere from 13 - 15 miles a day during the weekday, with my long run on Saturday. I did run 26.3 miles yesterday though, and will do another 25 miles on Saturday.

A new person would consider 5 - 7 miles a long run.

It all depends on who you ask.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    Options
    I'm an ultra-runner. After a run, I like to get cleaned up, drink several glasses of water, and sit down. Then, I'll eat some greek yogurt with chopped fruits-- mangos, berries, or peaches are favorites. I'll wash it down with a mango/protein smoothie in a bottle. Then a couple of hours latter, I'll eat a real meal.

Ultra-running is less about athleticism than it is about race logistics and managing one's nutrition, hydration, and electrolytes.

Anybody who can finish a marathon can do an ultra. He or she just has to be dumb enough to want to.
    Ultra running is where the sanity is. ;)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    jdr0p_ wrote: »

Over 10 miles is 'long' for me