September (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Ok. Maybe the third runner to return this month is...... @ceciliaslater. It's not me. :'( GO CECILIA!

Carry on runners. I have taco casa (if you don't know what that is, I'm sorry). Edit- I'm the one that's sorry for eating it. Emergency stop!

mmm...TexMex...

so sorry about the slow recovery process @Elise4270 ...hang in there! Looks like I'll be joining you in a no-running month. Just made an appointment for my initial PT evaluation: they didn't have anything open until the 29th! Boo. Really I have no right to complain though. I am able to do plenty of other activities in the meantime. This evening I have my own version of a mini-tri planned: swim, bike ride home, dog walk (a.k.a. squirrel hunting)

@katharmonic that sounds very interesting!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @cljoe7 I'll take the company, but I'm wishing you a speedy process. I miss squirrel chasing with my long gone Tom. Good times!
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Weathering the hurricane with a 6 mile treadmill run yesterday, then decided to explore the neighborhood to look at damage on a 10 miler today. Ended up having to re-double back on some streets due to flooding on a handful of roads, but aside from some construction site debris, and a few branches scattered on the roads and sidewalks, it wasn't too ugly as the water generally stayed below the sea wall along the beach. Backyard/sea grass area behind me is still flooded, and I lost a patio tabletop, but the sea wall kept things safe.

My folks in Tallahassee survived relatively unscathed, but might drop by my place for a few days if their power isn't restored promptly. In theory I'm flying back north to Pittsburgh tonight, but I'm not sure how well the airport is doing with the relatively high winds.

On the plus side, I ended up replacing my smashed Forerunner 225 with a refurbished Forerunner 225 yesterday, so I guess that means I like the model.

9/1 - 6 miles (treadmill)
    9/2 - 10 miles

Total: 16 miles
    Goal: 190 miles, 8 MP+ faster sessions
    Remaining: 174 miles

Pic of the flooded backyard (luckily it stayed below the sea wall)...

0zcua7jkr8xs.jpg

np26q28t9l6j.jpg

• TattooedDolphinGirl78
    Options
    ^^ Wow!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @ohhim glad you didn't get any damage from the hurricane. My mom is just North of Tampa in Spring Hill and my brother said some branches down but that is it. My cousin in Tallahassee said a tree took down a pole at her place so she had no electric today. I wanted to get to FL Wed or Thrs my mom is in ICU but the hurricane took care of that. I would probably still be sitting in the airport.
    @elise4270 sorry for the extension on the crutches yuck :-1:
    @7lenny7 no real plans here, Skip's team has a meet tomorrow, but she is going to take off one more week to make sure her hamstring is truly healed. Got some house type things to do but that's about it. The other half is coming home for a short R&R Tuesday so that will be nice.
    @dkabambe great job!

• KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @KatieJane83 Coming North to visit us Canucks. :) Now I have to see if I can work this into my Schedule. I have a plan to do one event in each Canadian Province or Territory. This gives me New Brunswick and an international destination at the same time. Will probably try to link to a HM the week before in an adjoining Canadian Province. 3 for 1 Running Vacation Trip. Have passport will travel.
    http://bayoffundymarathon.com/

Ooh, that's a fun goal to have! I like it! Yeah, I found out about this race from my aunt and uncle who live up near Lubec, Maine. Figure I can make a mini trip out of it, and visit some family while I'm at it.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    First run of the month, and it was just in time for the weather to finally hit an awesome streak! Mid 70s, fairly low humidity, sunshine, and wonderfully breezy! Looking forward to some cooler temps continuing over the next few days. It looks like my neck of the woods (Rockland County, NY) should be inland enough to avoid most of the effects of Hermine as she moves up the coast, so I'm hoping to maybe just have some windiness to deal with.

y75nybiusn40.png

South Nyack 10 Miler – 9/11
    Adirondacks Half Marathon – 9/25
    Sleepy Hollow 10k – 10/22
    Bay of Fundy Half Marathon – 6/25/17
  • jringer1
    jringer1 Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options

exercise.png

First run of the month, yesterday was a walk day. So far feelin' great. 11.26 pace today that is good for me. Realized that the 10K I wanted to do in Oct falls on the day my daughter is do, so no good. Need to find another one in Oct.
    May 6 1/2 marathon in Pittsburg
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    4 hot miles at 1pm thanks to spending 2 hours in the doctor's office after breakfast. I was dying. I had shade but it was hilly and I'm used to morning running. I'll share some pics I took during my warmup and cool down walking :) Bridge/deer/"the tortoise and the hare"/some thing that fell out of a tree and almost hit me!
    sx2463zasj81.jpgbfcksshpdu2n.jpg
    jif60x1lbw6m.jpg
    if3i1wj37mbl.jpg
    rnbf9po8for3.jpg

• greenolivetree
    Options
    @Elise4270 Sorry about the crutches:(

@karllundy I ate at the kfc/taco bell gas station place in Ames once :-p

@skippygirlsmom I hope your mom is okay :(
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree great pictures. Love the tortoise and hare sculptures. Looks very pretty there.

Beautiful weather here today! Tomorrow is supposed to be even cooler. I can't wait!

9/2 3.01 miles
    Nice run tonight. I felt like I could have run longer but didn't want to push it because I need to do a 2 hour run tomorrow. I hope there will be people in the run group I can keep up with because it will be a long run if I have to do it alone. My regular run buddy is still on vacation.

exercise.png
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @greenolivetree WOW, beautiful setting for a run. I love my neighborhood horse trail run, but it really doesn't compare to your setting.

I'm hoping to run, if I can survive the altitude, while I'm in Estes Park, CO for our daughter's wedding at the end of the month. I'll try to take some pics, it should be beautiful as well!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Sept 1-5.9 miles + 0.6 miles with puppy
    Sept 2-7.5 miles

I did end up ditching my speed work tonight. Once I got out there and started running, I knew that I could do it. But it was so nice to do a relaxing, easy run in cool temps and low humidity, I just kept cruising along at a comfy pace and enjoyed the beautiful views of the river. I ended up with 7.5 miles but I felt like I could go on forever. Speed work can wait until Monday. This was an awesome way to start the weekend.
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    @mobycarp I love your nut butter math ;)

@lporter229 Good choice!

@luluinca I mostly just run my neighborhood but I feel so blessed to have access to such pretty areas once a week!

@katharmonic They also have a yellow sign like a deer crossing sign but it's for the tortoise and hare! So cute.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree lovely photos! The thing that fell out of the tree! Wha?! That looks crazy!
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    September goal.....run/jog/prance

9/1 3.12
    9/2 4-ish (technology malfunction...)

Total 7.12

Upcoming races:
    Las Vegas RocknRoll Half 11/13/16

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:
    exercise.png
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 Sorry to hear about your recovery being slower than hoped. You'll get there though, just trust the advice of the professionals and take your time so you are recovered really well in the end :)

@Ohhim Glad to hear you made it through the storm relatively unscathed. That flooding could have been so much worse.

@MobyCarp Best of luck in your HM!

@Orphia Congrats on the new PB - You're making some killer progress right now!

I still haven't made it out for a run this week, I couldn't even get out of bed until Wednesday and when I went for a walk to the library to return a book on Thursday, an old woman who worked there shouted at me for coughing so much that she made me cry (clearly still ill and tired, I'm not normally that pathetic!) so I went home and went back to bed! I tried to do a short yoga video on Youtube but the 34 mins took me over an hour because I had to keep stopping to cough or blow my nose, and I ached so much afterwards. I had a more successful session today though, managing to only stop twice through a 30 min video, so hopefully I will be more human and back to it tomorrow. I won't make it a long run though, even though my schedule needs 10 miles as my last long run before my HM. I will aim for 3 or 4 miles, sticking close to home so I can bail at any point that I need to, and then try to do my 10 miler at some point in the middle of next week, which should still give me a good 10 days between that and my HM. Although, let's be honest, my build up has been so abysmal that I really am just going for the medal and t-shirt, with the main plan going to be to treat it like a training run, so I'm at least ready for my HM I have in a couple of weeks :smile: Typical though how perfect the weather has been this week when I've been stuck in, it's due to heat up again next week...

Right, off to finish the last 5000 words of my dissertation and of my MA. Cannot wait for this to be done...

September running challenge

1st-3rd - Poorlysick

MTD - 0/70 miles

Upcoming races:
    18th Sept - Run Reigate Half Marathon
    2nd Oct - Tonbridge Half Marathon
    30th Oct - River Thames Half Marathon
    17th Dec - Lee Valley VeloPark Half Marathon
    9th April 2017 - Brighton Marathon
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp Love the pint glass! Race/running pint glasses have become my new favorite swag/expo purchase. I don't have any other glasses or cups besides coffee mugs anymore! Good luck at the race!

@RespectTheKitty Aaaah, you bowl? I was on a bowling league for 12 years (kindergarten through high school). I used to have my own ball and shoes and everything. I had to quit though because a 3-step approach + running meant that one side of my body was stronger than the other and my hips came out of alignment which was HUGELY painful, and I decided I liked running more. But I love going bowling with people from time to time because 99% of the time I kick their butts ;)

@cljoe7 Run commuting is great, if you can manage to plan ahead (I planned it for two days in advance and had my leave at work/bring to work list on my google calendar). Definitely invest in some shower wipes (baby wipes on steroids, essentially). Between those and dry shampoo, I wasn't grimey and I forgot that I hadn't actually showered.